Longest Stretch Between Time Off Sick?

hatchy

With Goldfinger off on the 'sick' yet again,it got me wondering what sort of time gaps people have gone between sick days. I'd managed to never have any time off sick until a cow headbutted me in the arm and broke my Ulna 2 years ago. Been working since 1986 so managed 26 years before needing to take a day off for sickness/injury. Soon got bored though and within a couple of days I was out doing what little I could and as soon I had the 'permanent cast' put on and it was below the elbow,which meant I could bend my arm again,I was back at work full time. Got a bit of a surprise when the cast came off though,my lower arm had a bit of a bend in it. The break had mended but because I was constantly moving the arm the break didn't heal 'cleanly' and it fused as a big lump. The nurse said it would reduce and it's a lot better now but if I roll my arm I can still feel/hear the 2 bones 'click' over each other because of the lump.  :D

I've been in my current job for 8 years, in that time I had one day off after a year when I got sent home riddled with flu and could barely stand up. Then did about 2 years before having to have a day off to go to hospital to have my finger sorted out after dropping a gear box on it. Then another 3.5 years and I had a day off (when there was no work on anyway) for heat stroke. The policy on sick pay had changed just before my last day off, as people were taking the ****, and they said they didn't want to pay me. I reminded work of how many extra unpaid hours I'd put in for the good of the company during my time there and an exception was made :D

Needless to say, I've got the best attendance record at my work :thumbup:

In my defence, I've had 2 ops for Cancerous Growths and 2 for Vascular Surgery in the last 12 months, buy Hay, I'm on full pay.  :yes:

Well that sort of stuff you need time off for. In my case a lot of it is some sort of idiotic self pride in refusing to take time off (you think bosses appreciate it but in reality they probably couldn't give a **** :D ) and I absolutely will not have anyone at work think I 'owe them a favour'. Luckily (touches wood quickly) I hardly ever get ill but there have been times when I've been milking the cows and chucking my guts up at the same. When I had my arm broke I worked on for 2 days hoping it was just 'badly bruised' :dull: . Another time I cut my hand open, needed 30 stitches put in it and was back milking in the afternoon. Those bloody stitches were so painful (anaesthetic needle going into to hand and along bone as he pushed it in) I wont go to hospital now if I get a bad cut. Had some right doozies too but just bandage it up and let it heal itself. 

Six days in 27 years of working - three in one go with a really bad bout of flu, and a half day due to an unexpected hangover! (surprised by the generosity of my bosses, and the alcohol in Caffrey's). I'll been ill more than that, but it's nearly always been the odd day in a holiday or weekend. Last day was probably seven or eight years ago.

i managed 23 years without a single sick day, then managed to get Shingles which took me out from work for a week. Not had a day off sick since that period which was more than 4 years ago.

No idea really, maybe a year or two, or three. 

It perhaps doesn't apply to anyone that's posted here, but it's neither considerate nor efficient overall for people to come into work full of cold/flu and share their lurgy round, just so they can maintain 'super-duper attendance records' though, IMHO.

• Like 1

Did about 5 or 6 years without a day off, then we got the sprog. This year has been ok but the last 3 I've been off a couple of times a year with some 'orrible flu thing he's brought back from nursery. Was calling him the Typhoid Toddler for a while it was so bad.

Working for 30 years, and only had three period of 'off time' first was after 12 years after a car accident 6 months off (had to learn to walk again and write right handed after being left handed my whole life) second was during the swine flu epidemic (3 weeks, I think I spent about 8 hours out of bed in that time) and the last, 7 months in rehab, and none of this time did I ever receive any benefits

Zero days off, sick or not. Then shattered leg and over 3 months stuck in bed 24/7 with leg elevated (eat, sleep, shi........! :( Still went back to work far too early and will be paying the price of that for the rest of my life......... Come to think I did have a couple of days off after each subsequent operation I have had, but normally op Friday and back in work Monday lording it up in the office surfing Brisky :D 

longest single period is 7 weeks with a broken leg. Apart from that I might have a week off a year due to bugs etc. We have people at my place who are literally off sick at least one day a week. I feel if they can take the **** then why should I come in when I am genuinely sick?

HR at our place is too weak on shirkers IMO, we have one guy who works from home even though he has no project work, it's basically so he can care for his mum, they started putting pressure on him so he went off sick with stress for 6 weeks, they have now backed off him. I work for a private firm as well (I thought this stuff only went on in councils!!)

not me but my Uncle became ill at the age of 79, he went to his local GP practice, having lived in the same house since my Gran parents returned to Scotland when he was 4.( they had emigrated but did not settle and returned to Scotland after my uncle and aunt were born in Canada).

The NHS had no record of his existence as he had not seen a medical professional in his 79 years. Sadly he died of cancer 5 months later.

I took a shocking 1.8 hours off sick today! :o  I can take time off in work every 6 minutes, so in order to have the first ever tooth extraction in my life :( I had to take a chunk of the morning off.

I was back in work by 10.30am though, complete with gauze being mashed in my back teeth to stem the bleeding!  :D  Takes a fair bit to stop me working. ;)