£1 per litre

James I

Frozen until May 2015, there has been no duty increase for some years now.

Laffer curve. They'd pushed the price up so high with duty that people cut back on fuel use/mile driven and the actual tax take from fuel was going down.

And the gov really want you to buy fuel not food.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Got talking to someone at work today who's a keen cyclist and uses something called a train. Says that he as a commuter is being fleeced and forced to pay for a better service whilst the car drivers are not paying their way.  I disagreed. It didn't go well. I went away muttering about the £100 fill up, which happens far too regularly. He went away saying it's only £30 to tax a car and he'll have spent that on fares soon enough.

Discuss.

On 25/10/13 I paid £1.469/L

On 24/10/14 I paid £1.339/L

An average of £1.414/L according to my fuel app over the last year. Averaging £0.156/mile over 19,650 miles.

Edit: Forgot to add this comparison is using Shell V-Power Diesel.

Edited by MattH
  • Like 1

Was struggling to think of where you meant until I googled it as I always cut up by that pub then down by the pharmacy and out on to the Aldi roundabout to avoid the lights.

Not you as well!

It's very busy down there due to this, I'm only 500yds away and have to fight through the short-cutters  :notme:

• Like 1

Any reduction would be gratefully received.

Although regional variations will make the headline prices quite a way out.

Just today I've seen diesel at £1.269 in Birmingham up to £1.329 in Wigan.

I paid £1.278 in Shropshire yesterday, but that garage is always 1-2p cheaper than the next ones on the A49.

If you are lucky to live in the 'right' place, you could be lucky and see below £1.10 before Spring.

1.27 in Tesco Bedrock( bedworth ) today .

Petrol is £1.227 and diesel £1.269 in Stevenage, whereas here in Blandford its £1.259 for petrol and diesel £1.299 as we have no competition in Blandford just Tesco and a very expensive independent Esso. The Esso is currently charging £127.9 for petrol and  £1.319 for diesel, yet has a regular stream of cars at the pumps putting £10 or so in.

Just noticed tonight that petrol has gone from 124.9p to 122.9p today at Tesco in Falkirk. That means that Morrisons in Falkirk will probably be 121.9 when I get there tomorrow and Asda in Alloa will be 120.7p

I remember early on in my driving life, maybe around 1994/5 that it was 55p a litre in edinburgh or £25 to fill the tank compared to £56 now

Edited by Delberthot

I fill up at Tesco once a month as I use the money off vouchers connected to my clubcard. It's 2p off a litre for every £50.

Soon mounts up after, my shopping, my mums shopping and all the other bits and bobs I pick up for people in a month!

No no no, he means he wants POSH petrol, with a hint of Basil and Rosemary, gentle simmered for EXACTLY 20 minutes, then decanted into a crystal goblet.

Had a few issues with cack supermarket fuel this year, in all three vehicles, swapped to another brand, everything was sorted.

Saving a few pence on fuel and losing reliability is a false economy!

I have only had fuel issues once - at the St Peters Tesco petrol station in Worcester - years ago; I got my tank filled with sand as well as fuel.

Tesco denied it, but I was only topping up (less than 1/3rd of a tank), ready for a long trip; the car conked out after 100m, the filters full of sand.

Despite Tesco denying it was there fuel, the local CAB had records of numerous complaints, it seems when the station was being built, a tipper accidentally tipped a load of sand into the new tank and every time the tank is refilled, the sand swirls around, gets sucked up by the pumps and deposited in the cars tank.

I havent heard of any issues in the last 5-10 years, so maybe all the sand has been sucked out by now.

I have had a negative impact on MPG, I filled my tank at Texaco a few times before noticing it knocked a good 15% off of my MPG compared to either the local BP or Morrisons petrol.