Disabling the headlight washers

Hi all,

Just a curiosity really, but is it possible to disable the headlight washers when the windscreen is washed? I have had a quick look through the downloaded manual I have but can't find a fuse related to the headlight washers, so is it a VCDS thing?

Quick note for you. The head light washers only work when head lights on. Unlike the mk2's.

So why switch it of ?

Colin.

That's how they work on the mkI and mkII as well?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You can adapt the setting via vcds so  you can have them wash the headlights after 2 or 3 washes of the screen rather than on the first wash of the screen in the vcds tweeks theirs instructions on how to do it

You can adapt the setting via vcds so  you can have them wash the headlights after 2 or 3 washes of the screen rather than on the first wash of the screen in the vcds tweeks theirs instructions on how to do it

Ahh, I did have a look through those, but I must have missed it! Thanks.

I have been wondering the same time. Is there a fuse you can pull? Worked on the Mk2 Octavia.

I am only trying to reduce the number of times they are used really, not too fussed if I have to disable them completely, I have managed up to now without them! I have had no luck finding a fuse related to them (yet).

Suggest you go to dealer as both mk2 and mk3 should only work with headlights on. And I believe every 5 windscreen washes. I should know, had 2 mk2's and now a mk3

Ahh, that may explain it. I generally leave the lights on 'Auto' so I assume that means 'on'. I washed the windscreen twice this morning with no obvious washing of the headlights on either.

I might have a play on the way home :)

I also assume then, that if I put the headlights into the 'off' position, the headlight washers won't activate?

I also assume then, that if I put the headlights into the 'off' position, the headlight washers won't activate?

Correct, will not operate at all.

Yep.I also leave in auto. Notice with mk3 it seems to spray twice on one operation as against mk2.

Find them useful when you can't see the front of the car behind in your mirror. Keep window washing till they come on. It makes them pull back a bit when they can't see where they are going.......

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone have tried this via VCDS?

To extend the interval cycles that the headlight washers will activate to a) prevent the front of your clean car being sprayed, and B) to reduce the amount of screen wash usage.

1. Go to [09] Central Electronics
2. STG access permissions -> Function 16
3. Enter access code 31347
4. Go to adaptation channels (Function 10)
5. Select channel 1 - Select "Number of operations front windsceen wiper washer per SRA activation" (in German - Frontscheibenwischer Anzahl Betätigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung auswählen)
6. Adjust value to preference (no of times you can operate the windscreen washer stalk before the headlight washer activate).
7. Select channel 3, and adjust the activate time for folding the switch to enable headlight washers in the first place.

I'm interest in this last point, that i could control myself when headlight washers activate. Which values and which channel should i change to activate headlight washers by folding the switch lets say 2s or so. 

Also, i would like to cancel that headlight washers comes on automatically every first time i use windshield washers, if it possible to change this also to 2s switch folding time. Thank you.

Anyone have tried this via VCDS?

To extend the interval cycles that the headlight washers will activate to a) prevent the front of your clean car being sprayed, and B) to reduce the amount of screen wash usage.

1. Go to [09] Central Electronics

2. STG access permissions -> Function 16

3. Enter access code 31347

4. Go to adaptation channels (Function 10)

5. Select channel 1 - Select "Number of operations front windsceen wiper washer per SRA activation" (in German - Frontscheibenwischer Anzahl Betätigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung auswählen)

6. Adjust value to preference (no of times you can operate the windscreen washer stalk before the headlight washer activate).

7. Select channel 3, and adjust the activate time for folding the switch to enable headlight washers in the first place.

I'm interest in this last point, that i could control myself when headlight washers activate. Which values and which channel should i change to activate headlight washers by folding the switch lets say 2s or so. 

Also, i would like to cancel that headlight washers comes on automatically every first time i use windshield washers, if it possible to change this also to 2s switch folding time. Thank you.

The channels you need to look at are:

(1)-Windshield wiper-Anzahl Betaetigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung - 10
(2)-Windshield wiper-SRA Verzoegerungszeit - 0 ms
(3)-Windshield wiper-SRA Waschzeit - 600 ms
(4)-Windshield wiper-SRA Einweichpausenzeit - 2000 ms
(5)-Windshield wiper-SRA Nachwaschzeit - 1100 ms
(6)-Windshield wiper-SRA Pausenzeit - 0 ms
(7)-Windshield wiper-SRA bei Waschwassermangel - not active 

So try changing (2) to 2000ms and then you need to activate the screen wash for 2 seconds before the headlight washers will kick in.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree the functionality of the headlight wash is stupid. Beyond comprehension how they came up with the 1st then 5th or whatever it is.

The best headlight wash system I have had on any car was a Subaru. Simple, and full control. Press the scoosh button for less than a second, and just the windscreen is washed. Press for more than a second then both the windscreen and headlights wash (if they're on). As I say simple, and you have full control. When you compare that to Skoda's 'system', it makes it laughable that they actually decided that 'yes, this is the best way to do this'  :wall:

Edited by 73henny

Agree the functionality of the headlight wash is stupid. Beyond comprehension how they came up with the 1st then 5th or whatever it is.

