dfp delete 170cr

dpf delete will give better flow through the exhaust but you won't see much difference in power, coupled with a map and you'll see a marked improvement, if you're going down this route you might consider an egr delete also.

Shark did my Audi TT (same engine). There was no extra power. I got about 10-15 extra mpg though.

My DPF delete is in the 'for sale' section. With the right map the car won't visibly smoke much at all. I had a puff at about 2500rpm and that was it. My car did pass an MOT with the delete fitted, as the DPF was still fitted and they're only doing a visual check.

As above if there's nothing wrong with the car it seems pointless spending money on gutting the dpf to risk possible MOT issues in the future. IMO it would be better to use the money to either get it remapped by Shark or fit a tuning box from DTUK bepending on the customers preference and budget.

cheers

It was the same with catalytic converters and folk who wanted more power just removed them(including myself) and then put them back on come mot time.

With the DPF its not that straight forward, if you remove it the car must have the DPF mapped out otherwise the car will always be attempting to regen. However once mapped for the DPF delete you cannot refit the DPF otherwise it will just fill up and clog because the car will never regen.

Dpfs are now a mot check albeit a visual check, so if its been gutted then it would pass  the the mot (the tester cannot tell if the dpf inners are present)  but if its been removed it will now fail. (new special notice sent by vosa).

Edited by sherlocks VRS

Had mine done in June , some companies just drill large holes through the dpf , others cut open the dpf and remove the internals , I used a company in Bristol

Of course this is MFD reading but the car never did this before (In truth had sat on 61.9mpg for many miles but I dipped the clutch on a hill to round it up :)) the car is at least 5mpg better , where it used to do 42-44 on the daily commute it now does close to 50 although I'm expecting a drop as the cold weather has started and will easily do 56mpg plus on a run. It feels torquier and happier to sit in 6th gear at 70mph and still accelerate

Downsides , the car smells more dieselly only really noticable when you park

FWIW I had no issues with the DPF apart from a pressure sensor failure at about 35k but replacement was looming in the next couple of years

20140818_120048_zpsb3343ba1.jpg

• Like 1

Of course your car , your choice but I could see a few reasons, better on fuel , cheaper than replacement and drives better. 

So, in theory, if the DPF did need replacing in future, could you remove it altogether and save on the cost of a new one?

If you remove it completely it needs replacing with a straight-through section of exhaust. This then offers the MOT tester a visual confirmation that the DPF has been removed and he then has grounds to fail the car.

The more popular choice is to open up the DPF, remove the insides, weld it back up and remap the car to tell the sensors that the DPF is no longer fitted. If done properly the weld is impossible to see and for all intents and purposes the DPF is still fitted.

Of course the car will no longer register '0' on the emissions (soot) test which is a clue to a missing DPF but also signals a faulty DPF, not grounds for an MOT fail.

The biggest issue isn't the legality or the MOT grey area, it's the insurance. The car is modified and it's likely to be an undeclared modification.

I can relate to removing a fully working DPF. It's not a big job, not particularly expensive either. The fuel consumption benefits are obvious and confirmed on the CR170 by Richf.

Buy an already dead DPF, gut it, remove the good one from the car and put into storage. Fit the gutted DPF, enjoy a freer breathing engine and reduced fuel consumption.

If at some point in the future the DPF needs refitting (highly unlikely) then stick it back on, it ain't a big job.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

If the DPF is removed I would imagine the tailpipes would become black with soot, would an MOT tester not know the DPF is missing from this visual evidence? 

I imagine VOSA will eventually include particulates in the emissions test at an MOT and there are a lot of cars that are like ticking bombs as the DPF's will be dying a slow death.

Not sure what I will do when the BMW DPF plays up..  

If the DPF is removed I would imagine the tailpipes would become black with soot, would an MOT tester not know the DPF is missing from this visual evidence?

I imagine VOSA will eventually include particulates in the emissions test at an MOT and there are a lot of cars that are like ticking bombs as the DPF's will be dying a slow death.

Not sure what I will do when the BMW DPF plays up..

That's a good point about the tailpipes I'm not sure of the answer . On a car with a dpf with no problems at all if you look inside the tailpipes you will find that it's immaculate just like a brand new exhaust inside. ...richf what's yours like?
  • Like 1

A mot tester would not be bothered about sooty tail pipes if the dpf looks to be there and the emissions passed the criteria set down by vosa. Bet you though in a year or so the emissions check will get stricter and poss include a dpf emission check. 

That's a good point about the tailpipes I'm not sure of the answer . On a car with a dpf with no problems at all if you look inside the tailpipes you will find that it's immaculate just like a brand new exhaust inside. ...richf what's yours like?

Mine was always sooty pre and post dpf ! As was my dpf equipped PD Octavia and for that matter so is my petrol Fabia !

I am a detailer and do a lot of dpf equipped cars , I've yet to see one with a shiny tailpipe LOL :D