Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

It's pretty sexy to be fair isn't it! Would it turn you on even more if i shouted 'HEEEYY YOOOUUUU GUUUUYYYS' in your direction!?! :D

Thanks mate. Will be a while before I have an indication whether it's worked or not yet.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

I'll definitely be back on it as soon as I can. Currently looking like I've gone 12 rounds with Tyson! Proper doing my head in, as I have to lie on my left side 24/7 for a whole week... soooo bored! Plus have a load of gas in my eye so can't see out of it yet...

Currently thinking of my next plans for a new custom FMIC single pass setup that sits at the front of the bumper. That way there should be space to mount my oil cooler at the top behind the front grille and also will have the cooler part of the BKD head conversion already in place :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally managed to get down to my unit to do some light work on the car today. Really pleased to have actually got something done at last! Spent 3 hours down there, and just took my time with a few small jobs.

First up, I wanted to re-do my oil return line. I was never completely happy with the original return that I made up due to chopping the top part just a little shorter than I'd like. So I figured now was a good time to get it done properly. I managed to get hold of a second hand oil return line. First up I popped it in the vice and pulled the top section off with some mole grips. I then measured up and cut the original top section down...

36292109514_bb9af49e05_z.jpg

I filed the end smooth and de-burred it. I took the rest of the original line apart. For those that need to do this oil return for a 2260 on cast manifold, here's how both ends need cutting down...

36292108534_9c80dfb107_z.jpg

I popped a new gasket on the top section and fitted the top section properly and the bottom part loosely...

36292107014_2112fea1a3_z.jpg

Rubber pipe put in place. It's kink free thanks to chopping down the ends and taking the bend out. I also re-fitted the turbo support bracket that I'd made previously...

36292106274_8e0fcf29e9_z.jpg

Next up the oil feed line was cleaned up. New copper washers were used at both ends. The end at the oil housing was left loose for now just incase...

36292105614_2c5ea8b63f_z.jpg

36292104704_ac368d3b09_z.jpg

I cable tied the oil feed line nicely to keep things nice and tidy...

36292103364_537d13c784_z.jpg

Next I put my blanking screw and below that my EGT gauge adaptor into their respective holes. Both in with medium thread lock - probably overkill as it was a taper thread anyway. Quite handy to have the spare should I need it...

36292104104_a9ef7bb301_z.jpg

Since I put my 2260 on, I had to buy a blue reducer for the TIP due to needing it and that's all they had in stock. So I've bought a replacement in red. I put the original Jubilee clip on as a guide to trim the hose down on both ends with a blade...

36292102354_21b55ed7da_z.jpg

Hose on...

36292100954_5995ab1f52_z.jpg

Last job was the clean the inlet manifold out properly after it being powdercoated. I'd previously let it soak with oven cleaner, but due to what happened with my eye I had to leave it. So I washed it through with a hose when I got down the unit, then blocked it off again and put more oven cleaner in. Left for a couple of hours and then spent about 15 minutes rinsing it out with a hose to get all the crap out. Looks much cleaner inside now. Will check it out for cleanliness tomorrow once it's dry...

37128214025_0776ac33fa_z.jpg

That's it for the night. Nice to get a few things done. Will have an easy day on it tomorrow as well, but hope to get some more important jobs done :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 4

Couple of hours spent down the unit yesterday evening. Few more little jobs done.

Cleaned up all the old bolts then re-fitted the painted air con pump and alternator. Along with cleaning up the tensioner and re-fitting with a new aux belt...

36314953863_329457cf9a_z.jpg

I fitted my new adaptor from Darkside from the oil cooler group buy...

36292099044_7a20fa0e57_z.jpg

Oiled the seals slightly, then fitted the oil cooler thermostatic plate and standard cooler...

37128210215_9c16e44915_z.jpg

Also fitted both sections of the driver's side engine mount. Cleaned all the bolts up and thread locked to help avoid corrosion.

This weekend I plan on getting a fair old bit done. Just taking my time with things at the minute bearing in mind I don't want to take any risks with my eye.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

My dealer supplied the bolts when I replaced my anti roll bar bushes. That was about 6 months ago I think.

Great update. Wishbones look so much better :)

Came up as no longer available on the Skoda parts system now :(

As Kev said John, apparently not available any more. Must've just missed the cut off. Or the dealer was looking at the wrong part - which I wouldn't be surprised with that place...

There's a benefit to the standard bolt too, as they have the tapered guide on the end. So they're easier to fit. I nearly ruined the thread on the ones I fitted tonight because the space was tight.

Glad to see your back to it Alex. How long till it runs again?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Not too sure on time periods yet. Will see how it goes tomorrow and then it's how much I can get down there to work on it.

Probably a couple more weeks I reckon. Then I have to get it MOT'd and the alignment done too. Should get air conditioning re-filled too - always handy for de-humidifying in the winter. MOT shouldn't be a problem.... it's virtually a new car ha ha!

Only got to spend 1 1/2 hours down the unit tonight, but done a couple of jobs.

First off, bolted down the remaining 2 injectors. Then cleaned up the rockers and all the bolts...

36314933583_813ae34c50_z.jpg

I then went about setting the lash for the injectors. I thought this job was going to be a pain, i.e. to figure out when the rocker was at its highest point. Hence I brought a DTI with me...

36957199452_f088a9da08_z.jpg

Surprisingly, you don't actually need a DTI to do this job at all! As the individual rockers actually stay at their highest point for quite a few degrees of engine rotation. So tightened the adjustment screw up and then backed off 225 degrees as per the Haynes manual. They were actually all spot on anyway it seemed. Sounds about right, as I didn't have any noticeable tappet wear on inspection.

Finally I covered my rocker cover in degreaser, agitated it and blasted it with the pressure washer!...

37128180025_602d9179f6_z.jpg

I'm also still digging powder out of my coated inlet manifold. Gonna have to buy yet more over cleaner. Really not impressed that they didn't cover the holes up, even though they were categorically asked to  :swear:  :devil:

Further progress is unlikely until the weekend due to work and university work being due in. Weekend can't come soon enough!!

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

How far the internal pludger travels when it's at TDC

Incorrectly set you can lead to poorer spray pattern, and lower tip pressure, which can cause burned piston bowls

Lots of other factors like durations and timing can affect this also

You can always check the injector timings in group 13 the closer together the figures is ideal, setting the pludgers affects these figures