A big thanks to the wellwishers..... and a health update.

Thanks chaps. Very very scary I will admit, but a huge thanks to all the docs who have been great (even though no one works on a weekend).

I know it will take time and I am in no rush to push things but Jeremy Kyle really is boring!! Fortunately no major diet changes are needed as I tend to eat pretty well, the fags have not neen touched since this started, admittedley I do get the odd craving but will not be giving in. The beer should be OK in moderation and thankfully have got no major plans until a friends wedding in July.

I am really thankful that neither the stroke nor the heart defect have done any immediate damage, as said a bit of dodgy vision but apart from that I do count myself bloody lucky.

• Like 3

JK will rot your brain - I am usually subjected to it when I have my hair cut as they have it on in the Barbers I used (mostly women staff).

Take care - sounds like you've had a lucky escape.

Firstly I would just like to thank all of those who have either PM'd or replied to a couple of threads started by members wishing me a quick recovery (one thing it's not going to be) all very much appreciated.

Now over to my sciving for the past few weeks. As the majority of men out there do we tend to ignore 'illness' and wash it away with Lemsip and Nurofen, as I had been doing for the previous couple of weeks. Anyway, after having SWMBO nag me I popped for a check up, that was just over 2 weeks ago and during those last couple of weeks have found the following:

On the Wednesday (5th) I suffered a stroke; although classed as major, barring a minor loss of field vision everything is OK.

Am now chomping on countless amounts of pills to also sort out a dicky heart (dilated cardiomyopathy) But will probably be on these for the rest of my life.

Without getting all sentimental it really does make you wonder; SWMBO's put it down to the fags and beer but a couple of quacks said it could be any number of reasons but at 30 years old there's not many people who would have seen it coming, me included, but I'll happily admit that it has **** the life out of me and made me think a bit.

Doc's have signed me off for a minimum of 4 weeks; I will be picking up PM's now but may take a bit of time getting back if it's over technical.

For anyone out there who thinks something may not seem quite right, don't try and brush it away, get to the GP's and get seen to ASAP - without your health your knackered.

(Sorry for the lack of smilies etc, rather than the heart giving up the ghost the computer did).

GREAT to hear from you Lee.

If your up for it, send me a PM with your phone number as I have some info for you. ( it's nothing work related so it's ok :))

Just echoing what has already been said, best of luck for a full speedy recovery.

After speaking to Macdemon about a health issue last year I can vouch for him, I found the info he sent me very helpful and also the phone call from him reassuring. 

• Like 1

Lee wishing you a speedy recovery and a long life line m8 , you say you are 30 well at 34 I had a massive heart attack and now I'm 53 so been there got the t shirt so to speak ! , fags and beer ! Knock it on the head NOW! Change your life style or the missus will be left alone :( , please get as much help as you can to get yourself lean and mean ;) first thing is get back on your feet and then eat the rainbow ( as many different coloured foods as possible ) eat porridge every morning with granulated lecithin soya on top , get plenty of cardiac vascular training in , eat well and prosper .

You are a desk jockey I think yes ? A pen pusher ? Well at every opportunity rather than having a fag and a pasty, get a fruit or 2 and a brisk walk you'll feel the difference but mostly get better ;) oh and have a good glass of red wine not beer !

Edited by seboni121

All the best Lee. Welcome to the club,I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy back in 2010 when I was 37 and resulted in a icd pacemaker being implanted in February 2011. Plenty of information out there from British heart foundation and other organizations. Usually it's inherited from one of your parents. With a few lifestyle changes,you can lead a normal life. I'm still doing my job as a spark. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions if you don't want to discuss on the forum. All the best. Richard

Get well soon mate ,keep your chin up its not the end of the world I had heart attack when I was mid thirties now well into my sixties and still enjoy a pint or two but fags did go.

Look forward to reading your posts when your feeling better :hi:

Jesus, a stroke at your age....

Glad to that you're on the mend.

As silly as it sounds, try to keep in touch with civilisation during your recovery. I didn't after open heart surgery and I'm still dealing with the effects some18 months later.

This is where this site comes in to its own, all the support is very much appreciated and quite surprising just how many people do suffer from heart defects. Harvey, just spoke with Macdemon absolute gent and very helpful.

Preston, any open comments or points please feel free to post.

Seb, technically a desk jockey but i must also suffer from ants in your pants syndrome because i do have to be doing something so fortunately i am regularly on my feet at work.

Bob, always good to read reassuring stories and the fags have definitely gone but will keep the post count rising with updates - all good i hope.

Jars, absolutely shat the life out of me, obviously i was foolish in thinking that this sort of stuff is saved for later life. A massive eye opener and although i like a drink and a smoke by no means was i a heavy/binge drinker, just looks as though its bit me on the arse quicker than expected.

This is a real eye opener. I smoke but hardly ever drink, now in my 20's. I think fags will have to go for me. 

Good luck on your recovery and hopefully you will be back on your feet in no time.

Not a clue Seb will try and have a rummage around to find it, don't think it was anything excessive though.

Keechy, it's quite surprising even after just a couple of weeks the difference no fags make. To be fair, feeling as **** as i have done the fags were the last thing on my mind but now that i'm back home the urge is nowhere near as strong and so far the fake fags are doing the trick.

I have not spoken to you or been in contact, but i do read your input with interest.

Get well soon,.

Would also guess that brisky members coming you for good deals on new cars could have been a contributary factor ( not really ) :D

Not a clue Seb will try and have a rummage around to find it, don't think it was anything excessive though.

Keechy, it's quite surprising even after just a couple of weeks the difference no fags make. To be fair, feeling as **** as i have done the fags were the last thing on my mind but now that i'm back home the urge is nowhere near as strong and so far the fake fags are doing the trick.

By fake fags do you mean electric ones?