tweenster's Citigo Monte Carlo - it's very red!

tweenster

Some of the comments remind me of when I first learnt to drive at 17.

Tail out action and fastest way in and out of a corner in a 1 litre Saxo. Times haven't changed. We are talking of a 1 litre engine 60 bhp. Some of the comments bring a smile haha

• Like 1

Tail out action and fastest way in and out of a corner in a 1 litre Saxo. Times haven't changed. We are talking of a 1 litre engine 60 bhp. Some of the comments bring a smile haha

Only I'm a VERY long way from 17! I've owned some decent hot hatchbacks and for tail out action my kart racing career beats anything that I've done on the road into a cocked hat!

• Like 1

I'm 19 with a black-box drive recorder fitted or insurance purposes. There's no tail-flicking happening on my watch. Just seen the videos. And 60bhp in a car that weighs equal to a feather is plenty power to have fun in!

As for your Saxo, that car was designed to be sideways on a country lane, so an excellent choice! Haha. :-)

I'm 19 with a black-box drive recorder fitted or insurance purposes. There's no tail-flicking happening on my watch. Just seen the videos. And 60bhp in a car that weighs equal to a feather is plenty power to have fun in!

As for your Saxo, that car was designed to be sideways on a country lane, so an excellent choice! Haha. :-)

We never measured it but we thought the Rotax engine in our kart had about 20bhp, in hindsight that might have been conservative.100cc karts are now running around 50bhp, run on slick tyres and are IMHO pound for pound the most fun you can have whilst moving on 4 wheels.

Tomorrow will be the Citigo's next BIG challenge - a 4-up trip to take the kids to see their Grandparents. The 'kids' in question are 21, 19 and 13 so it is effectively 4 adults; lets see how 60bhp copes with that!

• Like 1

The little Citigo was brilliant today. OK, it was fully loaded so steep hills were always going to be a problem so changing down was required, but the gearbox/clutch are light and easy to use so not a problem. At motorway speeds it is fine and is in the sweet spot of the rev range to make accelerating around 70mph no problem.  The only issue is that the lack of power makes overtaking on country lanes more of an issue than with the vRS. I hoofed the Citigo everywhere today and despite that, and the load, it still returned 53mpg and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. Even those sat in the back said they had plenty of room and were not uncomfortable.

Now where can I get a factory approved 75bhp remap ...?

• Like 2

Now where can I get a factory approved 75bhp remap ...?

I emailed Skoda UK last night with this question and had a phone call this morning from a very nice chap. Unfortunately there is no Skoda approved mod/remap and you cannot just swap the ECUs (but didn't explain why not although I'm guessing the ECUs control a whole bunch of other stuff like the locking system?) and he then went on about affecting warranty etc etc. Oh well. Give it a year or so and then speak to the likes of Shark ...

A road trip to Norwich this morning to take No 1 son back to Uni.; averaged just 53mpg today but average speed was 50mph (as opposed to last week's figures for the same journey of 57mpg and 41mph). The Citigo is a great companion, and knowing that 3rd gear will go to 85mph (where it is safe and legal to do so) means that overtaking is not such a hardship as I thought it might be with just 60bhp.

But the eejits were out in force this morning. Yes it was cold and yes it was foggy, but there is no need for fog lights when you are in a queue of traffic, and a bit of frost does not make an ice rink out of the roads. And the utter **** who couldn't wait for the car in front to complete his overtake on the dual carriageway so squeezed between the car in the outside lane and the barrier to get by, and the ****wit in the Mondeo who drove at 45mph until someone went to overtake him when he speeded up to 60 - saw him do this 3 times before it was my turn (yes, I was in 3rd when I went by!).

Oh well, home safe and as I've been on call for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day it's time to play 'catch up'!  Happy Boxing Day folks.  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

"knowing that 3rd gear will go to 85mph"

Ragging it a bit :no:

It's about 6000rpm so still below the red line, doesn't qualify as 'ragging' in my book. Makes a great noise as well!

'Will go' and 'Did go' are two different figures of speech. OP didn't specify which. Therefore no judgement or comment needed no?

Apologies to the BPS (Briskoda Pedants Society) :)

Where safe AND legal to do so?

Mmmmm

I have a 9000 foot runway to play on!  Lewis Hamilton managed in excess of 200mph down it last year and was comfortably beaten by a small red runabout!

• Like 2

I have a 9000 foot runway to play on!  Lewis Hamilton managed in excess of 200mph down it last year and was comfortably beaten by a small red runabout!

A little reminder for those that may have forgotten.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23041147

• Like 1

Some of us have also been to Germany where in places it is safe and legal to drive at almost any speed. I have taken a couple of my cars to max speed on the autobahns ( non of the fast ones I've owned though :()

• Like 1

Some of us have also been to Germany where in places it is safe and legal to drive at almost any speed. I have taken a couple of my cars to max speed on the autobahns ( non of the fast ones I've owned though :()

I've not done that, yet! Something I would like to do though; many years ago before speed cameras were rife I did 'stretch the legs' of my Mk2 Golf GTI 16v late at night on an empty motorway!

• 3 weeks later...

Actually got round to sending off the paperwork to DVLC over Christmas and my new V5C arrived on Friday so today I fitted my personal number plates. I have pressed steel plates and use plain black surrounds to mount the plates so there are no unsightly screw covers to be seen; looks good (well I would say that wouldn't I!).

• 3 weeks later...