Excessive front tyre wear...

Need to change the fronts on mine as damage to the side wall (tho not punctured is a slice through and can see mental thread). Anyway thinking of trying Goodyear efficientgrip performance. Anyone had them? To be fair the conti tyres that came on the car have done over 10k on the back and zero wear fronts were around 5/6mm remaining

Mmm, no wonder you're having trouble you've got mental wheels! 

• Like 1

The efficient grip are dual compound I think, harder carcass for efficiency but softer tread for grip.

Not the same car or performance so not a direct comparison but my Mondeo used to get about 35k from conti premium contact, changed to Goodyear efficient grip and noise and performance were comparable, mpg 5 to 10% better, tyres not noticeably worn after 9.5k miles as I swapped fronts and rears. Based on that  I intend to try them out on the vrs 

• Like 1

My last car, Octy mk2 L&K tsi had Dunlop SP 2 from new. Got mid 20,000 miles from front. The same model before that had Continental,around 9,000 miles they were very close, then I got rear ended and it wrote it off. So from my experience make does matter.

I pick my VRS TDi up from dealer tomorrow but went to see it in its pre pdi state and noticed its fitted with Bridgestones!

What size are the tyres on the 18" geminis on the VRS?

Lee

Edited by morty

I pick my VRS TDi up from dealer tomorrow but went to see it in its pre pdi state and noticed its fitted with Bridgestones!

What size are the tyres on the 18" geminis on the VRS?

Lee

225/40 18

• Like 1

The efficient grip are dual compound I think, harder carcass for efficiency but softer tread for grip.

Not the same car or performance so not a direct comparison but my Mondeo used to get about 35k from conti premium contact, changed to Goodyear efficient grip and noise and performance were comparable, mpg 5 to 10% better, tyres not noticeably worn after 9.5k miles as I swapped fronts and rears. Based on that  I intend to try them out on the vrs 

You got 5- 10% better MPG just by swapping from Contis to Goodyear Efficient Grip? Not bad.

Ive got the Dunlops myself, so see how these last. No problems yet

You got 5- 10% better MPG just by swapping from Contis to Goodyear Efficient Grip? Not bad.

Ive got the Dunlops myself, so see how these last. No problems yet

I will be very happy if I get an extra 10% mpg wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Mostly motorway driving done late at night/early morning when they are not so busy and the speeds were..... Naughty.  Used to get 400 miles from a tank, started getting 440, not always, but often more then 400.  Even managed 500 on one fill recently .... Which I really couldn't understand as car was also heavily loaded, although I did use super unleaded on that run.

There may have been other stuff going on that affected it, but the tyres will be tried by me on the vRS when the OE fit wear out.

That's ridiculous - I bought Conti SC5's in 225/40R18 92 Y for £85+VAT about 18 months ago.

+1 SC5's are way cheaper than that, do some shopping around, the dealership is just trying to make a killing.

Decuk, I found the SP2's wore faster than SC3's but, I agree better grip does come at the expense of longevity

My Conti 2's down to 3mm on front with cut in sidewall now. Exactly 10,000 on the clock. Rear at 5mm. Looking at Conti 5 tyres. Skoda quoted £152/tyre to replace with Conti 2!!

Going to a main dealer for tyres is madness, they'll just be sub'ing it out to a local tyre fitters and adding a bit on top.

Oponeo, Camskill & My Tyres are all good places to visit for quotes on new tyres & fitting.

Although it's worth getting the quote from them first & then give the local tyre co's a chance to see if they can do a special deal for you.

Another point to add is use a cashback site & look for Clubcard & Nectar points in there too, as they can add to the savings.

• Like 1

Oponeo, Camskill & My Tyres are all good places to visit for quotes on new tyres & fitting.

Although it's worth getting the quote from them first & then give the local tyre co's a chance to see if they can do a special deal for you.

Another point to add is use a cashback site & look for Clubcard & Nectar points in there too, as they can add to the savings.

Tesco seem to be affiliated with BlackCircles now, so if you have loads of clubcard points .......

Tesco seem to be affiliated with BlackCircles now, so if you have loads of clubcard points .......

They also seem pretty competitive on price and are fitted by local garages

They also seem pretty competitive on price and are fitted by local garages

Camskill knock the dung out of them usually, the only difference is you have to forego the clubcard points.

I just ordered a pair of the Goodyear's from my tyres. ~£93 after a topcashback cash back. Choice of deliver to me or fitter, choice of local fitters.... My nearest is also the cheapest at £11 for alloy rims.

Camskill, oponeo were within a pound or 2, black circles a bit more.

I just ordered a pair of the Goodyear's from my tyres. ~£93 after a topcashback cash back. Choice of deliver to me or fitter, choice of local fitters.... My nearest is also the cheapest at £11 for alloy rims.

Camskill, oponeo were within a pound or 2, black circles a bit more.

Which goodyears did you go for?

Mine came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's on Golus 18" rims, same size tyre as standard vRS, done 21k so far and fronts still over 4mm remaining, rears pretty much still like new with over 6mm, so got to say I can recommend them for wear rate, I do however cover most of my mileage on the motorway, so pretty easy going on the tyre wear.

• Like 2