Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

just spent a couple of hours sorting out my dashcams in my vrs estate

front - transcend drivepro 200

rear - mobius 801 

I hardwired a 4 usb port adapter (  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHT9FL2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 )by butchering the cigarette plug bit into live/earth and drilled a hole in the rear of the glovebox so i can remove it in the future if i need to (hole big enough to pull through piggyback fuse thing)

I tracked the usb cables under the headlining at front and sides - top tip - use a small allen key to slide up the side of the headlining, rotate it 90 degrees and pull down gently to get a gap to tuck the cable up into

the glovebox damper arm is the devil's work and is currently sitting in the glovebox until i can be arsed to try and connect it again

it has however affected my DAB reception :( and i don't get all the stations now - need to tinker to see if it is the front or rear camera that is causing the issue.... (if it is the rear one i wonder if tracking the usb cable along the floor rather than the roof would fix things...)

just spent a couple of hours sorting out my dashcams in my vrs estate

it has however affected my DAB reception :( and i don't get all the stations now - need to tinker to see if it is the front or rear camera that is causing the issue.... (if it is the rear one i wonder if tracking the usb cable along the floor rather than the roof would fix things...)

It could be because the wires are in the roof lining, AFAIK the aerial for the DAB signal is in each rear side window on the estate. Disconnect the rear camera at the socket and see if that helps, if it does then I would leave the existing wire where it is and if you have a spare just lay it on the floor to the rear and then up the rear pillar and test again. That way if you have the same problem you haven't wasted any time laying it properly. If that fails try running the wire right down the middle of he headliner so it goes nowhere near the rear window/pillar to interfere. Other thing to do is to move the camera to the bottom of the rear screen and see if that helps. I know the aerials in the hatch are at the top of the rear screen above the heating wires. I'm not sure that you would get the angle or picture you want from the bottom of the screen but it would give you an idea of signal to the DAB.

Just a couple of thoughts. Also, are the long wires you're using decent quality and well insulated, not eBay items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It will defo be the rear one.  I've seen this issue reported often on various makes/models when a rear cam is fitted.

I don't use dab because I've yet to drive a car where it doesn't keep dropping out, probably where I live is rubbish signal wise, but since I don't use it I wouldn't care :)

The loss of DAB signal is usually down to a poor quality 12-5v power supply, The cheaper ones, usually supplied with the cameras, use crude switching technology to reduce the 12v to 5v and that switching generates a lot of radio frequency waves that swamp the weak DAB signals. If you do a google search on something like USB charger/DAB signal you will find a lot of information on this problem. I had tremendous problems with DAB loss at first, using a number of adaptors, but I saw on one website that a TomTom adaptor did not cause the problem. I happened to have an old TomTom satnav in the cupboard, tried the adaptor and the DAB dropouts disappeared, luckily the plug on the end of the adaptor was the correct mini-USB for my camera. Original TomTom adaptors are available separately although there may be others of a suitable quality.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread but try an rf choke. It's a cheap and simple way to possibly fix the problem.

For example:

F7740632-01.jpg

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7740632/

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-clip-on-hem3012-n89ab

• Like 1

cheers - will give it a go

tinkered a bit - i think it is the usb adapter thing that is the interference issue - unplugging rear camera made no difference - i'll try the rf choke to see if it helps

i wasn't impressed with the transcend footage quality so have swapped the cameras around - transcend pointing rearwards, mobius at the front. i put some black tape around the transcend silver lens housing and across the logo to keep it more discreet. will get some photos up soon.

I can vouch for the Transcend drivepro 220. Great little cam. Lane departure and distance a bit of a gimmick but works I suppose. My octavia has Lane assist etc anyway. Gps position, time and speed on screen display and included mem card a bonus. Excellent picture quality and decent fitting kit all for £99. Can't complain at all. I used to have a 20 quid cam off eBay. I left it in my last car when I sold it. It wasnt good at all. Claimed to be HD. Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Been thinking of a dash-cam for a while and have read through this thread more than once, some very good information here.

I had initially thought of the Mini 0806 or the later 0826 but reliability seems to be a big issue, I am on fairly tight budget so eventually came to the Mobius 1080P Action Camera as a good and probable choice; many good reviews and reports, I can watch footage on my PC, or my Android phone if I need to, small and discrete. I have just printed off  the manual for the Modius so this should help.

I have been looking through Amazon/Ebay for what I think I will need but am hoping you can narrow down my choices -  I am not sure exactly what I need - so I am not wasting money buying the wrong items!

I have I think sorted the screen mount but if you have one that you can recommend so much the better, it seems the suction mounts are too large, too visible and not so stable.

Needs:

Micro to Mini USB OTG lead ? For Samsung phone connection?

Std size Piggy Back fuse lead

Hardwired power supply kit / leads.

Additional Voltage dropper ?

Anything else??

If I need a volt dropper I see there a lot available, any suggestions as to which I will need? Any that may be better quality and plug and play?

It seems that a polarising filter can be a good idea, anyone fitted one to this camera?  

Any suggestions appreciated. I may at a later date fit another to the rear but it seems this can cause problems with the DAB radio if cables run through the car, as the norm is to use the rear wiper as a switched feed to a front camera is it not possible to take the power from the wiring at the wiper motor end directly to the rear camera?

