Not particularly successful Yeti defrost technique

Gyp

Getting bored of scraping the windscreen on both mine and the missus car, I bought a couple of microwaveable wheat bags with the intent of popping them on the dashboard 1/2 hour or so before i wanted to drive off.

2014-12-29%2009.57.30.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CA2WBN0

Seemed like a good idea.

However after zapping both of them (3 minutes per bag as per the instructions) and popping them on the Yeti dash this morning, I'm no longer convinced.

2014-12-29%2009.54.03.jpg

2014-12-29%2009.54.25.jpg

That's after 1/2 hour in the car

I got a bottle of pr-ice [think that's what its called] from local car shop, spray on night before and if it don't rain the frost wont be a problem,it works for me.

If only I was good at thinking ahead

If you are parked near enough, run an extension lead from the house and use a hairdryer. It is a fast, clean and cheap way to clear ice.

Unfortunately, the car can't be parked near the house, mainly due to a skip that's in the way.

Once that's gone, I'd only manage to get one car near the house anyway.

Still, as long as it's my car :-)

Heated windscreen#1 Brilliantly effective. for daughters Fiat 500 I use a watering can of just cooler thanwarm water-don't risk too much thermal shock but it does the trick when done just before she sets off.

• Like 1

One of the first extras I added to the wifes Yeti was the heated screen. As I am retired and she still works I get the job of ice clearing!! Much easier now.

I also find that clean windows deice more easily!!

interesting experiment - but £30!!!

I was thinking about getting something like this ceramic heater and leaving it plugged in all night, but wasn't sure if it would get too hot or whether it would drain the battery.

Any thoughts as I don't know how to calculate the current drawn and put that up against the battery spec!

• Like 1

interesting experiment - but £30!!!

I was thinking about getting something like this ceramic heater and leaving it plugged in all night, but wasn't sure if it would get too hot or whether it would drain the battery.

£15 each, one per car :-(

The reason I thought I'd try them is because the reviews of the ceramic ones on Amazon are universally poor

Any thoughts as I don't know how to calculate the current drawn and put that up against the battery spec!

Not a good idea!

The suggested heater draws 150 Watts which is equal to 12.5 Amps (150W / 12v), whereas your battery has a capacity potentially up to say some 77 Ampere-hours; thus your current drawdown will flatten the battery in around 6/7 hours.

:rock:  

• Like 1

I have some ice spray stuff at home, clears all the windows in 5 minutes (I have the engine running to warm the car up at the same time) then just use the windscreen wipers to wash the water left behind away, no need for scraping or anything like that

Not a good idea!

The suggested heater draws 150 Watts which is equal to 12.5 Amps (150W / 12v), whereas your battery has a capacity potentially up to say some 77 Ampere-hours; thus your current drawdown will flatten the battery in around 6/7 hours.

:rock:

Would likely render the battery incapable of starting the car after just a couple of hours

• Like 1

Scrape it off!

Damn Yeti, took me 20 minutes to scrape ice off the inside and outside of the windscreen!

Ford Focus 1.8 TDi heated front screen, safe viewing front screen in seconds

The cold water trick works well and then immediately squeegee dry. 

I've seen nurses at the local hospital do this, they keep a flask of water in the car while on shift. :clap:

Thanks for the calculations on the ceramic heater; looks like a sheet over the screen will be the best option this winter.

Unless anyone knows an environmentally friendly de-icer spray...

It beats me why people who have garages don't use them Some people on our road don't even bother to put their £20k plus car on the drive..... just leave it on the road or more annoying block the pavement and two wheels on the road ,

• Like 1