I Didn't Know The Yeti Did This....!

aerofurb

If I remember correctly, the FL B-Xenon equipped Yetis have Skoda's AFS II (Adaptive Frontlight System) which does far more than the original set up - ie cornering headlamps only.

With AFS II there is also beam control depending on speed and conditions such as a longer beam at higher speeds in clear weather (wipers off) and reduced beam length in rain. Also below 36 mph, the offside light angles towards the opposite kerb.

I presume the thinking is that if you put the lights on 'manual' it may be daylight so the lights are on to be seen rather than to see with.

It still dumbfounds me why the lights 'on' indications on the FL are incredibly nonsensical!  

Yes, absolutely correct. Initially I was concerned that there was something wrong with the driver's side headlamp as it seemed to point far to much to the right at "town speeds" - particularly noticeable on main beam. But as you speed up, the driver's lamp angles back toward a normal straight ahead position. Interestingly, as you select reverse, the light quickly moves to a normal position.

At around 70mph both headlamps also lift their beams slightly to give a longer range. Great for you as the driver, but it must be annoying for cars you are catching in front because just like modern Range Rovers, Mercs, BMW's Audis etc that all do this at speed, your lights must be dazzling the driver in front as you approach.

As for the lack of a "lights on" indication in the instrument binnacle, what a retrograde step.

In fact, I think it's downright dangerous because people will leave the light switch in the Auto position and not realise they've no lights on in daylight in fog or rain, because the instruments are still lit. It doesn't help that the display on the Amundsen unit seems to dim completely independently from whatever the car's Auto headlight lights are doing. So, at dusk you may think you've got your lights on because the SatNav display has dimmed to "night mode", but your car's lights haven't yet come on. Ridiculous!

John H

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 1

It doesn't help that the display on the Amundsen unit seems to dim completely independently from whatever the car's Auto headlight lights are doing. So, at dusk you may think you've got your lights on because the SatNav display has dimmed to "night mode", but your car's lights haven't yet come on. Ridiculous!

My 2015 L &  K is the same.

TIBET I's (2009) Columbus display was linked to the headlights and went into night mode when the head lights were on.

I can't remember what TIBET II's (Pre FL 2012) Columbus did but certainly TIBET III's (FL 2014) Columbus' display has an independent light sensor and does it's own thing irrespective of what the headlights are doing. I run it in night mode permanently.

Similarly with the lights 'on' indication in the instrument cluster - it was there definitely on TIBET I and I can't recall whether TIBET II had it or not. I did email Skoda UK as to why it had been removed (EU directive or what) but never received a response.

Sad to pass a pre FL Yeti with front and rear fog lights blazing away in clear conditions on a busy M40 this evening. Obviously the instrument cluster warning lights offered no clue....

I have the Amundsen+ the screen changing to dark is a lot more noticeable than the little indicator on the light switch.  :thumbup:

I've just discovered that as well as the fog lights coming on when cornering , they also come on when you put the indicators on (left for left fog , right for right) . I love discovering new Yeti stuff (well new to me anyway)  :sun:

I was followed for some distance this morning by a 65 plate Yeti and noticed the fog lights did exactly what you describe above when he indicated left or right. What I don't understand (bearing in mind the Skoda "simply clever" slogan) is that it was 10am on a very bright sunny morning. You'd think the car would cancel this feature in broad daylight. He did have his dipped beams on but even so, the lillumination of the individual fog light when indicating in these conditions seemed pointless.

I was followed for some distance this morning by a 65 plate Yeti and noticed the fog lights did exactly what you describe above when he indicated left or right. What I don't understand (bearing in mind the Skoda "simply clever" slogan) is that it was 10am on a very bright sunny morning. You'd think the car would cancel this feature in broad daylight. He did have his dipped beams on but even so, the lillumination of the individual fog light when indicating in these conditions seemed pointless.

The car can only do so much though , if the owner thinks the lights need to be on , I suppose the car has to assume he's right and it's dark enough for the lights to be on .

• Like 2

The light sensor measures ambient light not visibility - one of the main issues with 'auto' lights (in my humble opinion).

You can have a bright day but poor visibility so sometimes human involvement is required! (Not saying that this was the case in X19's example)

Cruise Control and "Resume" function.  Something I only just discovered when using Cruise Control but should probably have known about previously!!  If you have a speed set and wish to accelerate or decelerate to a new speed, you can use the accelerator or brake, as appropriate, ands when the new speed is reached briefly depress the lower part of the CC rocker switch.  You are then back in CC ast the new speed.

Why not! Is there another way of reducing speed

Yup.

Use the - button (resume button when cruise speed set) press and hold to reduce to required speed gradually, or press briefly to reduce speed in 1km increments.

The + set button works the same for increasing speed.