Been thinking of a dash-cam for a while and have read through this thread more than once, some very good information here.

I had initially thought of the Mini 0806 or the later 0826 but reliability seems to be a big issue, I am on fairly tight budget so eventually came to the Mobius 1080P Action Camera as a good and probable choice; many good reviews and reports, I can watch footage on my PC, or my Android phone if I need to, small and discrete. I have just printed off  the manual for the Modius so this should help.

I have been looking through Amazon/Ebay for what I think I will need but am hoping you can narrow down my choices -  I am not sure exactly what I need - so I am not wasting money buying the wrong items!

I have I think sorted the screen mount but if you have one that you can recommend so much the better, it seems the suction mounts are too large, too visible and not so stable.

Needs:

Micro to Mini USB OTG lead ? For Samsung phone connection?

Std size Piggy Back fuse lead

Hardwired power supply kit / leads.

Additional Voltage dropper ?

Anything else??

If I need a volt dropper I see there a lot available, any suggestions as to which I will need? Any that may be better quality and plug and play?

It seems that a polarising filter can be a good idea, anyone fitted one to this camera?  

Any suggestions appreciated. I may at a later date fit another to the rear but it seems this can cause problems with the DAB radio if cables run through the car, as the norm is to use the rear wiper as a switched feed to a front camera is it not possible to take the power from the wiring at the wiper motor end directly to the rear camera?

I've been looking for a few weeks, as you say the 0806 seems to have problems, while problems can be irritating the post purchase support needs to be there.

My shortlist (or should I say wish list :angel: ) at the moment is below along with the Mobius

Transcend 520
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH (and DR600GW-HD) 
dual Mi-Witness HD
NextBase 512G

There are seem to be some good reviews done by this guy at TechMoan

At the moment I am using my iPhone with an App called "OSMAnd DVR" but this is limited by the iPhones non Wide Angle camera and storage (mine is only a 16GB with about 5GB of space for DVR)

The Transcend DP 220 is a good choice as well by looks of it.
Edited by davitc

I have the Transcend DP 220 in the front and DP 200 in the rear. Never had any bother with either. Don't use all the gimmicks on the 220 like Lane assist and collision warning, just good old GPS and recording.

Trusted reviews from chap listed above

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Techmoan has done some excellent reviews, I have sat watching hours of them. Agree with your list but as said ££ is important as I do not do that many miles, about 4k so far in the 1st year so well below the norm. I would prefer to fit and forget (Unless something happens) and the Mobius seems to fit the bill; starts when the car starts and stops when it does. I cannot see swmbo remembering to remove it or even turn it off and to spend £££ would not be  good idea! Looked at the DP's but was put off by the size and amount of chrome bling that may attract some low life scum with a rock.

I will have another look at the DP range.

However it was not the dashcam I was asking about but the bits and bobs I need to make it work and recommendations from those that have already done it.

My DP has been wired into a switch live fuse using a piggy back holder and female 12v socket. The camera came with a lead long enough to go all the way from the fuse box to the cameras (behind trim) so I didn't need any convertors or anything else.

I used the provided sticky bracket although you can get smaller.

Not sure if this answers your original question but that's my setup and kit.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

i have a mobius and DP200

for the mobius I have a suction mount similar to this - http://goo.gl/fJTyjE (only ever has fallen off a couple of times in 2 years)

a 32Gb micro sd card

a MINI usb cable (i have an older mobius 801 and this is the bigger sized connector than the slimmer micro usb ports phones use)

a standard piggyback fuse holder and some spare fuses

a butchered cigarette socket adapter that has usb ports on it (live wire crimped into the piggyback thing, earth lead attached to metal frame of car (means i have additional sockets for charging/connecting a second camera)

not sure why you want a otg cable for the phone - if i need to save/view footage i bring the camera inside and connect it to my PC.

my tip with this is that my mobius transfers data more reliably if i keep the microsd card in and connect whole camera to pc rather than leaving camera in situ, removing card and using a microsd>usb adapter to transfer the data

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The reason I was thinking of an OTG phone lead was so that I could view footage while away, maybe on holiday so not have my PC handy. Should something happen I would want to see it ASAP.

I will order a suction mount and a stuck on mount to see which I like most, they are only 99p on eBay so not a massive outlay!!

It is a Samsung I have, somewhere in all the blurb I have read it says playback is best via the Mobius camera, also I have additional video/photo apps on the micro SD card which may be useful. last time I removed the card the phone did not like it very much.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread but try an rf choke. It's a cheap and simple way to possibly fix the problem.

For example:

F7740632-01.jpg

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7740632/

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-clip-on-hem3012-n89ab

these seem to have helped significantly with good enough dab signal most of the time. i used 3 - one on the lead from the fusebox, and one on each of the 2 leads supplying power to the cameras

thanks for the info!!

• Like 1

For those with BlackVue, with the Black Magic device fitted, how has the power drain?

Reason asked my Octavia has had it's bonnet vandalised this morning, and as yet again the CCTV is down, nothing has been caught. So I've thinking of added the camera to run whilst parked as this would have been caught on camera.

But I don't want to end up having starting and battery issues. Any input or experience would be helpful.

Why blackvue? Because I've already got this camera.