How do you re-code a door control unit (DCU)?

Hi everyone,

My passenger-side rear window has recently stopped working, along with the door lock not operating either and leaving the door insecure even when the rest of the car locks fine.  Had the car MOT'd today and the mechanic said it was the window actuator.  I've already checked the connectors (like new) and cables (like new) for water corrosion and breaks, but they're fine.  So the problem is clearly the door control unit - which the mechanic quoted as being £220 to do.  Ouch.

So I've ordered one from eBay for £18.75, p&p inc.  Bonus!  The only question I have is this:  the replacement DCU is from a VW Touran, but the part code matches exactly so I'm not envisaging any compatibility issues.  The only thing I have concerns over is the matter of re-coding the DCU.  Apparently this has to be done otherwise it won't work?  There has been some mention of it in other forum posts about similar problems with DCUs, but I can't find out how to actually get it re-coded or do it myself.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks!

is the touran the same year?

There are 2 types of door controller

GEN1 & GEN2 (2004 - mid 2006)

GEN3 onwards

the wiring is different between them

You will need vag com to code them, there will be a pop up box when you try and code them which would show you the options

You would then add up the options you have.

Another way is to look at the other side and use the same coding as that one