Polo GTI some details

vrskeith

6 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Screw in towing hitch??

Doesn't it say in the manual?

Thanks Keith - I should have checked the manual. 

I was actually looking for the locking wheel nut when I decided to pull that out (locking wheel nut is under the spare wheel).

4 minutes ago, Brian69 said:

Thanks Keith - I should have checked the manual. 

I was actually looking for the locking wheel nut when I decided to pull that out (locking wheel nut is under the spare wheel).

Brain see my comment on last page, ref spare etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Screw in towing hitch??

Doesn't it say in the manual?

Trust you have a spacesaver spare over the top of the battery back there Brian. With the appropriate tool kit, as not every manufacturer supplies that these day. At least VW get that right.

Aye, got a 15" (?) spacesaver - you're right - it's definitely a big plus - wouldn't want to get a blow out in the middle of nowhere with only a tube of useless goo in the boot. 

The battery fair eats into the boot space - although it makes it an ideal size for the dog...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vrskeith said:

My missus has the attached package in her DSG,and is well worth the extra few quid.

Agreed Keith, rather contributes to the cars Jekyll and Hyde character IMHO.  In Normal the cars ride is firm but very compliant, the steering weight and throttle response ideal for normal driving.  Its still a hoot to hammer around in normal.  But in Sport it just adds a dimension to the drive...the throttle mapping is aggressive and well judged.....its a personal thing of course but I actually also like the extra noise thats piped into the cabin from the soundaktor too.  It sounds nice from the outside but without it you dont hear too much on the inside.  The ride in sport is too firm for day to day driving though.  Id wager a non Sport pack car strikes a great balance between the two settings and the loss of noise and sharper throttle arent the be all and end all but nice to have.

My one was a used purchase so I benefited from alot of additional spec I probably wouldnt have added if Id bought new but having had it the Sport pack would be something Id want to have again.

How do you find the DSG in yours?  

48 minutes ago, pipsypreturnsagain said:

Agreed Keith, rather contributes to the cars Jekyll and Hyde character IMHO.  In Normal the cars ride is firm but very compliant, the steering weight and throttle response ideal for normal driving.  Its still a hoot to hammer around in normal.  But in Sport it just adds a dimension to the drive...the throttle mapping is aggressive and well judged.....its a personal thing of course but I actually also like the extra noise thats piped into the cabin from the soundaktor too.  It sounds nice from the outside but without it you dont hear too much on the inside.  The ride in sport is too firm for day to day driving though.  Id wager a non Sport pack car strikes a great balance between the two settings and the loss of noise and sharper throttle arent the be all and end all but nice to have.

My one was a used purchase so I benefited from alot of additional spec I probably wouldnt have added if Id bought new but having had it the Sport pack would be something Id want to have again.

How do you find the DSG in yours?  

The Polo GTI is my better half's car  which we both imputed into the spec ,for her high mileage commute ,in urban,motorway and country route daily. We both had experience of 3 Fabia vRS's so we are well versed with DSG and it sometimes hiccup's in operation. We both switch off stop/start operation,as this brings out the hesitant operation at Give way semi-blind get away. Also the reluctance to change up earlier on get aways and excess reving therein. Down hill change downs not to our liking. Other than the known it is still a very good box for 90% of the driving experience. I have said in numerous threads , that my preference is a manual box.

The Polo GTI still gives me a fun drive as did my Fabia vRS, and now has the benefits of a very good 1.8 power unit and is also.avery high quality fit and finish car,2nd to none in this size of hot hatch. As well as very good ride and handling characteristics. Her average mpg after 11500 miles is 39.9 and she knows she has a heavy right foot. Agree with you ,the sound enhancement goes well with the extra uumph when Sport mode is selected. Great little drivers car Imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vrskeith said:

The Polo GTI is my better half's car  which we both imputed into the spec ,for her high mileage commute ,in urban,motorway and country route daily. We both had experience of 3 Fabia vRS's so we are well versed with DSG and it sometimes hiccup's in operation. We both switch off stop/start operation,as this brings out the hesitant operation at Give way semi-blind get away. Also the reluctance to change up earlier on get aways and excess reving therein. Down hill change downs not to our liking. Other than the known it is still a very good box for 90% of the driving experience. I have said in numerous threads , that my preference is a manual box.

The Polo GTI still gives me a fun drive as did my Fabia vRS, and now has the benefits of a very good 1.8 power unit and is also.avery high quality fit and finish car,2nd to none in this size of hot hatch. As well as very good ride and handling characteristics. Her average mpg after 11500 miles is 39.9 and she knows she has a heavy right foot. Agree with you ,the sound enhancement goes well with the extra uumph when Sport mode is selected. Great little drivers car Imo.

I like DSG too....I had a Fabia vRS estate a few years ago too and really loved the gearbox and drivechain.....mine was CAVE engined and bar a minor misfire issue which was resolved with an ECU update it was no bother....didnt even use much oil (maybe a litre every 4.5k miles which I gather was good for a CAVE twincharger).  I drove it pretty hard from the moment we got it though (though only when warm) so I think my running in approach (or lack of) may have contributed.

Only issues I had with it were that for its relative performance I didnt think it handled that great and the brakes werent particularly adequate...I found they faded after a few harder stops even on the road.  Felt like a semi sporty normal Fabia with lots of motor up front and not like a sorted hot hatch but thats just opinion.  Nothing some springs, an ARB and 312mm front disc conversion wouldnt have sorted but I dont tend to modify my cars.  Really good otherwise, particularly its standard spec which in some respects betters the current GTI (notably the inclusion of curtain airbags and a passenger airbag switch).

