Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

Speaking of which.  SWMBO recently reversed from the side of the road into a vehicle parked in the middle of the road.  Yes she should have checked her right hand mirror, but seeing nothing behind in her rear view she drove slowly backwards.

She hit the other vehicle (driver has mobility issues from a previous accident) who admitted to seeing her reverse but "didn't have time to reverse her own car"..  My question was why didn't she sound the horn?

After a little swearing and checking the damage the other driver got out of the car to check her damage..  She got back in the car and phoned her husband to inform him. After hanging up she complained of neck pain.

SWMBO phoned me - I told her to call an ambulance and the police (as her husband was on his way).

As soon as the ambulance arrived her "neck condition" had worsened but when the ambulance crew said they were calling the fire brigade to extract her from the vehicle by removing the roof, she soon got out on her own and onto a stretcher.

She is now claiming whiplash against SWMBO - even though SWMBO was doing about 5 MPH and the other driver saw the collision.

After we explained all this to the insurance company - they have basically said they will fight it, but it's likely to be SWMBO's fault as we cannot state the other driver was moving at the time of the accident (which would be a 50/50).

TBH a few things strike me as wrong.

1. Why was she "parked" in the middle of the road behind SWMBO.

2. Why didn't she sound the horn.

3. Why did she opt to get out of the vehicle once she found out how the fire brigade remove people?

SWMBO's insurance company are currently reviewing the video footage from her car along with the ambulance report.  I am so glad I got her this camera, without it we wouldn't have a leg to stand on - as it stands we can at least prove she is claiming more damage thanshe suffered.

Apparently she can no longer drive due to the incident, but has been seen (and I have a blurry image at present) of her driving her husbands car picking her grand kids up from school.

Sorry for the hi-jack.  Back on subject

Hopefully it will be sooner that all new cars are fitted with camera's.

From someone that has been thrown down the road( by a drunk driver), and the extent of my "injuries" claim lead to me pretty much just getting the cost of my bike back (only).... (although I did also manage to keep what was left of the bike for repair).

These kind of people should be NAMED AND SHAMED !

Scum of the worst kind, this lot should be ashamed to walk with the rest of us. 4 letter c word comes to mind for this mystery whiplash woman ?

I though this kind of nonsense was being clamped down on ? Hopefully that woman will be going to prison for fraud, which is what it is.

+ and back on thread.....sort of.....where have you guys found your mini dash cams from ?

I'd like to follow your installations but they seem quite pricey currently on amazon etc, compared to what they have been offered to in the past ?

Alternatively wouldn't mind one that was battery powered and could do both front and rear from a single unit and protable between vehicles quickly - but is this too much expectation ?

To be honest quite interested in mobius too as I don't use any dashcam. If I could have something like that (battery powered) and even just to take between the 2 cars I tend to drive is great.

220 is a bargain though, shame its no battery (like the 200 or 100) as I could just switch it between wires, keep it charged and you don't then have to worry about ugly wires.

Only really would want it for driving/ left parked at work, not really bothered about it recording while on my driveway, its pretty much clear dashcams don't do deliberate vandalism generally speaking anyway ( unless left in continuous mode which seems daft to me) and trying to replace the job of home security cams

+ and back on thread.....sort of.....where have you guys found your mini dash cams from ?

I'd like to follow your installations but they seem quite pricey currently on amazon etc, compared to what they have been offered to in the past ?

Alternatively wouldn't mind one that was battery powered and could do both front and rear from a single unit and protable between vehicles quickly - but is this too much expectation ?

I have a Transcend Drivepro 200. Very good camera. Got it from Currys it was on offer at the time. Currently it's £10 off, £79. Unlike just about every other camera on the market the Drivepro comes complete with a Transcend memory card, so if you need to take the memory card price away if you comparing cams/prices. Edited by Dinesy
  • Like 1

I've got Transcends front and back. But that new one with an interior camera looks interesting. I've always wanted to be in the movies.

I can live without it. Watching myself picking my nose and randomly commentating on stuff doesn't hold much appeal!

• Like 2

As I drive 2 I'm probably going to aim for something front facing but with easy transfer between 2 cars. I believe the transcend may allow that but not sure.

Was hoping for something entirely battery driven ( similar to a phone ) which would mean you could charge it out the car then just click it in to whatever car I'm on but I don't think other than the mobius that many are really designed with this in mind and its only for emergeny recording.

Mobius looks interesting but pricey compared to how cheap you can get the Transcend with a proper screen? Any likelihood the mobius is due to a price crash anytime soon do you reckon.

Any one else with a blackvue find they get quite warm? I've got a dr3500 and noticed this morning when scraping the frost that there was a nice clear circle around where the cam is on the windscreen lol

Hi encephalopathy, don't wish to offend but if you don't know which wire is + and which is -, You'd be better paying someone to do it. Dosen't take much to do damage to electrical systems or even cause fires. Insurance companies don't like those.

