Knocking noise in new house

banzaiman

I've recently purchased my first house with my wife and we are expecting our 1st child in september. A couple of days ago me and my wife were sat in bed and we could hear what sounded like an england tune being played on the wall. its difficult to explain but its the da da da da-da da da da-da "England" tune being played. I know that sounds crazy but thats what it is Its a semi detached house and the woman next door is in her 70's,I doubt very much that its her but im going to pop round tonight and ask her if she has heard this asewl. We hear this noise everynight and it last about 2 hours. I never noticed it until my wife pointed it out a couple nights ago and she says its done it ever since we moved in 2 weeks ago. Any ideas what it could be? I could understand if it was just expanding pipes but, they dont play a tune, they just tap

Thanks

Maybe you have a Casper. Is it at a certain time? My old mans house use to do that and it was the pipe lines knocking each other when the boiler kicked in.

It seems to start around 9:00 and goes on until midnight. Its always the same tune, sometimes its slow and sometimes its normal. Its sooo annoying and its starting to creep me out abit. Ive got a recording of it, i'll see if i can upload it. I dont think its an alarm clock, its definatley knocking

Houses can have odd acoustics. When I moved into mine, at first I had a fright one night as the neighbours were coming up their stairs (on the outer facing walls) and it sounded exactly as if someone was walking up my stairs.

But given your situation, all I can offer is:

cP9fLSO.jpg

One evening, just before 9 0'clock, turn off the water supply at the mains tap which is usually located under the kitchen sink.  If this stops the knocking, the problem might be water hammer.  Water hammer can be caused by a number of things including low water pressure (mains tap not fully open?) or the movement of an unrestrained length of mains water pipe - usually under the floorboards or in the loft..

I would go with the pipes.

Try turning off the radiators...even if the heating is not on. We had a tapping sound in the front room for a while and turning off the bedroom rad fixed it.

• Like 1

Whilst the sound is audible walk round to try and determine the source. The trouble with pipes is that sound can travel a long way, and appear to be coming from somewhere totally different to the source. Perhaps poke your head into the loft and have a listen as well.

it could well be an alarm clock hidden as a laugh under the floorboards.

• Like 2

I would go with the pipes.

Try turning off the radiators...even if the heating is not on. We had a tapping sound in the front room for a while and turning off the bedroom rad fixed it.

Pipe knocking is a common problem caused by incorrectly clipped pipes. It could even be a faulty ball valve on a toilet or header tank (depending on the type of system)

• Like 1

might also be the rads needing to be bled if the house was unoccupied for a while...

Sound can travel from one end of a house to the other through the pipe work.

and yeah, a loose clipped, or over clipped pipe can do some serious rattling when the water starts flowing!

might also be the rads needing to be bled if the house was unoccupied for a while...

Sound can travel from one end of a house to the other through the pipe work.

and yeah, a loose clipped, or over clipped pipe can do some serious rattling when the water starts flowing!

Depends on the type of system.

If a radiator has air in it and requires bleeding it wouldnt make a noise, it would just prevent the top of the radiator from getting hot when the systems on.

Air in a system can make a noise, but its not usually a knocking sound and should eventually find its way to the top of a radiator or out through the open vent.

Non of the above knows the rhythm of a football song. In my experience haha.

Oh also. If a directional thermostatic radiator valve is put on the wrong side of a radiator it could make a hammering noise.

These things would only be apparent when the heating is on though

Just Switch it off and see what happens tonight :).

I have just listened to the file.

There is clearly nothing.........wait........wait........I hear something.

It.....It.....It's coming from the radio in the kitchen.....it's a rythmic tapping......it's the same sound!

I will just unplug it..........it's still there!.......da da da da, da da da da.

No!.....Someone's graffitied the wall with "Bad Wolf" in massive letters.....how come I didn't see that before?

It's time to get outa here......Wha?....Aaaaaagggghhhhhh.........Glurrrrrrgggghhhh................

Alternatively call a plumber.

• Like 2