tweenster's Citigo Monte Carlo - it's very red!

tweenster

I started my winter paint protection today; clayed, polished and BSD'd the roof and bonnet. Will hopefully get some more done tomorrow and finish it over the next couple of weeks or so - I have a very low boredom threshold! I also fitted silver front indicator bulbs and mounted my motion sensing LED boot light.

Having driven Mrs T's Fabia vRS last weekend I would like to 'tighten up' the Citigo's handling. I'm contemplating either H&R springs (affordable) or coilovers (expensive). I'm in no rush though.

And car washing is so much easier with the Karcher!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is not a light strip but a battery operated PIR LED torch. Will get a link later this week, am in bed now - yeah, rock and roll!

This is working really well but the sticky pad is not strong enough to keep it attached where I want it so need to work on a better fix.

I've put 270 miles on the Citigo this week and it is proving an excellent companion. I'm now thinking of Eibach springs for it, these won't lower it much (I think just 10mm on a Monte Carlo) but should firm it up a bit, which is what I'm after. I reckon coilovers would be a step too far.

Has anyone fitted Eibachs to their Citigo?

It handles well but is a little bouncy for my liking and feels 'floaty' (if that makes sense) rather than 'planted' (if you know what I mean). No, I'm staying with 15" standard Monte Carlo alloys.

• Like 1

Brimmed the tank from almost empty today (as in a range of just 15 miles showing on the PID) and it cost a mere £42! I will get around 400 miles from a tank (heavy right foot, use of the full rev range off roundabouts etc); my Mondeo would have cost me £80+ to brim (at the current price) and the range would have been about 440 miles. Makes me happy every time I think of it! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The more I drive it the better the Citigo gets. Today I've done a number of journeys through the city, nailing it off roundabouts enjoying the aural sensations whilst revelling in the sharp steering and snappy gearchanges, and all done with a huge grin on my face. If I had driven my Mondeo like this I would have lost my licence in fairly short order, but the Citigo manages all this whilst remaining within the law. And the best bit was that, despite all this hooliganism, the PID was still showing in excess of 52mpg! It is, in my humble opinion, a quite brilliant little car.

• Like 2

Just renewed my insurance; I could have got it a little cheaper elsewhere but have gone with the official Skoda insurance provider. So, £185 for insurance, £20 road tax, free servicing, no MOT required and over 50mpg. This is by some margin the cheapest car to run I have ever owned. That it is such a hoot to drive is the icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

I think I might have been enjoying myself a little too much yesterday. I had a return trip to Derby and managed 'just' 46mpg on the way there and a marginally better 49mpg on the way back. Used 6000rpm for the first time - the sound is quite addictive!

• Like 2

Unlikely in a front wheel drive hatchback! But I get the sentiment.

Watched a few reviews of people licking it into corners. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to get the tail-out on these cars!!

• Like 1

Had to collect Miss T from school yesterday. On the way home the range on the PID was down to zero by the time I got to the garage. Interestingly, I could only get 36.47 litres in. Even allowing for squeezing another half a litre in by trickle brimming it means there was still over a gallon left in the tank. Clearly the PID range is 'conservative'.

Had to collect Miss T from school yesterday. On the way home the range on the PID was down to zero by the time I got to the garage. Interestingly, I could only get 36.47 litres in. Even allowing for squeezing another half a litre in by trickle brimming it means there was still over a gallon left in the tank. Clearly the PID range is 'conservative'.

You didn't do bad getting 36.47 litres in considering it is only a 35 litre tank! (plus filler neck)

You didn't do bad getting 36.47 litres in considering it is only a 35 litre tank! (plus filler neck)

You are, of course, right. Why on earth did I think it was a 42 litre tank? Clearly it was very empty then!