Thats one area Im not so keen on with the new GTI.....the base spec should be better and VAG UK have been a bit tight fisted.  If I were buying one new (and I really am not one to go adding options to a car) absolute must-haves would have been convenience pack, cruise and park, app connect, curtain bags and passenger deactivation switch but I think really these things should be standard equipment on the GTI.  Probably wouldnt have killed them to include the sport pack too given thats standard spec on the Ibiza Cupra.  Despite my cars strong optional spec it doesnt have curtain bags or a passenger deactivation switch and that is slightly disappointing given it was easily a 22k car new.

I do like the manual....I do alot of long distance driving so arguably a DSG would have suited me better but the extra torque and inordinately long gearing in the manual do make it v relaxing to drive and its not a car than requires lots of cog swapping.

Whilst its arguably not quite as clever or "characterful" as the twincharger unit, the EA888 1.8 is a better motor I think, whilst its not leaps and bounds faster I am sure it feels a damn sight stronger in-gear and has no flat spots in its delivery like the CAVE did...only tapers off a reasonable bit past 6k rpm.  I think VAG were rather forced to drop the twincharger ongoing but given how impressive the 1.8 is, its actually no bad thing.

Your MPG is better than mine.....Im getting maybe 36/37 on a mixed run but its perfectly acceptable...my car has done near 31k miles now too so well run in.

Is a cracking little car though....its not the most hardcore hatch out there but as an all round package, particularly where quality and grown up feel are concerned it cant be beaten.  The Ibiza Cupra "might" be the slightly better hot hatch from a drivers perspective but Im not sold on the looks and the interior still feels desperately cheap compared to the Polo...when you spend alot of time in a car this sort of thing matters.

Edited by pipsypreturnsagain
  • Like 2

I'm glad it's not just my imagination - the 1.8T does seem to pull much stronger in gear - as much as I'm a twin-charger fan the EA888 is a heavier proposition - just a pity it isn't available in the MKIII Fabia...

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 19:21, Brian69 said:

I'm glad it's not just my imagination - the 1.8T does seem to pull much stronger in gear - as much as I'm a twin-charger fan the EA888 is a heavier proposition - just a pity it isn't available in the MKIII Fabia...

Brian,

So it's nearly a month of White GTI ownership,how has your experience been to date. Are you putting on the mileage now and having Polo GTI sort of fun . Anything you plan to do with it?

I've clocked up 400 miles in three weeks, so still a long way to until the engine loosens up. 

At this stage not a lot I can add to the comments I've already made, other than that I remain very pleased with my purchase. An S1 would've given an extra level of performance, but I would rarely have exploited it to justify the premium. 

Took the revs up to 4,000 this morning - will wait until the mileage hits fours figures before I go beyond that. 

I have a few trips on some good roads planned :) .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Was that fully detailed Brian, or just bucket and sponge lol. Great white look.

Just a local car wash - they got a bit of bad press recently as they employed someone on a day's trial and didn't pay him (although I believe this happens across a lot of sectors these days), so I was going to go elsewhere; however, the convenience factor won. I live in a flat, so washing it myself isn't an option (there is a tap at my lock-up garage but no water comes out when you turn it on!).

Edited by Brian69

1 hour ago, Brian69 said:

Just a local car wash - they got a bit of bad press recently as they employed someone on a day's trial and didn't pay him (although I believe this happens across a lot of sectors these days), so I was going to go elsewhere; however, the convenience factor won. I live in a flat, so washing it myself isn't an option (there is a tap at my lock-up garage but no water comes out when you turn it on!).

Well mate you twisted my arm or my missus did as her Met Black GTI was plastered, luckily we invested in a power wash as a joint Christmas present. Bloody good investment, saves breaking this old farts back. God the jet spray in a godsend on the alloys ,side skirts and wheel arches.

Job done ,sorry no photos to put up, as light is now dull, but the motor is sparkling. My two motors will have to wait until next weekend .

Thanks for the motivation. Have a good week.

Keith

• Like 1

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 16:00, Brian69 said:

I've clocked up 400 miles in three weeks, so still a long way to until the engine loosens up. 

At this stage not a lot I can add to the comments I've already made, other than that I remain very pleased with my purchase. An S1 would've given an extra level of performance, but I would rarely have exploited it to justify the premium. 

Took the revs up to 4,000 this morning - will wait until the mileage hits fours figures before I go beyond that. 

I have a few trips on some good roads planned :) .

All I can say Brian, when the time is right, find a quiet road, switch it to ESC Sport and flog it to the cutout in 1st and 2nd.....you'll be impressed.  Its v raw with ESC Sport enabled.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Didescharlie said:

Weird how the first 17 plate car I see on the road was a white GTI Polo same spec as mine. Driven by one happy looking young chap!

WOW, not a Fiesta ST! Guess the Ford boys are waiting for the 2018 3 pot to arrive. Probably there will be a few reduced ones coming or will the 4 pot be a collectors mountune piece.

Edited by vrskeith

Slightly surprised at the number of 6C GTIs I have seen - certainly in comparison to the 6R GTI - while it's still no best seller having the manual option unsurprisingly seems to have made a difference - I love DSG but accept you're excluding a large part of the potential market (especially for a warm / hot hatch) when there isn't a choice. New Polo is due out at the end of the year, so the 6C production run will be fairly short, ensuring it will be a relative rarity on the roads (something I always like :) ).

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 08:24, vrskeith said:

WOW, not a Fiesta ST! Guess the Ford boys are waiting for the 2018 3 pot to arrive. Probably there will be a few reduced ones coming or will the 4 pot be a collectors mountune piece.

Still always glad I didn't join the ST bandwagon. Nothing against the fantastic piece of kit it undoubtedly is but baaaa! I have a 17 mile commute and I see 20+ every day, and not just all the same ones.