Why you should be alert while driving in Belgium

mr rooney

A country with possibly the worst driving standards in Europe. I have no idea why but I frequently witness it first hand.

This is the E40 a road used by almost everyone going to the nurburgring.

No fatalities in this video surprisingly.

• Like 1

I too saw a lot of people pulling this stunt around that area.

Absolutely belt it past you just to pull in with the brakes on and fly straight across into the slip road!

Lunacy!

I'm amazed there were no fatalities in that video!

Phil

• Like 1

The amount of drivers in this country that decide that they want the junction at the last minute also happens.

People are too lazy to queue or even go slower to worry. The M4/M25 East bound is a prime example.

• Like 2

Have seen a similar incident (without the multiple lorries) on the A40 near Denham. Down the hill from Ickenham etc, car crosses from the OS lane to hit the slip road lane.... Wham, straight into the back of the queue without braking.

Every country has people who do that. Often enough and in heavy enough traffic, and they'll cause a monster pile up.

Against all odds, the woman was injured, but alive. She broke her top two vertebrae and shattered her hand, while she was also in a coma, but is now "recovering exceptionally well", according to an interview that she gave to Belgian news station HLN this past Sunday.

Source:
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/woman-hits-truck-gets-struck-by-2nd.html

I had someone do something very similar on the M32. She hit the car behind me doing about 40 without braking. Totalled the vectra behind me, almost wrote off my car and left me with a permanently knackered shoulder.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I had someone do something very similar on the M32. She hit the car behind me doing about 40 without braking. Totalled the vectra behind me, almost wrote off my car and left me with a permanently knackered shoulder.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

And i bet she got a lovely Compo package for the trauma too....

After watching this and a few others afterwards, the fact that I have had 4 people try to change the shape of my car in the last 36 hours I am going to buy myself a dashcam

Yesterday morning while driving to work I indicated right to turn into the industrial estate and as I was turning in the old boy waiting at the junction started to pull out. The look of sheer horror on his face when he saw me while slamming on the anchors told me that he really hadn't seen me. I had indicated a coupe of hundred yards back up the road in a 30mph zone and I had my headlights on.

Is it not time that insurers started compiling a database of stupid antics shown on social media websites and writing to their insured drivers warning them that their premiums will rise unless they take an Advanced Motoring Course?

And i bet she got a lovely Compo package for the trauma too....

It's Belgium, they'll offer her a comfy coat and a chair whilst she listens to many soothing bird songs at the side of a road near a meadow. :)

Hope she continues to recover. Though also hope big, official waggy fingers come out and spank her for causing the incident.

Absolutely amazed no one died in that.

Lucky to escape the first one without lose of life but the second wagon could easily have killed the driver (or others) with the debris flying everywhere

The stupidity of drivers on the M25 knows no bounds either.   Every day, you see people join the M4 at Slough or Langley and cut in last minute for the M4/ M25 junction, causing  hard braking and swerving.   At least twice a week there's a pile up caused by pure selfishness  - helps to explain why SL postcodes are one of the highest areas for motor insurance premiums.

Honestly!   Why do people think that bloody great Junction Information signs are posted 1 mile and 1/2 mile before the turn off (in Europe it's 2 km and 1 km).   By the time you get to the 1/2 mile (1 km) sign, you should already be in the nearside lane ready to take the junction.   Your indicator signal should go on somewhere between the third countdown marker and the first, so that your intentions are crystal clear to everyone!

My God!   What is so hard to understand? 

Leaving A Motorway You exit a motorway using a junction. These junctions are clearly marked with signs at one mile, then again at half a mile, and then countdown markers (right) at 300, 200 and 100 yards before the slip road to the exit begins.

Always try and be in the left-hand lane at around the half-mile sign. As on a dual carriage signal left as you pass the 300-yard countdown marker.

countdown01.gif
countdown02.gif
countdown03.gif

To leave the motorway:

• use the MSM/PSL routine in good time
  • get into the correct lane early, unless you're already in the left-hand lane.

If you miss your intended junction the drive to the next junction, leave the motorway and rejoin in the opposite direction then continue to the required junction. Never try and reverse up the motorway to the slip road.

Extract from:

http://www.driving-test-success.com/driving-articles/driving-motorways.htm

Edited by bealine
  • Like 1