Military Forces

VRade

Hello all!

As i'm a mechanic at the moment and i really do dislike the way this certain garage operates (quantity not quality), iv been seriously thinking of joining the military as a mechanic, i'm 22 now and am looking for good opportunitys.

Can anyone give me some advice towards this matter, whats it like especially if you are a mech and recommend me some other opportunitys within the army.

Regards

Adrian

I work for the army as a vehicle mechanic/vehicle examiner (i am a civilian on a permanent contract) if you can get into a big unit then you will get lots of experience working on all sorts of vehicles/equipment. Id say go for it,i wish i had when i was leaving school. There are a lot of changes going on at the moment but id think you would be fine. 

Another point i should make is the Army has their own way of doing things & i went in as a civilian mechanic with 10 years garage/dealer experience & i had to learn & adapt to the way the army works,even as a civilian you have to do things the way the army says & there is a lot of rules etc to work to,ive now worked for the army for 16 years & id struggle to work in a normal garage now.I like my job & have seen a lot of changes over the last few years.

Look at REME iirc military fitness and health tests are involved if you're on about a frontline job

The aircraft I fly in is maintained by ex REME aircraft engineers. Top blokes the lot of them and they really know their stuff. Don't forget, the Army Air Corps operate a lot of aircraft which require maintenance.

Visit your local Army careers office and discuss your options. You could find yourself maintaining aircraft which is not only a very worthwhile career in the Army but one that you could transfer over into civvy street when you come to leave

Best wishes

FP

Edited by flying pig

Armed Service can be a wonderful life experience and a very worthwhile career, but be aware there is also a lot of other aspects to take Into account, not least operational deployments that can be hazardous and life changing.

As long as you go in with a full understanding of what you may have to do and where you May go..it can be very rewarding. But please look at the Whole package not just working in a nice little workshop up the road. :-) I would still recommend it though.

My best mate was a REME/army mechanic for 8 years till he was made redunant a few years back. He loved it. He was posted out to germany & canada aswell as been sent to iraq and afghan as a recovery driver. You name the vehicle he drove it or fixed it.

If you dont have children then do it :)

The way of life is very different across the 3 services. I was in the RAF and spent several months on tri-service training courses run by the Army, and for a more "informal" approach to military discipline, I would suggest trying the RAF or Royal Navy first

Im thinking of doing the same as you mate as my apprenticeship is finnished in august and i dont know if il have a job or not

I really wish i had done it years ago as i was all set to join the marines before i got offered my apprenticeship and i couldnt turn the money down but i always wish i had went for it :(

Dont forget the Navy and (spit) RAF.

Fighting talk!   :rofl:

As mentioned earlier, just because you are a vehicle mechanic now do not constrain your choice to just that. If you have a general awareness of all things mechanical/electrical then you may find your talents will allow you to work on more interesting things, such as Typhoon. Last year I was chatting to one of the engineers who looked after the engines on the Mercedes F1 test team; he had previously been an aircraft engineer in the RAF. And remember that the engineering training you will receive, in any of the Armed Forces, will stand you in good stead when you come to leave.

The point made earlier about being aware of the whole package is also important; some places you go to are fabulous, but others are complete dumps!

Im not bitter or anything but if i were to go back in time to when i was in the AFCO joining the RAF i would pick a job as an adminer instead of an aircraft technician. Same higher wage band as an Aircraft tech with zero accountability and let JPA (crappy computer software) do all your work for you!!

But on a serious note rumour going round at the moment that new aircraft technicians will soon be getting part of a civillian license as part of trade training. May be worth thinking about.

Edited by Glynn

Im thinking of doing the same as you mate as my apprenticeship is finnished in august and i dont know if il have a job or not

I really wish i had done it years ago as i was all set to join the marines before i got offered my apprenticeship and i couldnt turn the money down but i always wish i had went for it :(

If you are tempted to go for that now, be warned that the training is damn hard - two of SWMBO's cousins did it and in each class there were about 25-30% left from the original intake!

• Like 1

Stay away from RAF Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic, complete joke of a path that takes way to long to actually gain qualifications.

If you are tempted to go for that now, be warned that the training is damn hard - two of SWMBO's cousins did it and in each class there were about 25-30% left from the original intake!

Dont think iv got the bottle for that now, iv grew up and calmed down to much in the last few years todo it now

Unfortunatly. Although if i do join the REME(which is starting to become a real possibility now that iv started looking into it) id be temted to do either the para or comando training should i get the oppertunity...even if its just too prove to myself that iv got it in me

Contrary to popular belief, the Navy also make up the armed forces, as do... Dare I say, the RAF (maybe to a lesser degree ;) )

Aircraft are the future, don't sell yourself short mate. In my opinion, I wouldn't join unless it involved aircraft maintenance.

It all depends what you want to do:

Army and Navy do much the same, except the obvious differences, which are blatant. But aircraft wise you have:

Army - Wildcat, Apache. Both proper bits of kit

Navy - Lynx, Wildcat, 2 variants of seaking and 2 variants of the Merlin.

As for RAF - they have all these other aircraft, but civilians maintain them as they're usually shacked up in hotels ;)

Army also have 2 'air' branches, as do the Navy, but there's only actually 1 that you want to be in, within both. That is the REME, or AE branch in the Navy. Steer clear of AAC and Handler, mainly because you have a brain and an attention span.

I know which one I would choose, partially because I'm in it.

If you're sold on vehicles then ignore me, if you like aircraft don't be shy to send message.

As for all arms commando tests, easily apply through both services. Can't say I've ever seen a crab with a green beret.

Edited by Bcc212

Commando training is hard so be prepared to have it take you to the very edge of your mental and physical capabilities :) on my PRC (potential recruits course) only 4 out of 38 made the cut!! But that was a cake walk compared to the 9 months of training that followed!!!

As for all arms commando tests, easily apply through both services. Can't say I've ever seen a crab with a green beret.

i know the pongos wont let us crabs do the para course and im assuming the applies to the commando course!

although i know of a couple who have gone for a walk on pen y fan!

Fixed that for you.

Join the army - it's where the real men go.

[propoganda]

RAFRegBugOut_zps14567fc6.png

[/propoganda]

RAF Regt mongs.

fixed that for you ;-)

Hi 

I left the Army just over 9 years ago after serving 23+ years as a Vehicle Mechanic in the REME, including 2+ years recruiting for the Army in a Careers Office. I can't speak for the other forces but they obviously have the same or similar trades.

Seriously think is been in the military what you want no matter if you are doing a trade, you are a soldier first, tradesmen always! It is a lifestyle change and as you are 22 already it might not be what you are use too. 

Obviously a lot has changed in the time since I served, but with Afghan finishing, it'll no doubt change again with maybe less tours to do?

I am proud to have served in the REME, however, it was not all good. Postings tend to be 3 years in length attached to a particular Unit (Tanks, Infantry or Artillery etc.). It can be a long time in one place if you aren't enjoying it, plus you will be committed to 4 or more years shortly after you join. If you are a qualified mechanic, once you have been completed military training you'll do equipment training (tanks, trucks etc) before been sent to a Unit. 

I generally enjoyed the lifestyle and comradery, I didn't mind the physical parts as I enjoyed my sports but be prepared to be mucked about, bored, getting cold and wet, shouted at (if they allow that now!), physically pushed to your limit. If you can do that then the good parts make it worth it. A good set of friends, travel, reasonable accommodation, food, pay and benefits. 

If I haven't put you off, go for it... if you are in Kendal, then I believe that Preston is nearby should have a REME recruiter who you could speak too.