Forum Support

ChrisRs

The digital Freedom is a good idea, I've only had one sticker and never asked for more each year , but still happy to pay the £12 . Its cost me a lot more in money terms, ( modding) but also benefitted me more for the friends I've made than just  sharing/obtaining knowledge   :)

• Like 1

Pay £70 at the dealer for a diagnostic check?

Noooo

Just come on Briskoda to get some free advice

Read the car manual to see how to change a bulb?

Noooooo, be lazy and come on Briskoda and get some free advice

There's a bit of a theme going on here

• Like 2

The name of that theme is inclusiveness - NOT exclusiveness!

I'm not basing the comment on excluding anyone, and i'm not wishing to pressurise anyone into paying a membership fee

I'm merely pointing out the potential costs or problems which might be waiting around the corner if, heaven forbid, Briskoda didn't exist

No hidden agenda, just statement of fact

• Administrators

I'm merely pointing out the potential costs or problems which might be waiting around the corner if, heaven forbid, Briskoda didn't exist

It will exist... throw the switch!

But you may have something there for other challenges we face :D It would be odd to be contacted by a dealer for example to have content removed about them, despite being glowing. One of many phenomenons.

Briskoda is the only forum I use now (apart from copenworld) and its because for me its not just about Skodas. Its a place to come and chat about the latest VW or a Vectra or of course Skoda. But it's more than that, there is a wealth of knowledge about everything from cars to bathrooms to bits of legal stuff. I love it and I call most people on briskoda "friends" even though we've never met. I have some great help over the years and I did join freedom but I have let it lapse. I keep meaning to renew but every time I think about it something comes up that I have to divert the funds to. Its only £12 but sometimes £12 all in 1 go is impossible for me. Then I do crazy things and buy cars without telling the Mrs and then it has turbo failure...for example.

I have no issue with £12 for everything I can access on Briskoda. As previously said..£12 for freedom and you resolve the problem or £80+ for the dealer to tell you "they all do that sir."

This is not meant to be a controversial topic or a dig at anyone at all….Far from it

I was browsing, as you do, and was taken aback by the amount of signed up members who had not bought a subscription (Freedom).

If one looks at the base of the Forum page, the list shows who is online and colours indicate their level of membership

OK, some people come and go, or go and come back months later………

But, equally, there are members who have made hundreds and even thousands of posts and still hold a basic membership

Should these members put something back if they have thousands of posts…Maybe the controversial bit…LOL

So what? I hear you say.

Well…This Forum and many others on the internet cost money to run, they are often run by part time guys who give up their valuable time to provide us with a valuable resource and communication tool with other likeminded, interested people, and also to promote their business related to the Forum (Sponsorship)

So..Please discuss..How can the basic members support the site more?

Should they?

Does it not matter?...Is there any point mentioning it?

“Chris. You’re talking Bo*****s again!! “ LOL

Should the areas for Freedom Members be enlarged, so basic members get less viewing?

Please discuss…amicably

@Colin ….Apologies if this has been mentioned before..

Just a thought I was having, and trying to help

(Feel free to delete or move if I’m out of order)

And if someone has made literally hundreds of posts in replies to others' technical queries every year, has had Freedom and found that the only "benefit" it offered them was the ability to reply to queries in the Freedom subsection and let it lapse as a result, do they still qualify as "second class" in your eyes?

• Like 1

And if someone has made literally hundreds of posts in replies to others' technical queries every year, has had Freedom and found that the only "benefit" it offered them was the ability to reply to queries in the Freedom subsection and let it lapse as a result, do they still qualify as "second class" in your eyes?

I dont really use any benefits freedom gives

But i dont mind purchasing it and making a donation ahead of that, just in hope it helps Colin along abit. Gotta respect the bloke for what hes doing/done.

The first and second class thing doesnt really exist, does it. Everybodys treated the same (:

• Like 1

I dont really use any benefits freedom gives

But i dont mind purchasing it and making a donation ahead of that, just in hope it helps Colin along abit. Gotta respect the bloke for what hes doing/done.

The first and second class thing doesnt really exist, does it. Everybodys treated the same (:

Exactly the point

As I said earlier, probably 95% of internet users think websites like this run on thin air

• Like 1

Totally agree with Ken.   There are the same small group of names which will likely chip in with an answer.  Several of them are, like me, non joiners. 

As so many mention how valuable the advice on here is, how much value do people like me or Ken add? 

I have zero interests in stickers or meets. 

Totally agree with Ken. There are the same small group of names which will likely chip in with an answer. Several of them are, like me, non joiners.

As so many mention how valuable the advice on here is, how much value do people like me or Ken add?

But the point is that the forum costs money to run, and a hell of a lot of Colin's time, unpaid.

