Handbrake "failure"

So 5 minutes after parking up at work my car's handbrake release and it rolls across the carpark into the rear corner of a colleagues 3 series. :@

The handbrake was definitely on as the carpark is on a slope and if it wasn't on it would have been rolling before I got a foot out the door. 

Before anyone asks it was in neutral but still the handbrake shouldn't have released on it its own, the handle was all the way down when I got it and i always pull it past a few click when engaging it.....

Currently awaiting a quote to come through for a new bumper/grille + painting and it's booked it at my skoda dealer for Friday to have the handbrake checked but I'd be surprised if they find anything....

Proper **** start to the week.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that, seem to recall a thread perhaps on a different forum where it was considered a common occurrence, especially when handbrake applied and the discs were hot (not saying yours were), subsequent cooling of the discs increases clearance between pads and discs and then...

• Like 1

Hot discs did cross my mind but it's only an 8 miles drive to work at an average of around 40mph and i've never had any trouble like this before.

Luckily my colleague is being ok about it and has agreed not to bother with the insurance and i'll just pay him (his is a 10 year old 330d)

Ouch! So, could've been a lot worse and your week can only get better :angel:

Exactly, if it went 20 seconds later it would have flattened our maintenance man as he was just getting out of his car when it happened and he would have been walking past the front of it.......

My previous two cars had dodgy handbrakes - TVR and Honda Civic, so I now always leave a car in gear as a matter of habit.

It's more of a problem with cars that have rear disk brakes, as disks contract away from the pads as they cool, whereas drums contract towards the brake shoes.

Just want to clarify one thing as a few people have mentioned contracting rear discs....

When I parked it up the handbrake was on otherwise it would have started rolling the second I took my foot off the brake pedal and I always pull the handbrake on with a reasonable effort so it's on a good few 'clicks'.  When I found the car after it rolled the handbrake was OFF, the lever was all the way down so somehow the ratchet inside it had let go!

I'd still be suprised if my Skoda dealer find anything wrong with it.....

We have seen this happen in the office car park, a car which was parked perfectly fine for 3 hours just decided to roll across the car park and into the side of a delivery van. The driver witnessed it start to move whilst he was in reception, the owner of the car had been at work since first thing and it was almost lunchtime. The car in this case was a Fiat 500, so other brands are affected. My dad always leaves his manual Fabia in gear, as he is aware that these things can happen. 

Sounds scary that it could randomly let go, didn't vauxhall have a similar issue a few years ago where the ratchet mechanism didn't fully engage and then would release? sounds a similar issue. I'd defo park in gear to be on the safe side.

When you pull your handbrake on do you hold the button in or let it click through the ratchets?

I recall on a previous car that pulling up the handbrake with the button pressed in the ratchet didn't engage correctly & as soon as you let go it dropped back down.

Most people pull it up through the ratchet clicks, but my driving instructor (emergency services) marked you down unless you used the button in method.

Just want to clarify one thing as a few people have mentioned contracting rear discs....

When I parked it up the handbrake was on otherwise it would have started rolling the second I took my foot off the brake pedal and I always pull the handbrake on with a reasonable effort so it's on a good few 'clicks'.  When I found the car after it rolled the handbrake was OFF, the lever was all the way down so somehow the ratchet inside it had let go!

That's what happened to a number of Honda Civics, to the extent that they did a recall, and even paid to repair a number of them where it had happened before the recall.

I almost had it happen once, pulled the handbrake on as usual, and just caught the *side* of the handbrake lever (not the button) with my hand as I was getting out of the car, and the lever let out a "twang" and shot down. Thankfully had left it in gear, but would probably have been able to stop the car anyway.

When you pull your handbrake on do you hold the button in or let it click through the ratchets?

I recall on a previous car that pulling up the handbrake with the button pressed in the ratchet didn't engage correctly & as soon as you let go it dropped back down.

Most people pull it up through the ratchet clicks, but my driving instructor (emergency services) marked you down unless you used the button in method.

I pull it up with the button down as that's how I was taught during my lessons.

I've always used the button when pulling the handbrake and found it quite odd that some people don't use it...