Are chilis addictive

Aspman

I say this as someone that doesn't go out to eat the hottest naga chili sauce at the weekends.

But I've noticed that of late I've progressed from things that are med, to hot, to extra hot and at the weekend I bought a Nando's Extra Extra hot sauce. Popped my finger in and thought mmm could be hotter. This is stuff that would fix SWMBO to the bog for a day and I'm moaning it's mild. Stuff that would ahve blown my head off a few years back is merely warm.

Also now if I eat something too hot, I'm like some stupid lab rat, 10min after the burn has gone I'm back for more. Plus basically nothing savoury tastes right now unless it has heat to it.

Anyone else got an unhealthy craving for chili heat?

• Like 2

Any food or drink that is a stimulant can be addictive.  

Just had some 'Frank's Red Hot Original' to help my Arthritis Pain.   (£1 a Bottle just now in Tescos)

Now away to have some more because of your post.

Any food that is tasty can be addictive, just ask any bloater.

• Like 1

Mouth is watering at the thought of eating things that are likely to cause pain. Stupid brain.

• Like 2

Serious and helpful answer - Yes, and it doesn't help that your tolerance builds up as you eat hotter and hotter stuff.

This - we're kind of out of options having done our first jollies years ago. We're onto hybrid crazy infinities and other mill plus Scoville offerings.

Must be an age thing I never used to like the really hot stuff. Now I eat it, swear about what I'm eating, 20min later I've a craving for it again.

I do like spicy food, though I've found I'm intolerant to repeated hot spicy food especially if it's accompanied by wheat beer. Guts go doollally on me making me feel bloated and irritable.

If you like hot sauce visit www.theribman.co.uk. He's a legend for his ribs and pulled pork, but his sauces are catching up. All made by hand. The holy f##k one is hot but that's the mild one...

• Like 1

I got addicted to the chilli hit: caution!

As a student, I used to go for curry a lot and explored the menu, getting hotter and hotter dishes each time to a point where anyone who tried mine was totalled for the night instantly.

It wasn't a bravado thing, but I liked the hit and if eating a particularly lethal phaal, the feeling of being intoxicated afterwards.  It felt like the top of your head raised by about a foot and the brain had chance to relax and move about whilst being refreshed with the feeling of having a strong mint in your brain.  Amazing.

Bizarrely, with a mango Lassi (sweet yogurt drink with fruit) later, my insides were unaffected and I had no after effects apart from smelling of curry.

This culminated in my friends setting me up when I was not with them one night in our regular restaurant-next time I went in, I ordered the phaal and the food was brought to the table as normal, mine bright orange with a pool of fluorescent orange oil on the top.  I got started and it was hot, but tasty and the naan was amazing so, got stuck in.

I noticed all the staff watching me as I ate the dish and after a few minutes, they bought out another bowl with my real order-the one I had was a joke curry made to kill me, but I'd eaten it all.  I had a terrific chilli high and all the staff shaking their heads in disbelief as none of them would eat a phaal, let alone what they'd made me to set me up!

However, this desire for hot chilli has been broken of late as even red peppers give me heartburn, let alone chillis-strangely both my sister and I are now "allergic" to peppers/chillis as they have started to have really bad effects, to the extent that I will throw up neat stomach acid out of my nose in my sleep and then breathe it back in which causes my nose and throat to swell scarily leaving me fighting for breath-very worrying when you are woken up with your face and nose burning off and you can't breathe!

I wonder if the body will stand a finite amount of chilli and both I and my sister (used chilli in everything, pickled them, did chilli sauces and chutneys etc) have surpassed the limit and now the body is fighting back?

I miss the hallucinogenic chilli high after a mega-phaal, but can't risk the after effects any more  :no:

Yes, it's addictive!

Edited by mender

Been growing Chillis for a few years, including some I would not ever contemplate eating (Naga's)

I find growing them the most addictive part.

I find It frustrating because mine generally get aphids on and they destroy the plants so I can't keep them outside have to keep them inside and they

don't yield as much fruit. Ive watched the bloody ants carry the aphids on to the plant and they cultivate them and move them around from one to another.

I find It frustrating because mine generally get aphids on and they destroy the plants so I can't keep them outside have to keep them inside and they

don't yield as much fruit. Ive watched the bloody ants carry the aphids on to the plant and they cultivate them and move them around from one to another.

My magazine, Gardeners' World, has a Pest Watch feature on aphids next month - August issue on sale 24 July (shameless plug :))

I have had this problem. Now I use Bayer Provado ultimate bug killer concentrate which works very well, kills the aphids and does not harm the plant. It's contact and systemic acting so the insecticide enters the plant and kills any aphids that then go on the plant.

Harmless to Humans too!

However, this desire for hot chilli has been broken of late as even red peppers give me heartburn,

I was regularly plagued with heartburn until recently. Nothing do do with curries particularly just any processed foods (especially Tesco for some reason).

My saviour...sauerkraut :angel:

Apparently sauerkraut has loads more probiotic bacteria than the probiotic yoghurts plus a bunch of other stuff that are good for your guts.

I have a good forkful or two of the stuff everyday and I've never had heartburn since.

If I ever feel a twinge out comes the jar and I can actually feel it soothing me. Really weird since it has acid in it.

I quite like the stuff anyway and it's dirt cheap. I'd recommend you try it for a week or two. It has to be uncooked unpasteurised stuff. I've never seen any label that says pasteurised or otherwise but I just buy the stuff from the polish section of the supermarket.

I was regularly plagued with heartburn until recently. Nothing do do with curries particularly just any processed foods (especially Tesco for some reason).

My saviour...sauerkraut :angel:

Apparently sauerkraut has loads more probiotic bacteria than the probiotic yoghurts plus a bunch of other stuff that are good for your guts.

I have a good forkful or two of the stuff everyday and I've never had heartburn since.

If I ever feel a twinge out comes the jar and I can actually feel it soothing me. Really weird since it has acid in it.

I quite like the stuff anyway and it's dirt cheap. I'd recommend you try it for a week or two. It has to be uncooked unpasteurised stuff. I've never seen any label that says pasteurised or otherwise but I just buy the stuff from the polish section of the supermarket.

My wife is Polish and it is one of our regular items  :sun:

My wife is Polish and it is one of our regular items  :sun:

Oh well, if it was going to work for you it would have already. Nae luck.

Oh well, if it was going to work for you it would have already. Nae luck.

Thanks anyway-perhaps I could up the intake!