We all enjoy the forum, thats why many have many thousands on the post count.

Most of us wont miss a tenner or so, but if everybody donated a tenner itd amount to a massive help

• Administrators

Nick, Ken, in case you missed it, I was stating there was a lot of value. 1, 10, 100, 1000 Great posts is worth more than freedom alone if those 10 posts help people. 

Knowledge is the greatest of all human assets. Sharing it then is perhaps invaluable!

You should not feel you can't or indeed lesser as that is so far from my belief. One of the pending changes is to reward content. The exact mechanics are hard to make them work reliably. In short though Guests become new members, who in turn become members, with enough of the right stuff being shared you'll get a freedom, 'lite' it's a recognition you're supporting the site through sharing. I'm still wrestling with how to present/describe it thats not upsetting. So please pardon this rough cut version.

It's my view that if donating, writing, volunteering, anything to better the community you should be recognised for it. Your direct peers will know, but others won't. I think that will help greatly in understanding the value everyone adds.

Does that make sense?

Ok then Colin, why don't you lock don't the thread?  It got off on the wrong foot and the idea was poorly presented.  If you want to make changes well fine, its your forum and your dime. 

If you want members opinions, just ask.  Don't do this sideways stuff.

Some on here write as if the rest of us are too stupid to work out it costs to run this site.  It also cost me and the others who contribute 100's of replies to technical questions.  I spent years acquiring such knowledge as I have, or researching again on the internet because someone can't be bothered to do it themselves, as well as the time taken to understand the not always clear questions and type in an reply.

I do this voluntarily, for nothing.  I don't want anything for it - knowledge is the only thing you can give away and still have. 

• Administrators

Nick,

I didn't start the topic, or prompt anyone to do so. Just one of those weird cosmic events where I've been actively discussing it with loved ones and close friends as this topic has formed. So I'm not sideloading any conversations. I've not made it clear that I had some changes in mind already, I've been wrestling with some since '13, some before that.

Hope that helps. 

Nick, Ken, in case you missed it, I was stating there was a lot of value. 1, 10, 100, 1000 Great posts is worth more than freedom alone if those 10 posts help people. 

Knowledge is the greatest of all human assets. Sharing it then is perhaps invaluable!

You should not feel you can't or indeed lesser as that is so far from my belief. One of the pending changes is to reward content. The exact mechanics are hard to make them work reliably. In short though Guests become new members, who in turn become members, with enough of the right stuff being shared you'll get a freedom, 'lite' it's a recognition you're supporting the site through sharing. I'm still wrestling with how to present/describe it thats not upsetting. So please pardon this rough cut version.

It's my view that if donating, writing, volunteering, anything to better the community you should be recognised for it. Your direct peers will know, but others won't. I think that will help greatly in understanding the value everyone adds.

Does that make sense?

My comment was a direct reply to the OP; you, Colin, of all people should not take it personally or negatively. OK?

• Administrators

Totally didn't Ken :D  I was highlighting... and restating my views which on sharing of information, have not changed since October 2002.

Going back in my box for a bit, got a server to break  :D

BTW, I experimented on your profile to show the alumni bit off... if you don't like it let me know ;)

Totally agree with Ken.   There are the same small group of names which will likely chip in with an answer.  Several of them are, like me, non joiners. 

I have very little interest in Meets, other than perhaps off-road for Yetis, and aren't bothered with the sticker, BUT I will give advice freely and I will join Freedom because this Forum has to be paid for in some way and I don't see why Colin and his business should pay for it all.

Therefore I joined Freedom.

• Like 1

Totally didn't Ken :D  I was highlighting... and restating my views which on sharing of information, have not changed since October 2002.

Going back in my box for a bit, got a server to break  :D

BTW, I experimented on your profile to show the alumni bit off... if you don't like it let me know ;)

It's all good, although I'm maybe not the best user-tester since I rarely go there.

I have very little interest in Meets, other than perhaps off-road for Yetis, and aren't bothered with the sticker, BUT I will give advice freely and I will join Freedom because this Forum has to be paid for in some way and I don't see why Colin and his business should pay for it all.

Therefore I joined Freedom.

Exactly. Same here.

Its only £12 a year. If everybody did it Itd go a long way.

A lot of us contribute info, its how the forum works.

But i dont want to say too much because i dont want to upset folk aha.

• Like 1

I suggest that you ready this thread properly. If you did, you would find nowhere in it where I said anyone is second class or inferred it. Everyone is equal...everyone

The essence of the thread was to highlight what has been said by Colin

I believe that that has been achieved and successful

Thank you Colin for all your posts

• Like 2

The original post could come across as saying anyone with a high post count should pay for membership though.

But at no time did it infer any kind of class boundary which has subsequently been misinterpreted and misquoted

• Like 1