Annoying Rattle............

No, not the wife as it does it when she's not riding shotgun.

Seems to be comming fron the rassenger side front door, sound like it's behind the door card or the trim on the B pillar, the bit that hides the seat belt at the side if the seat.

Can't pin point it though, any Idea folks ?

Thanks

I have exactly the same thing develop recently on my vRS (but on the drivers side as i've got the european steering wheel ;)).

It sounds to me like a loose cable behind the lower b-pillar cover as it rattles more when riding over rough roads or bumps.

When I get a minute I'll have a look at trying to remove this interior panel to see what is behind.

If this doesn't seem so easy to remove I'll drop it in to the dealer next month when I take it for the free "winter check" & ask them to investigate.

Mine has a few, the seat belt anchorage one you mention, also I get a very annoying buzz from behind the dash which sounds as though it's coming from behind the touchscreen.

The cars quite gruff at low revs and when cold (being a diesel) so noticeably worse first thing, particularly now the mornings have cooled off somewhat.

TBF I haven't had a VAG group car yet that doesn't rattle at all (and I've had a few) so will just live with it, rather that than have a main dealer pull it apart (probably damaging trim as they do it...been there done that) for it to either rattle the same or worse once their done. Each to their own though.

• Like 1

Seems to be comming fron the rassenger side front door, sound like it's behind the door card or the trim on the B pillar, the bit that hides the seat belt at the side if the seat.

Thanks

Mine has just started doing the same thing. Booked into dealers tomorrow to investigate another rattle so will get them to check this out at the same time. Will let you know what they say

• I had a squeak/creak from the drivers B-post - pushing on the plastic by the seat belt slot affected it. Dealer sorted by putting some foam behind the panel to stop it rubbing.

Have also often got a pretty annoying hollow-rattle, when NSR wheel goes over bumps. I'm guessing rear shock absorber, exhaust/mounting, or tailgate/door latch - but been unable to sort so far (still there with spare wheel, tools, parcel shelf removed & seats folded). Anyone else sorted this ?

Put plenty of sticky back felt, WD40 and insulating tape on ur xmas lists, I went through all this last winter, have solved various rattles including near side A pillar near headlining, both front door cards to avoid rattle when you rest ur arm on top edge, instrument binicle where meets main dashboard surround, rear seat back catches, to name a few. Only one I had to resort to dealer was inside steering column as the drivers side heating duct had worked loose.

Have you tried turning the sound generator down by 50%,it took care of my rattles and ressonances from the area mentioned,also try a piece of foam between the handle on the seat and the plastic trim

Hm.. lots of noises here :D

I recenly had some knocking noise, not a rattle, just single or multiple loud knocks when the car was shaken sideways, even at slow speeds.

Easily replicable when passing slowely over rail crossing at angle.

It sounded like it was caming from inside the car,  either from drivers B pilar, back door or so somewhere back.

Now I havent heard it for a while, may have to do some tests.

Thanks

Have exactly the same thing. As I'd already posted about a rattle from the boot, I was too scared to ask about this one too!  It's really annoying, I've nearly crashed a few times trying to poke and prod and pull bits of the passengers door while I'm driving to make it go away. I shall try the suggestions above before heading back to the dealer!

Thanks

Same place mine developed a rattle. Took it to the dealer, they took the b pillar trim off and found a clip that had come off. Sorted. 

Another vote for the seat height adjustment lever, especially if this only occurs when the seat is empty. Easy to check, see if the rattle occurs when you bash the back of the seat.

Like other posts, I have it too, initially from the front passenger door area but not the drivers side B pillar has joined in!

I'm loathe to start pulling trim off but will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for an oil change.

In fairness all cars rattle some sooner than others. I purchased a new Rx8 once and this was plagued by the dashboard rattle. Once that was fixed then the drivers doors rattled! Couldnt win. Cars seem to be getting set up with firmer suspension these days which probably doesn't help

Think I've sorted it, Glasses holder in the roof, removed Sunglasses and it seems to have cured the rattle

I had this on my Mk2 - you don't need to remove your glasses, just try to reposition them so that it does not rattle...

• 1 year later...

Have you tried turning the sound generator down by 50%,it took care of my rattles and ressonances from the area mentioned,also try a piece of foam between the handle on the seat and the plastic trim

How do you turn the sound generator down?

Mine has a few, the seat belt anchorage one you mention, also I get a very annoying buzz from behind the dash which sounds as though it's coming from behind the touchscreen.

The cars quite gruff at low revs and when cold (being a diesel) so noticeably worse first thing, particularly now the mornings have cooled off somewhat.

TBF I haven't had a VAG group car yet that doesn't rattle at all (and I've had a few) so will just live with it, rather that than have a main dealer pull it apart (probably damaging trim as they do it...been there done that) for it to either rattle the same or worse once their done. Each to their own though.

Mines identical, seams to be behind the touch screen too.

• 2 years later...

hi i have jkust got a octavia mk3 (63) plate and am getting a rattle from passenger side (uk car) and after nunerous atenpt to adjust and modify height adjuster putting extra washers into bolt and acompioning collar ( used to make these and seat belts  at trw for 14yrs)  to no avail i found the exact problem for me anyway it was the pump handle for adjusting height of seat none electric loose and rattling against the plastioc sides of the seat i have put sticky backed felt sheet on to back of handle and on the plastic covering side of the seat and hey presto rattle gone :biggrin: hopefully others can try this ( put a piece of rag between them as a temp measure to see if works for you) and hopefully cure there rattles

Edited by topgear

You're gonna love this one.

Mine developed a really annoying rattle from the boot area. I was convinced it was either the boot lid itself, or part of the mechanism inside it. 

I played around with the slam panel adjusters, to no avail. Disconnected the gas struts, etc. etc. After a couple of hours of adjusting / driving / fiddling I looked lower in the boot, under the spare wheel cover.

When I bought the car I forgot that I had wedged an extendable wheel brace down between the spare wheel and metal boot floor. The socket had popped off the top of the bar and was sitting on top of it, rattling away to it's hearts content against the metal boot floor.

D'oh! :D Tit.

• Haha 2