1.4 tsi and other tsi engines now using belts not timing chains

While my engine is replaced after a suspected timing chain tensioner failure I have a brand new 1.4 tsi Golf.

I looked under the bonnet to see if it had a chain or belt for cam and valves etc.

It has a cambelt. Is this on all tsi engines or just the smaller 1.4. Very curious as if they have switched back to belts would suggest they realise the problems with chains.

Anyone with a new tsi engine confirm whether they have a belt or chain please.

..I have recetly been looking to buy a 1.4Tsi, and everybody I have spoken to so far has advised me they have chains?..would be interested in any other feedback...

Edited by Stubod

The 122 1.4 has a belt. The rest have chains

Belts, very unfairly got a bad name, mostly due to human stupidity, incompetence and greed.

If they were change per manufacturers schedule, as was always claimed by the previous owner/vendor, AND they had been correctly fitted and tensioned, with a new plastic tensioner pully.(& some manufacturers dropped the ball there)

And NOT used to drive ancillaries such a alternators and water pumps.Use another belt, please manufacturers.

They were the best engineering solution.

in my (non mechanical Engineer) opinion.

marcus

Belts, very unfairly got a bad name, mostly due to human stupidity, incompetence and greed.

If they were change per manufacturers schedule, as was always claimed by the previous owner/vendor, AND they had been correctly fitted and tensioned, with a new plastic tensioner pully.(& some manufacturers dropped the ball there)

And NOT used to drive ancillaries such a alternators and water pumps.Use another belt, please manufacturers.

They were the best engineering solution.

in my (non mechanical Engineer) opinion.

marcus

Sorry Marcus but you are a bit wide of the mark there.

A belt drive is the best solution for the bean counters. They are much cheaper to design and manufacture than any other drive system. They have inherent weaknesses but these are outweighed from a cost/benefit point of veiw.

The correct way to drive valve train is by gears. But the cost is normally too high for mass production. The bean counters would have a fit!

Chain drive should be the best compromise between cost and fit for purpose, but the bean counters have got there too, resulting in cost engineered chains and tensioners failing way before they should.

I doubt the change to belt drive on the 1.4 act tsi is anything to do with the small amount of failures of the chain tensioner and entirely related to cost of manufacture.

Speaking as a mechanical engineer, the world would be a better place without meddling bean counters poking their nose in. Kit would be more expensive but much nicer, sadly we don't often get our own way :-(

Edited by fairlight5

I still find it unbelievable that Skoda dropped the 1.8 TSi (With Chain!). It is such a lovely engine and if you don't want a vRS, a diesel or a 1.4, it is greatly missed.

It's absence is the one thing stopping me trading in my present car.

• Like 1

I love the 1.8.I don't get the high mpg some talk about, but I wasn't expecting too! Its a gem of an engine, I won't worry about the small amount of tensioner fails either.

Its odd that its available in the A5, the Passat and the Leon but not at all in the Skoda line up

The diagnostics new recon engine and fitting and in Belgium temporarily so it's about 1k more than uk but would have cost that to get it transported there and back :( I was quoted 7 and 5.5 from uk dealers

The latest generation of petrol (EA211) and diesel (EA288) have been designed with the modular MQB concept in mind. They are designed so the engine configuration is identical across the range, same gearbox position, same exhaust route and layout, etc. This means all future models will accept the complete range of engines without any redesign or adaptation of the chassis. They are all cambelt designs with many innovative design features, for instance, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head. They are completely new and do not share anything from the older tsi camchain engines. Eventually as models are replaced e.g. fabia is next, the engines will be replaced by these new designs. Mk3 octavias use these new engines, the mk 2 uses the older camchain engines 

Edited by xman

Sounds interesting. Is that on the engine itself anywhere. Looking at the picture online and at my golf hire car which is brand new I think it is this new style. Makes sense.

I still find it unbelievable that Skoda dropped the 1.8 TSi (With Chain!). It is such a lovely engine and if you don't want a vRS, a diesel or a 1.4, it is greatly missed.

It's absence is the one thing stopping me trading in my present car.

According to the revised 2015 Octavia configurator the 1.8 TSi is going to be available in the new L & K variant.

• Like 1

According to the revised 2015 Octavia configurator the 1.8 TSi is going to be available in the new L & K variant.

...and the 2L diesel is cheaper than the 1.8 petrol!

Yup. Hoping like others that I will get a good will gesture from Skoda Uk as had it since new and just under 4 years old and 38k on clock

I would be quoting "sale of goods act" and "not fit for purpose" at that age/mileage, and be expecting a massive goodwill contribution ...

I have spoken to which magazine hotline so know about it. Hoping not to go that route but yes I would want a considerable offer. Trouble is Belgium parts are about 30 % more than uk. Uk the engine was 4k here it was 5.5k but would cost with hire car 2 k to send back etc. it's the inconvenience that annoys me more.

I wasn't worried either but at 7 grand now I am!!! Just hope you are not an unlucky like I have been.

Sorry, what engine are you referring to?

Ah the little VFR400 from Honda was a little miracle of an engine. Gear driven cams so the engine was incredibly reliable.

Ah the little VFR400 from Honda was a little miracle of an engine. Gear driven cams so the engine was incredibly reliable.

I've got an nc24 vfr400, its a masterpiece of engineering but a b@stard to work on :-)

I also had the earlier vf400fd that was chain drive along with its bigger 500cc brother. Both of those engines on the whole did not suffer the alarming problems the 1000 and 750cc variants did.

Honda went to town on the v four to save face, gear driven cams on the 400 & 750, dropped the 500 & 1000cc engines and ended up with an absolutely brilliant, all be it expensive engine. The bean counters must have been sobbing for years over that one :-)