Full throttle guilt?

willmag

You may think I'm mad and I hope you do, but every time I've been on a journey where I put my foot down for a few seconds I feel guilty and have to check after that everything sounds ok! Am I mad, does anyone else do this?

I admit I do in mine.  Usually after data logging I find my brakes start squealing on light to medium braking.  I have yet to figure out the correlation :D

But after a few 3rd gear redlines, I do like to take it easy on the way back home - mainly because I know in those 3 miles I want all the temps to be back to normal.  The same applies on a trackday session.  I will always do one gentle full lap at the end of a session to cool the car down before coming in to the pits.  :thumbup:

I get that guilt in 3rd gear. When you try and imagine stresses in the gearbox. Crank. Head bolts and con rods. But its too addictive not too do it.

I also feel guilty if ever there is a poor bike when I boot is at about 1800rpm. Nice cloud of smoke untill the turbo gets on the go (which dont take long)

Ivr brought me fueling down and the cold weather has sorted smoke out now lol

The engine is designed for it.

As long as you're not redlining it all the time or even over revving you'll be fine.

I often floor it in mine from a standstill and let it rev out in each gear to get me up to speed.

Gives everything a blow out too.

Phil

Providing that I don't red line it, I don't feel guilty at all, as most times if I'm foot to the floor, it's for over-taking. I don't do it in first or second gears to avoid over stressing the transmission (I have noticed that my gearbox can be a little noisy in 2nd gear, especially on the over-run, so mechanical sympathy is probably wise!).  Mostly I don't floor it as it needlessly burns fuel at a hell of a rate and doesn't do much for tyre life if a regular thing.

The engine is designed for it.

As long as you're not redlining it all the time or even over revving you'll be fine.

I often floor it in mine from a standstill and let it rev out in each gear to get me up to speed.

Gives everything a blow out too.

Phil

I forgot to say. Its not standard ;) lol

I never rag it from cold. Always nurse it till temp guage has been upto temp for few mins. But once its upto temp it always has a good clear out

The limiter/redline is the maximum SAFE revs for the engine. It's pretty conservative usually. Many remaps raise the rev limit as a way of extending the power band.

There is more reason to feel guilty by not revving it than for revving it. By not revving it you'll almost certainly gunk up the engine and it will not perform optimally when you want it to. The engine needs to be run to be at it's best.

Yes you're right. Not revving it can cause more damage even on a modified car... or rather especially on a modified car.

If you don't rev it and change too early you end up putting more strain on the gearbox, clutch and flywheel and produce more soot.

Phil

If I'm at a steady speed for a while at realtively low revs (as is the case on motorways), I always notice a plume of black smoke when I put my foot down afterwards, I'm guessing this is the stuff that will just continually build up if you don't thrash it occasionally.

I usually give my Furbie a good revving when the temps are up, especially in third gear, cause I just love the engine sound so much (I don't know why but my 1,4 OHV sounds good for me) when it's keeping around 3200 rpm.

Also, I've found that by keeping the revs a bit more raised the car performs better and actually the consumption is a bit better than in the lower rpms.

• Like 1

If I'm at a steady speed for a while at realtively low revs (as is the case on motorways), I always notice a plume of black smoke when I put my foot down afterwards, I'm guessing this is the stuff that will just continually build up if you don't thrash it occasionally.

Yup.

I notice the same from this car and also the same on the previous Cordoba PD130.

The worst I ever had was a traffic jam on the motorway. Stop-start for over an hour.

Then of course once the traffic cleared I floored it. There was a load of smoke out the back even with my normal exhausts pointing down at the floor.

Phil

It can also be because the car adapts to your driving style so the more gentle you are, the first time you thrash it it will get a little confused - then it gets used to it :D

I've just been out logging boost - 5 runs from 1500 revs to redilne.  I drove her gently home afterwards :D

I always give mine a bit of a boot around when I go out, turbo diesels don't like being driven conservatively :) 

To get to my local tesco, it's only 5-10 minutes in the car, but I can either go through town at 30/40mph limits, or on the A55 dual carriageway at NSL. I usually go through town there to warm it up, and then give it a thrash down the A55 on the way back to keep it all cleared out :)

I always give mine a bit of a boot around when I go out, turbo diesels don't like being driven conservatively :)

To get to my local tesco, it's only 5-10 minutes in the car, but I can either go through town at 30/40mph limits, or on the A55 dual carriageway at NSL. I usually go through town there to warm it up, and then give it a thrash down the A55 on the way back to keep it all cleared out :)

where bouts you located mate. Sure ive seen you about few times. Plenty more spicey roads than the 55 near you ;)