Instead of braking to disengage cruise, flick the on/off switch on the top of the indicator stalk or press clutch briefly and lightly.

Use the - button (resume button when cruise speed set) press and hold to reduce to required speed gradually, or press briefly to reduce speed in 1km increments.

The + set button works the same for increasing speed.

Other way round.

Resume /+ button increases speed if CC set

Set  /- button decreases speed if CC set.

Edited by Urrell

I agree that the rocker, if held, will accelerate or decelerate at approximately 1mph/second.  But my earlier suggestion works more rapidly e.g on the motorway at 70 with CC engaged and need to reduce to 50 for roadworks, then brake to 50, which will disengage CC from 70 and once at 50 briefly press bottom of CC rocker and CC will immediately re-engage at 50.  If yo press rocker at top it will re-engage at the last selected speed i.e.70.  Leave 50 zone and to return to 70 press accelerator and once at 70 briefly press bottom of CC rocker and CC will then hold at 70.

my earlier suggestion works more rapidly e.g on the motorway at 70 with CC engaged and need to reduce to 50 for roadworks, then brake to 50, which will disengage CC from 70 and once at 50 briefly press bottom of CC rocker and CC will immediately re-engage at 50.

How about just flicking the switch to disengage CC until down to the required speed when a touch on bottom of rocker will engage CC at chosen speed.

Why the need to brake when the speed limit signs are plenty big enough to see from afar?

Also brake lights appearing ahead will make others think there is a problem and brake themselves and before you know it the road is at a halt, ever stopped on a road and when getting going again found no reason for it?

• Like 2

Yes, that would work too.  Perhaps I should simplify by just saying that if you want to re-engage CC at a speed different to that previously selected, then simply press the bottom of the rocker rather than the top.

These posts have just reminded me why I rarely use it! :)

I know some folks love it but for me the switch is too small and fiddly (I prefer the bigger separate switch type) and operating it takes my concentration away from the road ahead.

Many will disagree I know but that's my view.

Many will disagree I know but that's my view.

I know, my wife has a problem doing two things together too :sun:

I do have a bit of practice using the switch though, 2 years in Yeti and 10½ years in my Fabia.

Yes, that would work too.  Perhaps I should simplify by just saying that if you want to re-engage CC at a speed different to that previously selected, then simply press the bottom of the rocker rather than the top.

All of this stuff is just "how cruise control works", though - AFAIK it's no different on the Yeti to any other car that has CC.  I was driving my BiL's Subaru the other day and the CC worked exactly the same (Set/-, Resume/+ etc) the only difference being that the buttons were in a different place (on the face of the steering wheel at about the 4 o'clock position - pretty useless, really).  Cruise control disengaging when you brake, or depress the clutch to change gear*, is also universal CC behaviour - in fact you really wouldn't want it to do otherwise.

* Not applicable to automatics, obviously!

All of this stuff is just "how cruise control works", though - AFAIK it's no different on the Yeti to any other car that has CC.  I was driving my BiL's Subaru the other day and the CC worked exactly the same (Set/-, Resume/+ etc) the only difference being that the buttons were in a different place (on the face of the steering wheel at about the 4 o'clock position - pretty useless, really).  Cruise control disengaging when you brake, or depress the clutch to change gear*, is also universal CC behaviour - in fact you really wouldn't want it to do otherwise.

* Not applicable to automatics, obviously!

I would - I would like it to have a brake function (just a simple one, not necessarily owned that keeps you a set distance from the car in front). This would ensure the car maintained the set speed going down hills too steep for engine braking alone to maintain the set speed.

I know, my wife has a problem doing two things together too :sun:

I do have a bit of practice using the switch though, 2 years in Yeti and 10½ years in my Fabia.

:) It's just one of those things I've never been comfortable with on our crowded roads.

Only time I've regularly used it was on the M1 when I had one of my Passats and having to drive through those endless miles of roadworks with the 50 mph limits.

Only once I've longed for CC was on a motorcycle trip to Austria when the hours of holding the throttle open on the motorways made my hand hurt!

Edited by VAGCF

Only once I've longed for CC was on a motorcycle trip to Austria when the hours of holding the throttle open on the motorways made my hand hurt!

My Harley CC is even easier, everything under left thumb. Excellent for 3 - 400 mile days

Other way round.

Resume /+ button increases speed if CC set

Set /- button decreases speed if CC set.

Ooops

I would - I would like it to have a brake function (just a simple one, not necessarily owned that keeps you a set distance from the car in front). This would ensure the car maintained the set speed going down hills too steep for engine braking alone to maintain the set speed.

Exactly what adaptive cruise does.

A mate has it on his new Jeep.

Charge down a motorway slip road at 70 and it will brake to a stop behind the car in front.

Damn scary the first time he demonstrated it though!

Edited by CFB