Knocking noise in new house

banzaiman

If you have a header tank in the loft (for the radiator water), check if it's dry.  I once had a house with knocking, turned out there was leak in the CH/radiator circuit, which led to the pump cavitating, producing the knock.  It was like a loud thump / bang every now and again.  Freaked me out at first too.

Bit of an update. Went round to my 70 year old neighbours house last night to ask her if she had heard anything. She can oten hear a tapping sound but i dont think its the same sound we are hearing. She claims the previous owner used to hear a knocking noise coming from the attic and thought it might be something to do with the chimney stack. I never heard the noise last night and i didnt do anything to the radiators etc. Maybe it was her but it seems prety unlikely, shes a really friendly old woman.

but it seems prety unlikely, shes a really friendly old woman.

Thats what she wants you to think.

Maybe shes a highly experienced professional neighbour scarer.

Next step. Take her out for tea whilst somebody stays at your house.

If they dont hear the noise. Bingo. (Or wait till local bingo night)

Set up a night vision camera in the bedroom to monitor the goings on, put flour on the floor on the landing to check for foot prints. Failing that, you night need to call Egon Spengler and his friends.

Oh, and nail a cross to the wall above the bed.

• Like 2

To be on the safe side I'd definitely post a dog poo through the old girl's letterbox. That'll learn her

Edited by sparks03
  • Like 1

2 years ago we rented a Gite in Normandy in the first week in September. Laying in bed on the first night we heard tap, tap tap, pause, Taptaptaptaptap. It had my wife awake all night in fear. I turned over and went out cold. Mice in the bedroom roof void stocking up a winter food cache. I had to find their entry point from the orchard the next morning to get peace from SWMBO. If she had seen the size of the Coypu living in the outhouse we would have been on the next ferry back!

Edited by P6bJOHN

We heard some strange noises from the loft when we first moved in, turns out it was just the boiler keeping itself above freezing or something by clicking on and off for a bit.

Yeah. Frost stat built in to many now.

If it sensors the temp getting towards freezing, itll fire up just to prevent any damage freezing can cause.

Thermal expansion and contraction?

Our house has a few cracks and knocks as the temperature drops near bedtime, some of our roof timbers are well insulated, some exposed due to a loft conversion and they twist slightly in the heat and then straighten when they cool.  Also the conservatory cools at different speeds to the adjoining brick and flat roof, that makes a racket after a hot day too.

Drove me mad for a while until a surveyor had a re-visit.

Most likely is something water related, as said above, perhaps her water heater is timed to come on and that sets her pipes off and she is unaware.....

Any update on this?  Have you exorcised your demon?

Well all is quiet now, i've not done anything other then speak to the neigbour nextdoor so im wondering if it was her. If it had been a detached house i think i would have sold it haha

• Like 2