Washing Machines

Gwilo

The 9 year old Hotpoint has starting wheezing, clunking and bouncing around the kitchen, so it's time for new one.
The current crop of Indesit/Hotpoint/Hoovers leave me cold, mainly because the build quality is frankly diabolical - dials that wouldn't turn or sprouted, phallus-like from the front, dispensing drawers that fell apart when you looked at them.....

So far I've gravitated towards the Germans or the Japanese
AEG L76675FL
Panasonic NA-168VG4

or, wildcard
John Lewis - JLWM1414

Now, as far as I can tell, the John Lewis machine is made my AEG, and, aside from not having a description full of marketing BS, sounds exactly like the AEG, for £50 less and an extra years warranty (3 years). The LG is a two year warranty (though the motor element is 10 years).

Any experience of the above brands/wash capability?

I've had 2 Zanussi washing machines and both lasted over 10 years. Always been a great purchase and superb value.

Last time i purchased i did the price match via John Lewis and got the 5-year warranty with them for FREE.  :thumbup:

John Lewis delivery service is also very good - it has to be said.

Expensive Bosch

...............The end.

I believe cheap Bosch machines have terrible build quality (might almost be re-badged something else).

I have an more expensive one I bought about 10 years ago, still going strong, unlike the indish!t it replaced :-)  I got mine from TribualUK.com at the time,, not sure if they still offer such great prices though.

My 11 year old AEG Lavamat Turbo washer still going strong, although it has now started to exhibit the infamous mid-cycle "E-10" filling fault on the digital display (Non-fatal) (Last knockings of the "Re-unification quality" white goods ?) - the machine seems to be very sensitive to the water pressure from the mains - doesn't like low pressure. Other than that all OK.

Not overly impressed with the replacement Hotpoint fridge I got this year - as, you said, plastics quite thin and a very noisy (Click-click) relay on the compressor - made in Turkey. Doesn't sound as if its going to last too long before it faults.

Really impressed with the 2.2 Kw (!!!) Miele cylinder vac I purchased last year.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

My 11 year old AEG Lavamat Turbo washer still going strong, although it has now started to exhibit the infamous mid-cycle "E-10" filling fault on the digital display (Non-fatal) - the machine seems to be very sensitive to the water pressure from the mains - doesn't like low pressure. Other than that all OK.

Not overly impressed with the replacement Hotpoint fridge I got this year - as, you said, plastics quite thin and a very noisy (Click-click) relay on the compressor - made in Turkey.

Really impressed with the 2.2 Kw (!!!) Miele cylinder vac I purchased last year.

Nick

Our AEG died about two months ago.  We had it for 7 years and with two small children used it a lot, so it had done up proud.  Bearings went on the drum but it had also started to refuse to stop spinning, so decided to get rid of it rather than change the bearings.

Replaced it with a Bosch machine from John Lewis.

LOL at the wifi washer.

As a WindowsPhone user though, there's probably no app........

the panasonic gets crummy rating by Which?....the JL's tend to be ok, if a mixed bag.

Samsungs get good reviews. Price point is a little higher, but the longer warranty (full parts and labour) might just swing it.  Fairly good on water consumption too....new property is metered, so that could be a consideration.

• Like 1

You've been suckered by JL's slightly misleading marketing department.....

JL "give" you a two year warranty, and say claim an extra 8 years...... which, conveniently, adds up to the ten year warranty that Miele provide.

JL's marketeers used to work for the Treasury, with that sort of massaging of figures.

• Like 2

You've been suckered by JL's slightly misleading marketing department.....

JL "give" you a two year warranty, and say claim an extra 8 years...... which, conveniently, adds up to the ten year warranty that Miele provide.

JL's marketeers used to work for the Treasury, with that sort of massaging of figures.

Yeah I thought that might be the case but didn't have time to read all the ts and cs to

Samsung do cheaper washers, and I can confirm they are VERY good. Had mine for about 5 years now, very quiet and very good wash.

Not sure they are cheaper........all seem to be around the 450-550 mark, although I suspect you're specifically referencing the IT guy's wet dream wifi washer, which is totally pointless IMO.

What ever happened to the Dyson Washing machines?  

I paid £350 for mine, but that was 5 years ago; prior to the newer "Eco Bubble" machines (they came out about 18 months later). Still, even the conventional machine I have now wipes the floor with any other machine I have owned, and I would rate it better than the £600 Panasonic my mother recently bought.

The spin stabilizer can get a bit upset if SWMBO overloads it though; had to remove the odd pillow/heavy coat and spin them separately.

Samsung, Miele LG or Bosch are the top performers in the which report, so one of those makes to suit your budget?

Not sure about the LG's for some reason.....Samsung and Bosch.....Samsung edging it, purely because it's available in something other than white.....

Siemens here too, washing machine, dryer and my kitchen appliances. Except for the two door Panasonic fridge.

Went for Siemens as quality and price match. Miele isnt that good as it was anymore and I rather change to more modern and efficient appliances than keep them for a very long time.

Same spec Miele would have cost almost twice the (already steep) Siemens price.