Any one else with a blackvue find they get quite warm? I've got a dr3500 and noticed this morning when scraping the frost that there was a nice clear circle around where the cam is on the windscreen lol

I have the blackvue 650 and yes they do get warm, VERY warm. So much so that I pulled my hand away quickly when I first touched it as I thought it was got enough to burn. It's not quite that hot but still very toasty.

As I drive 2 I'm probably going to aim for something front facing but with easy transfer between 2 cars. I believe the transcend may allow that but not sure.

Was hoping for something entirely battery driven ( similar to a phone ) which would mean you could charge it out the car then just click it in to whatever car I'm on but I don't think other than the mobius that many are really designed with this in mind and its only for emergeny recording.

Mobius looks interesting but pricey compared to how cheap you can get the Transcend with a proper screen? Any likelihood the mobius is due to a price crash anytime soon do you reckon.

The Transcends (and possibly others) clip in and out of the mount in seconds - including time to connect the mini USB plug. You'd just need to fit cables and mounts to each motor, I know Transcend sell spare mounts and probably cables too. I use their small adhesive-fixed mount, not the suction one. 

TBH the size of the screen doesn't matter much - it's not supposed to be permanently on while driving anyway. And if you need to view footage, a small screen is good enough then you can easily download files from the card to your computer.

(Edited for typos and grammar. Someone has to maintain standards.)

Edited by FlyingGecko
  • Like 1

I have the DP220 which I upgraded from the 200. It's a great little camera.....so far. It's worth the step up for GPS functionality. I also use the sticky mount rather than suction, these can be bought for £6.99 on Amazon, original transcend product. You can actually use the Nextbase hardware kit I believe which is about £14.99 put that in both cars and moving the camera from car to car is easy and done in seconds, the most time is spent walking from car to car!

I've been following techmoan on YouTube and the möbius gets a decent write up at first but the units never seem to last more than a year, the internal battery seems to fail. Also the type of battery is important, some batteries tend to overheat and destroy the camera in higher external ambient temps, something to bear in mind if you live in a hot country or you intend to travel. I believe it's a capacitor that functions best.

If you have the money Blackvue seem to be a top camera especially when linked to one of the smart boxes that you can tailor to suit your needs, running off you car battery when the ignition is off.

On the subject of the DP units, they offer wifi links to your phone which while handy is so slow I've just not bothered. It's easier to pop the SD card into my phone and transfer to file I want into my device storage. The beep when when you turn on the ignition is reassuring to let you know the camera has powered up and the very small unobtrusive flashing LED is there to let you know it's recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jonro2009

Speaking of which.  SWMBO recently reversed from the side of the road into a vehicle parked in the middle of the road.  Yes she should have checked her right hand mirror, but seeing nothing behind in her rear view she drove slowly backwards.

She hit the other vehicle (driver has mobility issues from a previous accident) who admitted to seeing her reverse but "didn't have time to reverse her own car"..  My question was why didn't she sound the horn?

After a little swearing and checking the damage the other driver got out of the car to check her damage..  She got back in the car and phoned her husband to inform him. After hanging up she complained of neck pain.

SWMBO phoned me - I told her to call an ambulance and the police (as her husband was on his way).

As soon as the ambulance arrived her "neck condition" had worsened but when the ambulance crew said they were calling the fire brigade to extract her from the vehicle by removing the roof, she soon got out on her own and onto a stretcher.

She is now claiming whiplash against SWMBO - even though SWMBO was doing about 5 MPH and the other driver saw the collision.

After we explained all this to the insurance company - they have basically said they will fight it, but it's likely to be SWMBO's fault as we cannot state the other driver was moving at the time of the accident (which would be a 50/50).

TBH a few things strike me as wrong.

1. Why was she "parked" in the middle of the road behind SWMBO.

2. Why didn't she sound the horn.

3. Why did she opt to get out of the vehicle once she found out how the fire brigade remove people?

SWMBO's insurance company are currently reviewing the video footage from her car along with the ambulance report.  I am so glad I got her this camera, without it we wouldn't have a leg to stand on - as it stands we can at least prove she is claiming more damage thanshe suffered.

Apparently she can no longer drive due to the incident, but has been seen (and I have a blurry image at present) of her driving her husbands car picking her grand kids up from school.

Sorry for the hi-jack.  Back on subject

Hopefully it will be sooner that all new cars are fitted with camera's.

Accept the accident, fight the whiplash due to the low speed and belief that it's not a genuine claim.

I'm no expert, (Although I have had it) but if you were reversing at 5mph, unless the cars are trashed I doubt there was much there.

Especially when can't move becomes oh I'm better when the roof has to come off.

When I had it I got out of the car and it's only later that day things started to tighten up and cause the pain.

Not nice, not great and sure insurance should pay for physio etc (Directly to the health care professional/clinic), but I'm starting to thing cash for it should be limited in the extreme.

I was asked a question through Amazon - does the Transcend give red light and speed camera warnings.....

No it's just a camera. That's probably why it's good. It's not trying to do anything else!

• 2 weeks later...