Washing Machines

Gwilo

I've just replaced the drum spider on my Hotpoint Aquarius Ultima washer. When I opened it up, the manufacture date was 1987. As I found, you can still get parts for it. I doubt the modern tat will last as long or be fixed as cost effectively (£22 for a new spider, nuts and bolts).

I've seen the inside of a modern Miele and the construction quality is very similar to my old Hotpoint.

I agree about Miele, the build quality has dropped dramatically over the last 7-10 years; the last Miele washing machine we had at work didnt even last as long as the Hotpoint it was replacing. Bosch and AEG have been a bit hit and miss as well, with door seal issues and leaking water. Even when fixed, this has meant the shells starting to rust a lot earlier than expected.

I miss the 30 y/o AEG "Princess" we started out with, we only got rid of it because it used to "eat" baby socks; I was constantly taking the filter apart to get them unwrapped from the waste impeller.

We have-

Bosch Dishwasher  8+ years old, still spot on and used daily.

Bosch Washing machine #1 (Classixx) 13 years young!!! put into my rental property after many years service

with us 2001 machine data label seen when I replaced drum seal before it went to the other house. (for just £15.)

Still used daily by my tenants. No issues.  

Bosch Washing machine #2 (Varioperfect)now about a year old. Many more functions than the old, 

Washes quicker and with less energy. Great upgrade from the last machine. 

Bosch Fridge Freezer 10+ Years old, still does its job well, cleans up nice and easily, quiet and reliable.

Very happy with their products.

• Like 2

We've a Samsung Ecobubble with a 5yr warranty

Also looked at LG which had a 10yr (I think) motor warranty. But tbh it always seems to be the bearing that go with us from SWMBO overloading them.

Edited by Aspman

We've a Samsung Ecobubble with a 5yr warranty

Same here.  Replaced a Zanussi, and a Bosch before that.  It's on every day and often twice.  Best of the three without a doubt, in my opinion.

Gaz

We have-

Bosch Dishwasher  8+ years old, still spot on and used daily.

Bosch Washing machine #1 (Classixx) 13 years young!!! put into my rental property after many years service

with us 2001 machine data label seen when I replaced drum seal before it went to the other house. (for just £15.)

Still used daily by my tenants. No issues.  

Bosch Washing machine #2 (Varioperfect)now about a year old. Many more functions than the old, 

Washes quicker and with less energy. Great upgrade from the last machine. 

Bosch Fridge Freezer 10+ Years old, still does its job well, cleans up nice and easily, quiet and reliable.

Very happy with their products.

Failed at less than 2 years of age.

1x Bosch Classixx Dishwasher

2x Bosch Classixx Washing machine

1x Bosch Classixx Condenser dryer.

1x AEG something or other washer/dryer

To be fair, they are run nearly all day, going on at about 9:30am and a last load started at about 6pm Monday to Friday.

Our Bosch is about 3 years old now and was one of the top end machines. It's coming to end of life now. Getting very noisy, shakes about a lot, and despite having had all the pipes out and bleached them there's a really nasty smell coming from somewhere. Finally traced it to the rubber door seal which seems to have absorbed somehow, and will need a new one.

Miele next time. For a couple of hundred quid more it'll be a far better machine.

Always had Miele......................the new one was bought last year to replace the old one which needed the main "spider" bearings done at the back which even if I did them myself was not worth it..................originally purchased in 1985.......so 28yrs old!

Gone off Bosch fridge/freezes as last one only did 6yrs approx. where as the previous Bosch did double!...............now have Miele.............. :D

• Like 1

I wont buy another washer/dryer, the few I have owned/had to use at work, have been dire.

I keep a cheap vented  tumble dryer for those few times I need to get a load dried and I cant do it any other way; I dont care what they claim, condenser dryers are NOT more energy efficient - because they do such a poor job of drying the clothes, you have to run them for longer than a vented dryer!!

• Like 2

Miele, 10 yr warrantee, built like a tank, weighs a ton,quiet,turbine smooth (might disappoint some females used to sitting on a Hotpoint) and consistently top performer for cleaning according to Which magazine.

Works out cheap in the long run.

• Like 1

15-20 years ago Bosch were great, but the build quality on stuff made in the last 10 years just keeps going down.

For example, a 50Kg, 1.6m, timid nurse at our nursery managed to RIP the door handle mechanism out of our last Classixx Dishwasher.

Yes, it was easy (if expensive), to replace, but looking at the build - the thing relies on a couple of tiny THIN bits of plastic to hold everything together and make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read on the BBC, the head of the white goods association (or something similar), has admitted the lifespan for washers has dropped from an average of 10 years to only 7 years over the last decade; with sub-£300 machines often lasting for only 2-3 years.