Rusty Sills: Help me dispel the bull...

Mine had rust from obvious stone ships but the bubbling didn't have any damage that I could identify.

@Stu08

Peugeot... a superior vehicle, if not the drive of your life! :-)

I'd say galvanised bodywork and oil based paint stood old Pugs in good stead.

'Old' is the key word.

SWMBO's 2003 Fabia has no mudguards and no signs of rust on the sills or anywhere.

Over 120k miles on the clock, so the car has been around a bit.

Picked mine up yesterday and the guy said that there was loads of little holes that didnt show much but when he started sanding away it all just flaked off.  He said another one coming in as well to get theres done.

Ive now got the stone chip almost up to the top of the sill now so dont have to worry about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm really not impressed!

Was cleaning the car prior to a holiday and noticed two 'blisters' or bubbles on the estate boot tucked up in the corner to the top left of the number plate.

Closer inspection shows that there are bits of paint damage all the way along the fold above the number plate along behind the two lights.

Skoda can't tell me that these are down to stone chips?

Think I'm going to go over the whole car with a close eye and list all the faults with the paint work to try to establish a case that the vehicle is of poor quality from the factory.

Worth a shot.

What gets me is that the two chips on the bonnet that have started to rust are confined to just the exposed area; i.e. a pinprick. No sign of blistering, flaking or any other issues.

Good Evening KB et al,

Update on my situation - I have had my tailgate replaced/repainted FOC by Skoda. However, they would not entertain any repairs to my rusting lines due to the rear door rubbers. To be fair one side had been painted by previous owner by Skoda dealership. Still wondering what to do with these given this was a car I didn't want to spend too much time/effort/money on.  I was even thinking hammerite smooth direct to rust paint just to protect/seal to slow things down. Any thoughts on this approach? would it work on top of car paint, given that you wouldn't see it from the outside with the doors shut anyway? Also like others, I have some rust on front sills as well which again Skoda would not entertain due to stonechips....

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday that after having to drive through a deep puddle, when I opened the passenger side door a small lake of water seemed to drop out from between the door and sill.  I've driven through much deeper puddles in previous cars (focus&vectra) and have never seen water get in and just stay there like that.

Now I'm really not impressed!

Was cleaning the car prior to a holiday and noticed two 'blisters' or bubbles on the estate boot tucked up in the corner to the top left of the number plate.

Closer inspection shows that there are bits of paint damage all the way along the fold above the number plate along behind the two lights.

Rust in that area is common on the MkII. It affects the estate and the hatch.

It's often right on the crease of the indent that houses the number plate lights in each corner.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/240896-rust-on-tailgate/?hl=%2Brust+%2Bboot#entry2829950

Car is in the body shop having the sills repaired and stone chip protection applied to the top of the sill. Will post photo's when I get the car back.

Going back over the thread, it seems that you didn't have any issues with stone chips or rust. So what are you getting repaired? Or is it just preventative?

Before and after photos would be awesome if you could. As would be an actual price paid (I know you said about £400).

Scrap this! :(

Just spotted a load of small blisters appearing in patches on both of my sills above the stone chip protector! It looked clean on the 1st May when I posted this?! How fast does this stuff spread?!

This bit mate. I posted it shortly after my original post. It seems to have spread pretty quick in just over a month. Loads of small blisters became noticeable; thought it is best to sort before winter kicks in and turns the blisters in to holes.

The actual price quoted with VAT is £480. This is to:

- Rub down both sills and ensure all traces of rust are removed.

- Reapply stone chip protection to the top of both sills; repaint in original red.

Sorry. Missed that post.

Mine went bad really quickly after the first sign of a chip: 3 months and on both sides (chip was just on the one side).

Seems to be that once it's started, there's no stopping it.

Sorry. Missed that post.

Mine went bad really quickly after the first sign of a chip: 3 months and on both sides (chip was just on the one side).

Seems to be that once it's started, there's no stopping it.

I took mine right back to bare metal at the worst area, two coats of zinc primer, two coats of colour, coat of lacquer.  Made no difference it started again within a month in the same area.

Professional treatment and repainting would probably have better results but I had concerns that it wouldn't last either.

Getting mine sorted tomorrow under warranty, both sills and boot lid, all I have to cover is the cost of the spoiler removal, repair, paint and re-attach as it is not covered under the warranty, so all in for £170...result!

I've asked for the stone chip strip to be replaced higher to the top of the sill as is on the facelift, hopefully they will touch up one or two other marks from the door rubbers rubbing on the sill step.

Edited by billywhiz040480

• 1 year later...

i noticed my octy vrs had rust spots on the sills above the stone chip so i got a price to sort it from a local body shop ,but i thought why not contact skoda uk to try and get it covered under warranty (2007 car) skoda uk told me to take it to a dealer and have a estimate carried out any way about a month later with regular calls backs from customer services saying we keep chasing up the warranty department for an answer eventually they said the claim was rejected oh well worth a try, pretty **** poor considering 49k and full skoda history but i will be getting it done asap with a local body shop after all 

• 10 months later...