Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

For those with BlackVue, with the Black Magic device fitted, how has the power drain?

Reason asked my Octavia has had it's bonnet vandalised this morning, and as yet again the CCTV is down, nothing has been caught. So I've thinking of added the camera to run whilst parked as this would have been caught on camera.

But I don't want to end up having starting and battery issues. Any input or experience would be helpful.

Why blackvue? Because I've already got this camera.

Get a Power magic pro and you can set it to turn the camera off after a number of hours or when the battery voltage drops below a certain amount.

Pretty sure I have had mine in parking mode for a couple of days with no issues.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, got most of the bits, found I needed a long USB lead so have ordered today. I did order a 32gb Kingston card via eBay but this card did not work in the Mobius camera, there is a test program linked on the Mobius website so I ran that and found failures on all 4 runs. Contacted the seller and was refunded within the hour. He has not asked for the card to be returned so I may have a free card that works as a data card but not in the camera. Moral, don't trust eBay for these cards! Now ordered one on Amazon which is supplied by them so that should be okay also ordered the 1.8m USB lead at the same time.

Okay, question time. I want to make the installation as hidden as I can, to this end I want to hide the lead in the passenger A pillar behind the trim and run the lead down to the fuses and not across the corner of the dash. Is it okay and easy enough to push the lead in where the trim meets the windscreen? If not what is the best way to remove the trim panel?.

Anyone used a Mobius on a tinted rear screen, does it still work okay?

Edited by ajw1100

The cable will tuck in along the top of the screen, then under the near horizontal join in the trim at the top of the pillar, then down the pillar under the trim between the door rubber and the trim - not down the screen side. Much easier down the door edge, easier to get to and plenty of space for the cable.

So... when is someone going to publish the first "How-to" with pics about installing one of these, running, the cables, getting a source of switched power, etc? :)

Edited by Jaco2k

Thanks guy's, its too cold and wet to do much at the moment so am using the time to 'investigate' whats needed and where to put it. I have ordered a stick on adjustable mount from China for the grand sum of 99p incl post so no major loss if I don't like it, I have plenty of Aluminium to make one if needs be but the ordered one does have a swivel adjustment.

If this turns out okay, swmbo wants one for her Rapid Spaceback so I'd better get this right !

They already have. Go back through the thread - page 6

Thanks - I had seen that, but it doesn't cover the sliding of the cable behind the trim.

I can figure the headliner, cause that one is soft, but the side-pillars are a bit hard - can you bend enough to stick the cable through?

Go to page 5 and look at the photo I put up - I simply pushed it in the gap on the join at the top of the pillar but didn't actually push the cable through.

So, the cable is visible on the pillar? Hmmm... This is something I think my OCD wouldn't be able to live with :)

The "A" pillar moulding unclips.

That's good to hear, not being too intelligent - any clues as to the removal? I think there is an airbag behind the trim so don't want to damage it or the trim panel. I assume it is removed from the door seal edge once the seal is pulled off?

Probably being over cautious but better safe than sorry!

The top of the moulding pulls away from the "A" pillar.If you then take the glove box out you can poke something all the way down the channel between the pillar and the moulding.I used an electrical pull-through.You can then pull the cable through.

Thanks shempy.

fitted the piggy back fuse and the 12~5v regulator and wired it all up, the A pillar trim can be untucked from the door seal rubber and the roof lining is rather soft where it joins the said pillar. If I am not able to tuck in the gaps I will have to find a 'blunt instrument' with which to shove down/up the pillar so I do not spear the air bag :no:.

I am ready to go, all I need now is the micro card and the 1.8m lead. Pull your finger out Amazon, been 'Preparing for dispatch' for 3 days, how long does it take to pack a jiffy bag? Try the other end, the one with the big gap in it.......

Quick question folks, am using a Nextbase hardwire kit for the front camera running off fuse 48.

Is there any other fuse that's only powered when the ignition is switched on that I can run a similar system off for the rear camera?

Got all the bits at last, washed the car yesterday and noticed a small sensor on the back of the rear view mirror housing (Closest to screen side) on the passenger side roughly where I was going to put the Mobius. I would guess this sensor is for the Light Assist function so a camera in front would not be a good idea. Looked through the manual to find details but realised life is too short so can anyone confirm what the sensor is for?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info, what technique did you guys use to get the cable down the inside of the A-pillar trim? Running it across the headlining is easy and I can manage the wiring at the other end ok but the trim seems so tight. Is it Just a case of prying it back and pushing a cable rat down it or does it need to come off entirely? How are they held on?

Just for info, what technique did you guys use to get the cable down the inside of the A-pillar trim? Running it across the headlining is easy and I can manage the wiring at the other end ok but the trim seems so tight. Is it Just a case of prying it back and pushing a cable rat down it or does it need to come off entirely? How are they held on?

The A pillar trim has two clips holding it on. They pull out half way with a firm tug and then the trim needs to be pulled in an upwards direction in line with the pillar so that the clips slide out of the keyhole shaped holes they're in. It's easier to do than explain!

I'm not sure if all models have them but there are airbags behind the A pillars on my SE L so it's best to be careful when removing and replacing the trim. Any cables need to be neatly out of the way too.

Edited by Prog

There's a park function with my Navman. This starts when the ignition is turned off and works until the built in battery runs down. Sadly this battery is so puny it only lasts for a matter of minutes.