The best headlight wash system I have had on any car was a Subaru. Simple, and full control. Press the scoosh button for less than a second, and just the windscreen is washed. Press for more than a second then both the windscreen and headlights wash (if they're on). As I say simple, and you have full control. When you compare that to Skoda's 'system', it makes it laughable that they actually decided that 'yes, this is the best way to do this'  :wall:

I work as one of those people who make the decisions about the function and logic of vehicle UIs. Just to put your mind at rest and save you having to head-butt that wall, I would like to point out that typically people do not like buttons/controls that have different functionality, depending whether the operator used a short or long press. This same conclusion is repeated in every piece of VoC research I've seen on the subject. This doesn't mean your own opinion is wrong but it does mean you are in a statistical minority :)

• Like 1

The channels you need to look at are:

(1)-Windshield wiper-Anzahl Betaetigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung - 10
(2)-Windshield wiper-SRA Verzoegerungszeit - 0 ms
(3)-Windshield wiper-SRA Waschzeit - 600 ms
(4)-Windshield wiper-SRA Einweichpausenzeit - 2000 ms
(5)-Windshield wiper-SRA Nachwaschzeit - 1100 ms
(6)-Windshield wiper-SRA Pausenzeit - 0 ms
(7)-Windshield wiper-SRA bei Waschwassermangel - not active 

So try changing (2) to 2000ms and then you need to activate the screen wash for 2 seconds before the headlight washers will kick in.

It works like described, channel 2 to 2000ms,  thank you.

• Like 1

I work as one of those people who make the decisions about the function and logic of vehicle UIs. Just to put your mind at rest and save you having to head-butt that wall, I would like to point out that typically people do not like buttons/controls that have different functionality, depending whether the operator used a short or long press. This same conclusion is repeated in every piece of VoC research I've seen on the subject. This doesn't mean your own opinion is wrong but it does mean you are in a statistical minority :)

I may be in the statistical minority, but as with any survey it depends on what was asked to what audience. Is it really any surprise that people wanted simple controls? Was there really any need to 'research' that?. Some people will do anything other than RTFM. The very fact this thread exists, and the fact that through VCDS it can be modified to work after a 2 second press of the button (strangely similar to Subaru's system) shows that the 'solution' is flawed. How then did Subaru come up with the better system?, by not using 'statistics'?, or perhaps figuring out whats best themselves?

Another example of this, is the equally stupid traffic announcement message that appears in the Columbus screen. It takes up the entire width of the screen and is positioned right in the middle. So, if you are using the navigation and happen upon a junction when a traffic announcement comes on - tough, either miss the junction or the announcement. There is absolutely no need for the message to be that size or be positioned right in the middle. But somehow they've decided thats what is best. By what measure, statistics?

Similarly, they've correctly decided that when reversing, you should be able to reduce the volume of the radio so you can hear the beeps. But want to hear the sat nav instructions whilst the radio is on? no, sorry, you can't reduce the radio volume for that. How did they come to that decision? Was it by following the same decision tree as they used for the headlight wash? 

As part of my role, I have to develop operator interfaces and functionality. Almost always it better to lead this type of thing and give them what is required by way of experience and common sense.

Just turn the headlight switch to the off position prior to washing your screen and if its nighttime well, you'll just have to take one for team Skoda won't you, its not like screenwash fluid is expensive.

Its still a stupid system. The very fact you are suggesting turning off the lights shows that. You can read numerous posts from people mentioning that the headlights come on frequently when its daylight. So in the winter months with a low sun, salt on the windscreen means frequent washes are required. But as the headlights are on then means the car washes the headlights when the bloody sun is out! Therefore travelling long distances as I often do results in no screen wash being left when you actually need it - when its dark. Similarly, short trips mean every first bloody wash washes the headlights again.

The cost has nothing to do with it. Its simple common sense and having control over the situation. Seems they've decided 'Skoda owners aren't clever enough to decide for themselves when the headlights need washed so we'll set it to do it automatically whether they like it or not'

• Like 3

I may be in the statistical minority, but as with any survey it depends on what was asked to what audience. Is it really any surprise that people wanted simple controls? Was there really any need to 'research' that?. Some people will do anything other than RTFM. The very fact this thread exists, and the fact that through VCDS it can be modified to work after a 2 second press of the button (strangely similar to Subaru's system) shows that the 'solution' is flawed. How then did Subaru come up with the better system?, by not using 'statistics'?, or perhaps figuring out whats best themselves?

Another example of this, is the equally stupid traffic announcement message that appears in the Columbus screen. It takes up the entire width of the screen and is positioned right in the middle. So, if you are using the navigation and happen upon a junction when a traffic announcement comes on - tough, either miss the junction or the announcement. There is absolutely no need for the message to be that size or be positioned right in the middle. But somehow they've decided thats what is best. By what measure, statistics?

Similarly, they've correctly decided that when reversing, you should be able to reduce the volume of the radio so you can hear the beeps. But want to hear the sat nav instructions whilst the radio is on? no, sorry, you can't reduce the radio volume for that. How did they come to that decision? Was it by following the same decision tree as they used for the headlight wash?

As part of my role, I have to develop operator interfaces and functionality. Almost always it better to lead this type of thing and give them what is required by way of experience and common sense.

Its still a stupid system. The very fact you are suggesting turning off the lights shows that. You can read numerous posts from people mentioning that the headlights come on frequently when its daylight. So in the winter months with a low sun, salt on the windscreen means frequent washes are required. But as the headlights are on then means the car washes the headlights when the bloody sun is out! Therefore travelling long distances as I often do results in no screen wash being left when you actually need it - when its dark. Similarly, short trips mean every first bloody wash washes the headlights again.

The cost has nothing to do with it. Its simple common sense and having control over the situation. Seems they've decided 'Skoda owners aren't clever enough to decide for themselves when the headlights need washed so we'll set it to do it automatically whether they like it or not'

See as they're there to fulfil a legal requirement letting the user chose when to use them kind misses the point. And it not Skoda owners that can't be trusted, the whole human race is pretty stupid so I think having them operate automatically is probably the best solution.

• Like 4