Poor fuel consumption?

bizarre mpg day.  

430 AM - 26 mile drive to work 42.8mpg.

430 PM - 26 mile drive home   58.6mpg.

Only 7 minutes slower as well.

Wind?

Has been quite windy in the last few days (bye bye summer).

If the wind altered the fuel consumption by 15% ie something like a 20-30 mph wind then makes sense.

Being a motorcyclist very aware of wind direction. 

Do more slipstreaming when in to the wind is generally my solution when in a relatively poor aero car ie over Cd of 0.3.

Hands up. I cane it a bit at 0430 AM when no-ones about, and pootle along in traffic late afternoon.

But this was by far the biggest swing - about a 34% improvment on the same journey.

Edited by camelspyyder

Sorry to butt in but yesterday I drove from Gloucester to a well know theme park near Birmingham (the one with a popular train), me and my 2 nephews (so a fairly light weight car) and freshly detailed travelling at a steady 60mph (those never ending road works and speed restrictions!)... 61.7 mpg!!! I couldn't believe it! With my normal commute being mostly town stuff I've been averaging 40-42mpg and on trips to London our best has been 52mpg. I have to say I'm happy with the little 1.2tsi's economy.

• Like 1

I got 52.6mpg today(instant reading) whilst slip streaming a van with practically no throttle. Couldn't believe it haha. Haven't seen that in a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My journey average hit 60mpg travelling on a single carriageway A road behind a lorry on Wednesday. Sadly a traffic jam reduced it to 58mpg by the time I reached my destination. I've come to realise that it is possible to hit really impressive MPG figures in this car, but the tolerances are quite fine.

I don't understand why you wouldn't buy diesel if you're bothered about mpg? My GF thrashes her 105TDi Spaceback SE Sport on B roads and also does some town mileage but still gets a genuine 50mpg. On a long cross country run I can easily get 60mpg whilst still averaging 50 mph.

Cos the diesel is rough. It grunts and groans and is a lot heavier - so worse handling ride and tyre wear too.

And also a second slower to 60 mph for the same horsepower, and kills people with Nitrogen Oxides and soot particles, a part from that they "buy their mother flowers" like Dinsdale Piriahna.

https://youtu.be/MXjrMU0jpAE   

It actually says every time you accelerate from a stop your mpg is sub 20, and that why you cant get 50+ mpg out of the bloody thing unless you chug along motorways at 60 or less without ever stopping.

• Like 1

Live MPG displays should be banned. I switched my old Astra's display to live MPG once. I had to turn it off as I couldn't tear my eyes away from it! It's fascinating watching your MPG dip below 15 every time you accelerate, but unless you are blessed with exquisite finesse of movement in your right foot, quite normal.

It actually says every time you accelerate from a stop your mpg is sub 20, and that why you cant get 50+ mpg out of the bloody thing unless you chug along motorways at 60 or less without ever stopping.

That's absolutely true. I was only doing 29mpg the other day max.

Although my rapid is still only telling me it does 42 mpg, last week I managed to get the range computer to say the tank could get 605 miles. This was driving on M1 & M6 to Birmingham. This is complete nonsense because as soon as I got off the motorway and stopped doing 50 miles per hour in 6th great it went straight back down. It was impressive for an hour looking at what could have been, anyway back to reality.

Although my rapid is still only telling me it does 42 mpg, last week I managed to get the range computer to say the tank could get 605 miles. This was driving on M1 & M6 to Birmingham. This is complete nonsense because as soon as I got off the motorway and stopped doing 50 miles per hour in 6th great it went straight back down. It was impressive for an hour looking at what could have been, anyway back to reality.

The fuel computer, I feel sure, takes account of the two visible MPG readings and a third one you cannot, which I reckon has a value of MPG over the last few miles/minutes hence the dive in range calculated when I beleive it averages all three registered.

Doing that same 50 mph overhead gantry controlled speed limits I use to often have the super excellent 1.9D Octy 1 up beyond 700 mile range and the Dacia/Renault 90 hp TCE engine will also get up beyond that value if the tank is near full and you get a good strech of road at this optimum speed of 50-55 mph ie the extra urban figure (65 mpg for the TCE with the eco button pressed). 

What is so poor is that these sorts of figures have improved so little over the last decade or several decades relative to other areas of improvement ie electronic technology. Clearly we need to use the Leaf/Zoe design (quarter million now sold) for shortish journeys and the combustion engine mainly for the 100 mile plus journeys or combine technology ie just a 250/500 cc engine for range.       

Yes I agree. Mine got to 550 the other week then plummeted as I hit town :(

I can genuinely achieve 550 miles to £63 of Tesco Momentum 99. I've done it quite a few times in my 1.2 TSI Sport.