Performance cars,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

@Lee

Is this a performance car?

996621_10151695232744389_1773146998_n.jp

It performed pretty well yesterday, 1st in class and 3rd overall out of over 40 cars. Watch video and judge for yourself. Touching the grass on the quickest bit was entertaining :D

http://youtu.be/z6i5Zmtae0Y

that's just a shameless plug :dull:

But I like it :D

• Like 4

Lamborghini probably sell more diesels than petrols... They make tractors too!

Indeed, however Deuts,Hurliman and Lambo tractors all use Deuts engines, not Lambo. And with their reliability they should try using lambos engines.

Road going diesels that do 0-60mph in 5 to 6 seconds.

To me that's a performance car and people use the noise they make to say no?

I didn't realise a performance car was judged on the noise it made.

Must be why teenagers fit raspy exhausts to 1.2 Corsas.  Makes them a true performance car.

• Like 4

If a golf gti is a performance car, then the GTD surely has to be too.

A little less bhp maybe, but much, much more torque.

They dont sound that bad either, IMO.

Makes sense to have one if you do a decent amount of miles and still want a fun, relatively quick hatch.

• Like 1

That Q7 sounds more like an early 80s F1 car. Sure that's not a sneaky edit.

Anyway I'd argue that most modern 'sporting' cars sound shoite now anywa due to the noise regs.

Tesla S - Performance Model. 0-60 is something like 4.2s.

It's electric does this count as a performance car. Would you put it in the same league as a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche et al?

tesla_model_s_performance_model_503d2903

When you can prove that the electricity used generated 0 emissions, and do 500 miles at half your Vmax without needing to refuel, then your claims may be true!

When you can prove that the electricity used generated 0 emissions, and do 500 miles at half your Vmax without needing to refuel, then your claims may be true!

His claims were 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds.

The zero emission claims were just in the copied picture.

Where were the claims of needing to do 500 miles at half V-max?

• Like 2

I know they do but i said lambo and ferrari.... Just saying

I know, but the implication was that performance car manufacturers don't use diesel engines, which isn't true.

the whole thing is a bit odd to me, you may as well say something isn't a true performance car if it has an automatic gearbox and an open diff. I prefer the sound of a petrol engine but realistically a fast, good handling car is a fast, good car regardless of which pump you use to fill it's tank

• Like 4

I know, but the implication was that performance car manufacturers don't use diesel engines, which isn't true.

the whole thing is a bit odd to me, you may as well say something isn't a true performance car if it has an automatic gearbox and an open diff. I prefer the sound of a petrol engine but realistically a fast, good handling car is a fast, good car regardless of which pump you use to fill it's tank

I was merely trying to spark a debate :) fully aware some performance car manufacturers use diesel engines but take porsche.. There top spec 911.... Petrol. For a reason probably.

Going back to electric cars, the internal combustion engines days are numbered, the speed part is already taken care of and as soon as they figure out a way of getting a good range for them that will be it.

• Like 1

I was merely trying to spark a debate :) fully aware some performance car manufacturers use diesel engines but take porsche.. There top spec 911.... Petrol. For a reason probably.

Good debate. :)

Fast diesel technology is a relatively new thing.

A lot of people with the money to buy a new Porsche wouldn't want a diesel because they just can't get their heads around the idea.

Amusing really when you consider Porsche is about to become a bigger seller of SUVs worldwise than performance cars, and it's Audi engined SUVs are very popular.

His claims were 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds.

The zero emission claims were just in the copied picture.

Where were the claims of needing to do 500 miles at half V-max?

They're Tesla's, IMO highly misleading if not plain wrong, claims.

"Zero emissions" to me means that no fossils were burnt to make the electicity, and no ozone was created by HT transformers along the transmission line.

"No compromises" - Well I do 500 miles at cruising speed without refuelling way more often than I do full throttle acceleration from rest. Having to stop for 8 hours to recharge my car every 100 miles strikes me as a compromise in what I want it to do.

They're Tesla's, IMO highly misleading if not plain wrong, claims.

"Zero emissions" to me means that no fossils were burnt to make the electicity, and no ozone was created by HT transformers along the transmission line.

"No compromises" - Well I do 500 miles at cruising speed without refuelling way more often than I do full throttle acceleration from rest. Having to stop for 8 hours to recharge my car every 100 miles strikes me as a compromise in what I want it to do.

You quoted Coops when you said:

No high performance car will do half it's Vmax for 500 miles without stopping.

My Nissan will do maybe 150 miles at 100mph, roughly half it's Vmax.

As for 8 hours to recharge after 100 miles...

I assume that's an April Fool, because it just shows a complete lack of info/understanding of current Electric Car technology.

The Tesla will do way, way over 100 miles when cruising.  More than double that.

And the Supercharger stations will give you an extra 100+ miles in about 30 minutes I believe.

Not to mention like a phone you charge it while not using it, meaning you get a "full tank" everytime you go to use it, if desired.

But yes, it may not suit you exactly if you want to drive 500 miles without stopping.

However, regardless of that it's still a performance car. :)

• Like 1

Look RIchard, my quote included a Tesla advertising picture, so by your argument Coops was quoting Tesla.

As to the claim that a Tesla can cruise for 200 miles and achieve a 50% chrage in 30 minutes without adversely affecting accumulator life, {independant cite needed}

As to the claim that a Tesla can cruise for 200 miles and achieve a 50% chrage in 30 minutes without adversely affecting accumulator life, {independant cite needed}

AutoCar.

On a typical motorway run, expect a range of 220 to 250 miles. If you’re prepared to cruise at a 50-60mph A-road pace, 300 miles would be routinely achievable.

Battery warranty for 8 YEARS.

Have a look on the interwebs if you're interested.

EVs don't take an age to charge and don't all need charging every 100 miles. :)

We are probably taking this off topic though, because wether people like it or not the Tesla model S is an EV with performance to be classified as a performance car.

And it's completely usable day to day.

All proper cars are petrol powered, I can't imagine a diesel engine sounding as good as a V8 petrol at high revs.

Yeh, these Diesels are really boring and slow and they sound crap!!!

http://youtu.be/24afjVqm2Uw

There is nothing better than beating a decent petrol performance car when you're in a diesel. My old BMW 335d would beat most M3s on the track.

And I hear some folks saying they run out of power just when you're getting going. That's because you don't know how to drive them. If it's RPM you're after then go and take a Yamaha R6 for a spin and you'll soon say that your petrol car runs out of power when things start getting fun.

Tesla S - Performance Model. 0-60 is something like 4.2s.

It's electric does this count as a performance car. Would you put it in the same league as a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche et al?

tesla_model_s_performance_model_503d2903

What about the newish electric Merc?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-benz/sls/road-test/electric-drive-driven

Surely the fuel is irrelevant, be it petrol, diesel or electric. Petrol has long proved to be the choice for "performance cars" but with the advent of improved technology diesel has started to come through but there will be a number of different elements which can lead to a vehicle being classed as a performance car.

Is it acceleration, top speed, in gear performance eg 50-70, engine power, torque etc etc

If you take acceleration at what point does it become a performance car - sub 7 secs (Fiat 500 Abarth), sub 6 secs (Porsche Cayman 2.7) or are we talking lower?

• Like 1