Water in the front doors of VRS octavia

I bought the car in April new.. Have been plagued with cap full of rain water in the front two doors .. Told by dealer today they inspected drain holes, seals ok. They tested other Octaviasbin garage today, that has been in rain and found same characteristics.. So it ok to have water collect in my sill and door...

What? Is this correct they have been building car doors for 100 years and never have I ever had water in the sills... Is this correct.? I asked the forum before and it went way off the thread.. all I want to know is is this a design fault ... Do you all expect water to collect and run out by the cup when you open the VRS door. Surely not?

Biggles

Guys this can't be right a dealer saying its the same on other Ocavias in the garage, then that makes it Ok.

The VRS is a top car I expect better than this from Skoda, water trapped and rushing out by the cap fiull, this can not be right.Not going to help rust proofing? . If I had known of this I would have bought another make of car..

Biggles

This is apparently a common issue with VAG cars, there was a thread about this a few months ago...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/306279-water-retention-in-doors/

I had the dealer try to modify the seals on my car a couple of times to no avail, basically, when you close the door, the seal at the bottom compresses and blocks the drain holes at the front of the door, so water collects particularly when parked on incline facing downhill but is then released when the door is opened, some say it is normal, I still think it is a design fault but have decided to live with it, life is too short to worry!

• Like 1

You think that's bad, wait until you get your wing mirrors full of water after washing and waxing. Drive down the road and it's emptying all down the side of your clean car.....

My doors also fill with water, only with really heavy rain tho.... It is annoying I must admit. Let us know if you find a solution.

Thank you everyone for the posts.. It does not seem right that engineers can design a car like the Octavia VRS and not find out it collects water in the door sills when it rains. I am not sure what I can do now as it seems a problem with no solution

Thanks

Biggles

Solutions  seem to be trim the seal fromcAround the drain, step away as you open the door to keep toes dry and.... Be very very cautious if cold enough to freeze any trapped water, or you may bend the front bottom corner of the door.

Guys this can't be right a dealer saying its the same on other Ocavias in the garage, then that makes it Ok.

The VRS is a top car I expect better than this from Skoda, water trapped and rushing out by the cap fiull, this can not be right.Not going to help rust proofing? . If I had known of this I would have bought another make of car..

Biggles

Every Skoda I've had have done this including my new Rapid.

Every Skoda I've had have done this including my new Rapid.

Same here, the water isn't in the door anyway, it's sits on top of the sill held there by the bottom door seal and just falls onto the ground then the door is open. It's a non-issue, it's water sat on the paint, no different to it sitting on the roof or bonnet.

• Like 3

Same here, the water isn't in the door anyway, it's sits on top of the sill held there by the bottom door seal and just falls onto the ground then the door is open. It's a non-issue, it's water sat on the paint, no different to it sitting on the roof or bonnet.

Not on mine, it defo builds up inside the door as you can see it running out for a few seconds after opening the door wide whereas if it was only on the sill it would just run off as you say but that is not the case. As I have posted in the other thread, this is our 4th Skoda and the first to be blighted, Octy I, Octy IIFL and Superb II all had no issues, so for some reason it doesn't affect all cars, bit like the booming issue which is random also.

I get the usual water collecting ON the top of the sill but that's fine, open the door and it goes or do as another poster did, cut a tiny amount of the rubber seal away to let it flow out on its own.

Back to OP, you have drain holes in the door for a reason, if the water collects in the doors then it's back to the dealers....

Mine has always done this,as said seal covers drain hole when shut,think this will be modded out in due course, but the important thing is the water drains out,not bothered my self as the car has body corroion warranty and keep em for 18months to2years,so why worry

My 2010 Vrs does it as well. After you've washed the car or it's been raining, the collected water runs out the bottom of the door when you open the doors. Looked at it from this point of view, if the door rusts and you've maintained the service history and looked after your pride and joy then claim on the anti-corrosion.

Mine does it every time it rains but only on the drivers Door So that would seem too indicate there's something specific that causes it. I do worry about it a bit because my car can often stand for days at a time - the other week I opened it on a sunny dry day any got a LOAD of it - which had presumably been sitting there since the monsoon a week before - all over my freshly cleaned shoes

I'm hoping the paintwork is better than the old cars which used to rust right through at this exact spot...

Edited by Dr_Pepper

Thanks guys for the info... I just think it is unacceptable on a new car and would love to have a poll of dissatisfied Octavia Vrs drivers re water sitting in the doors.. My garage had to check another Octavia in the garage and were delighted that it had the same problem thus that's Ok? My neighbour has a Superb and a friend has an Octavia and it does not happen to them.. If the garage seem never to have had a complaint before it suggests something is not right here...

Does anyone know if this is seriously alright or are we just putting up with a design problem?

My company Subaru estate nor does my old traded in Peugeot had no water in the sills.. All VAG had to do was copy one of their door designs?

So is it a problem we should just accept?

Thank you

Biggles

Mine does it every time it rains but only on the drivers Door So that would seem too indicate there's something specific that causes it. I do worry about it a bit because my car can often stand for days at a time - the other week I opened it on a sunny dry day any got a LOAD of it - which had presumably been sitting there since the monsoon a week before - all over my freshly cleaned shoes

I'm hoping the paintwork is better than the old cars which used to rust right through at this exact spot...

ITs not the paintwork that stops them rusting out but the corrosion protection inside yor doors, at least the water is draining out, life is too short to worry about percieved problems when there are real ones to worry about
  • Like 4

Thankfully, my Octavia doesn't do this, but after I read a previous thread on this forum I checked it out on an Octavia in my dealers showroom. I opened the passenger door, pulled the seal away at the drain hole and a bucket full of water poured out onto the showroom floor. I asked the dealer if this was common on the Octavia. He said they had had a number of complaints on the Rapid, but not on the Octavia. After taking delivery of mine, I'm paranoid about water collecting in the doors, so everytime I wash it I pull away the seals. Todate, very little water has come out. It would appear that it's random whether or not you get one that does it, but it's ridiculous to suggest that it is normal for a car deisgned in 2012 to retain gallons of water in the doors.

Being a mk2 octavia owner and looking to order a mk3, I can't say how disappointed I am that this design flaw is still here. It's the fact when there is heavy rain water get's inside the car going over the bottom seal on the door frame. So rust can then become an issue, not in the door but on the floor pan.

I understand your comment Cortina 63 re "life being too short" and no disrespect meant as I value you suggestions but if I pay many thousands of pounds for a new Skoda I expect it to be fit for purpose and not leaking water all over the front mats.

Biggles

• Like 1

I understand your comment Cortina 63 re "life being too short" and no disrespect meant as I value you suggestions but if I pay many thousands of pounds for a new Skoda I expect it to be fit for purpose and not leaking water all over the front mats.

Biggles

Biggles

iF its leaking water over your front mats,you must have a defective seal, as it might be running down the seal possibly getting passed the top of the outer seal,is it especially noticable when youv just washed the car,leaking from the door drains will not drain onto your floor mats,iv also paid as much as you have for my car,but if your not happy take it back to the dealers

I have to say I havent noticed this on my hatch.. Had some rains before, not so much recently, but I wash my car couple of times a month.

I only noticed when having fitted thule roof bars, since outer seals are bent, water gets in between outer and inner seals even on closed doors, then after opening the door you get some drops on water on the seat. Not nice to see but I cant see how can this be avoided.