Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

Has anyone removed the plastic trim covering the Lane Assist camera?

I have mine to fit next weekend, and the cable ‘needs’ to be out of sight so so I need to put a small notch in it for the cable to pass though.

Gizmo, don't think you need to remove the cover, on my dash cam installation the camera is mounted to the right of the mirror and I was able to lift the cover slightly to push the cable into the void behind the camera cover. I then pushed the cable around the outside of the camera cover, then behind the roof lining behind the passenger sun visor and down behind the A post trim. No cable is visible apart from 50mm or so where it comes from behind the camera cover into the dash cam.

• Like 2

Cheers Andy, it appears that the Superb cover is different  :(

I will take a look anyway next weekend when I get the car back from it’s detail.

This is the Superb camera / mirror housing:

IMG_1356_zpsn54auq7h.jpg

IMG_1355_zps1ngandmw.jpg

I assume the two bottom halves will ‘just’ prise apart as I need to pass the cable into the cover where these two pieces join together (behind the mirror) 

My camera will be situated just to the left (passenger side) of the housing, but the mic USB cable comes straight out of the camera so the cable will run up behind the drivers side of the cover... hope that makes sense?

• 1 month later...

I've just finished hard wiring my dash cam. I didn't like the idea of using the rear wiper feed or in fact the sun roof which seems to be quite a common choice. So I looked a bit harder.

I have picked up on an un used fuse slot. Fuse no. 48 is an ignition live and isn't used for anything else. It remains live when start/stop is active and makes wiring very simple with just a spade connector plugged into the slot.

See pics below.

Please ignore if im teaching anyone to suck eggs. I just hadn't seen fuse 48 mentioned anywhere.

26a89294c1c4702f74e7cc0c471e0926.jpg

8bd09fadb27961634d307f593dae4055.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - I've searched and found the question asked before but without an answer.

Does the trim for the passenger side A Pillar come off (RHD car) ? It was simple enough to remove on the O2, but reasonable force doesn't seem to work now. I want to pass a cable down from a dashcam to the fuse panel. I've managed to tuck it in behind the trim so far, but I'm not that happy with it as the trim won't sit back as flush as it should be. I could do a neater job if the trim could be removed...

I didn't need to remove it so cant comment sorry. I just ticked it behind the door rubber and then sort of under the A pillar trim. Sits back down nicely. Perhaps you have a heavier gauge cable....

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I didn't need to remove it so cant comment sorry. I just ticked it behind the door rubber and then sort of under the A pillar trim. Sits back down nicely. Perhaps you have a heavier gauge cable....

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Thanks - yes it may be down to cable thickness alright. I might see if I can source a lighter cable.

Installed my Drivepro 200 yesterday. All went together very well.

Getting the glovebox back in was a bit of a fiddle but overall I'm very happy with the install.

The 'how to' on this thread was great.

I did try to use the unused fuse slot that had been mentioned but on my car the particular fuse slot suggested was not live at all. Used the rear wiper fuse. To save the hassle I got myself a Nextbase hardware kit, £14.99 from Maplins which was a doddle to install.

Once again the forum makes life easier!post-139103-0-63048300-1454504837_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Dinesy
  • Like 1

The glovebox replacement can be a fiddle but I found that you can replace the damper arm before pushing in the bottom hinges so that replacement then only takes a few seconds.

It is very easy to tuck the wire under the headliner and behind the pillar trim, I didn't even remove the pillar cover as it was easy to tuck the wire without doing so. If you use a piggy-back connector on the rear wiper fuse there is nothing permanent about it as it is easily removed.

• Like 2

Biggest problem I had was getting into the LHS door pillar trim to get power up to the camera - on the mk2 they pulled off easily, the MK3 uses steel clips and are really tight.

Getting the wire to the back cam past the central pillar was easy, and there was space behind the panel on the rear quarter panel to store the excess cable for the rear camera (which is stuck under/to the high level brake light pod)

Edited by peterhr

Biggest problem I had was getting into the LHS door pillar trim to get power up to the camera - on the mk2 they pulled off easily, the MK3 uses steel clips and are really tight.

Did you manage to pull it off without breaking any clips ? I was cautious of using too much force as I didn't want to damage the airbag either. I have the cable tucked in but I'm not too happy with it. As you say, it was easy on the MkII

The glovebox replacement can be a fiddle but I found that you can replace the damper arm before pushing in the bottom hinges so that replacement then only takes a few seconds.

I still haven't worked out how to re-attach the damper arm! It has been disconnected since I fitted the camera in October 2014!

I still haven't worked out how to re-attach the damper arm! It has been disconnected since I fitted the camera in October 2014!

I used a screwdriver pushing the little arm out extending it until it was sat on top of where it attaches, then just put the screwdriver in via the hole in the side and pushed it down, clicking it on.

I think I am going to order a front and rear dash cam, how easy is it to tuck the cables under the edge of the headliner and pillar trim? I don't think I have the balls for a permanent fuse connection as the car is on a PCP and not technically mine

I in the same boat. My car is a contract hire.

I used a Nextbase hardware kit from Maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nextbase-dash-cam-hardwire-kit-a45tx

You just take a fuse out, I used the fuse for the rear wiper, put the hardwire fuse into the slot and the original fuse plugs into the back of the hardwire fuse. I followed the how to on the previous pages and it went in easily. I just tucked the cable into the gap between the screen and the a pillar and then in to the fuse area as shown on the how to. Nothing permanent and all easily removed without leaving a trace.

Whilst it's a Mextbase kit the plug is a small USB same as the one on my Transcened DP 200.

Simples!

Edited by Dinesy

Did you manage to pull it off without breaking any clips ? I was cautious of using too much force as I didn't want to damage the airbag either. I have the cable tucked in but I'm not too happy with it. As you say, it was easy on the MkII

I didnt get it right off, just got the top bit free enough to see what was going on, and to feed a mouse down to pull the camera power lead up

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maplin are handy if you're in a rush but they are over priced, you pay for convenience.

The kit can be had from Amazon prime here for a couple of pound less and with the money saved you can get some trim removal tools?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XHYSQAC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_IO-Swb9WTEQ3D

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Just pull the box off the bottom hinges, clip the damper arm back on and then pop the bottom hinges back. If you lived anywhere near the Northants area I would do it for you.

What can I do about my dash cam. It hangs down too much...

Anyone recommend a good compatible holder?

a2158620177900d3c23fb095bd7bbe1e.jpg

It doesn't look as bad there but irritates the other half as it blocks her view! In fairness it would be better a bit further up and more discrete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What can I do about my dash cam. It hangs down too much...

Anyone recommend a good compatible holder?

This camera looks very similar to the mini 0806 so one of these should work just fine or if you want the mount with integrated GPS antenna try this.

Just check your model to make sure you get the right one but should end up looking something like this ....

mini-0806-dashcam-mounted-1.jpg

Edited by Makefish