New Golf R

alex_e3

I think that the purpose of this thread was to become a general thread about the Golf R in MK7 form.....

...NOT a thread about one owner to post his personal ONLY experiences & "today I am doing this to the car" posts................ 

If an owner was to do this I think they have the intelligence to start their own thread in the "non-skoda" cars section.............

Personally I think maybe the thread to be renamed "MK7 Golf R hatch & estate appreciation, reviews & info"....................would that be better?

• Like 1

I will join in with S3 chat

On the golf R, will be good to hear long term reviews but not sure much more to be said right now after the 60 pages

Let's hope the R estate info gets clarified soon too

• Like 1

Golf r, fantastic car, i owned a mk4 r32 fir a while and it was really good but the handling was a bit woolly, i hope in mk7 guise they have improved.. sadly they ars a bit out of my price range now though or i would buy one over any skoda like a shot.

• Like 1

http://www.digitaltrends.com/topic/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-long-term-test/

appreciate it's US but I thought the long-term test might be interesting if they actually look at some of the tech and what it's like to live with rather then how fast and grippy the car is - we all know it's very fast and very grippy :)

The link Bryan posted has loads of info, far more than you'll ever get on a Skoda forum.

This isn't being negative BTW.

It's certainly where I'd go to get a wide range of reviews from a large number of owners

Golf r, fantastic car, i owned a mk4 r32 fir a while and it was really good but the handling was a bit woolly, i hope in mk7 guise they have improved.. sadly they ars a bit out of my price range now though or i would buy one over any skoda like a shot.

No fear, the MK7 R is way better in the steering feel than the MK4 R32!!! Also the engine in the MK7 R is way lighter so front end less nose heavy!

having driven both............. :sun:

oh & if you want worldwide views of the MK7 R how about here....

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php

there are sub threads specific to the engine & the press releases etc..........

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

Just a general chat enquiry

How many Golf R owners are there actually on Briskoda who can chat with any experience on the marque?

I'm another 7R owner :) and a paid up member of Briskoda.

I do however spend more time on VWROC for specific R info, but use Brisky more as general car chat / off topic waffle, as it is generally a better run, more populated site.

• Like 2

No fear, the MK7 R is way better in the steering feel than the MK4 R32!!! Also the engine in the MK7 R is way lighter so front end less nose heavy!

yes, the vr engines are massive and heavy, its basically just an evolution of the original vr6 boat anchor with a few tweaks, they were pretty robust though, i still think i prefer that old school raw 6 cylinder muscle rather than a 4 cylinder turbocharged unit.

FYI OP.

Not too sure if you realise but the 'original' R thread has now been re-opened.

I am aware john999boy but thanks for info anyway.

However, I'm very P... off and probably won't bother with either- it's getting to be too much of a clique on here, for my liking.

Enjoy the on going topic relating to the R!

Also can someone tell me how a Golf R estate is a claimed £40,000 when the hatch is about £10,000 cheaper.

Confused.

Basic list price of Golf R 5dr hatch is £32,220,

Basic list price of Golf R estate is £33,585.

IMO the estate should be circa £32,920 as then the cost difference between the 5dr hatch & estate is then the same as for the other trim levels comparing same engine/gearbox.

Oh & I have just configured a new MKIII Fabia Hatch 5dr TDI SE L to £18,800............... :o ............simples, just tick everything on the configurator, most press cars are fully loaded, you of all people should realise this by now........... :giggle:

• Like 1

Looking at the configurator for the R estate I could be wrong I thought the car was going to be automatic only, as it states a six speed manual, also really like the fact it comes with a spare wheel as standard!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. 

Looking at the configurator for the R estate I could be wrong I thought the car was going to be automatic only, as it states a six speed manual, also really like the fact it comes with a spare wheel as standard!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. 

6 speed DSG "auto" only as per the VW Germany site also...................NO manual!

Oh & all MK7 Golfs have spare wheel as standard, some other VW's get full sized alloys as spares too!

6 speed DSG "auto" only as per the VW Germany site also...................NO manual!

Oh & all MK7 Golfs have spare wheel as standard, some other VW's get full sized alloys as spares too!

Have a look at the config on the english VW site, it states six speed manual, wonder if they have cocked up the config as I think you mentioned before, 

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/financeCalculator/generateDetailedCalculation?modelId=1584&trimId=2142&derivativeId=2145&productNumber=176044&price=37386&readonly=false&do-not-track-page=true&averageCarMileage=15&averageCarMileageDropdown=15&repaymentMonths=48&repaymentMonthsDropdown=48&deposit=5%2C000.00

not sure if that will work, 

Thats really good, I did notice that on SWMBOS 2007 polo it had a nice new spare wheel sat there and my 61 plate Astra has the gunk and a pump, 

I do wish they would get their info right ...............they say estate is £33,585  & state that it is only £695 more than the hatch, but 5dr DSG hatch costs £32,220  which is a difference of  £1,365.............numpties!

Also I can't find the VW info on the estate weight but usually it is circa 75-85 kg more is the estate for same trim spec not 100kg !...............Anyway of course it handles the same as the hatch as wheelbase & suspension is the same as hatch, only stronger rear springs needed, in fact having the extra weight over the rear axle will improve handling/grip compared to the hatch, & the estate defo does not "swing" the rear out pendulum style, just neutral!......well mine does anyway!

It will be interesting to compare notes on Long-termer.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/our-cars/volkswagen-golf-r-long-term-review

Liking this for the missus ,as her eventual replacement for the Fabia vRS MK2 ,not a bad commuter and weekend Dog carrier etc.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-r/first-drives/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-estate-review

Edited by vrskeith

Going for a test drive of the r hatch on Friday. Interested in the estate. Some Tom included. Have contributed to my 2nd car thread. The r estate would replace our vrs rather than running 2 cars

Specced up on dtd it comes out £32k but that's without the tech pack bargain as it's not on dtd.

I think that's a great price. If it drives how I hope then an order will be placed