Is SIII the best looking hatch in its segment?

Now that we've seen our new flagship baby, here is a new topic to discuss about its exterior design without compromised interior dimensions such as head room, leg room and of course boot space (best in class)...

Right, is SIII hatch better looking than Mondeo hatch, Insignia hatch, A5 sportback, 4 series gran coupe etc? Please remember, let's focus on these hatchbacks in terms of their practicality, spacious interior with an elegant exterior design. I know A5 sportback & 4 series gran coupe belong to different segments but I've included them only because of their practicality nature........

So, who wins here?? Please feel free to include relevant hatchbacks....only current generation cars please.....thanks...

To my eyes.........SIII is a big winner here....2nd place goes to 4 series gran coupe.............

What do you guys think??

I think it's hard to beat the Superb when you combine practicality, space and looks. You can get the looks in the Beemer or Audi but practicality may be compromised. Rear seat space on the Insignia is much less although it's looks are good. I think the Mondeo comes close with that Aston lookalike front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I only consider looks, my ranking would be BMW series 4, A5 and Superb.

But if I also consider practicalicity and space, there's no choice for any other car. The ranking would be Superb, Superb, and Superb.

Practical the Superb always beats everything,

Looks, well this one looks very class and elegant, comparing it to the Insignia is a bit unfair though, Insignia is now as old as the MK2 Superb anyway even in it's FL model which didn't change much anyway, personally I couldn't split them, the Insignia is still a good looking car imo but so is this upcoming Superb as well,

Buying new, the Superb without a doubt, although Insignia values aren't diving as hard as the Vectra ones did but the Superb will still be worth more like for like after 3 years,

Nice to have a selection again for me tbh.

I think the new one is not as good looking as the original.  They have done a family nose and a family rear so it is just a Rapide made bigger.  Same styling ideas as Audi where you cannot tell whether it is an Octavia, a Superb or a Rapide at first glance.

It is nice enough from the front but the rear is far too Octavia for my money anyway.

The Audi A5 Sportback is far better looking as a fastback but I doubt it is even close for practicality.

I await the estate with hope.

The BMW 4 series Gran Coupe is such a nice looking car, but doesn't quite have the rear space that I am looking for. Although I can in theory have any company provided car that I want, I think I will stick with my current Superb for now that I paid for with my own hard earned despite having my head turned by the siren calls from prettier cars.    I will definitely test drive the new Superb though and possibly the new Passat but I would struggle with a hatch.

Good to see the comments.

Guys...we are looking for all in one package...space/practicality with an elegant exterior. It's never easy to get all these criteria right in one car.

In fact, SIII's Row 2 headroom is 16mm better than new Passat. It is also better than 5 series, A6 and even box looking E class....matches A8 which is a formal/business 3 box saloon. This is quite impressive and it clearly shows the lessons learned from SII in terms of Row 2 headroom....well done, Skoda  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I will definitely test drive the new Superb though and possibly the new Passat but I would struggle with a hatch.

Why's that?

Hatch is much more practical than a saloon and you can spec the electric tailgate with "virtual pedal" if opening/closing is a problem.

Now that we've seen our new flagship baby, here is a new topic to discuss about its exterior design without compromised interior dimensions such as head room, leg room and of course boot space (best in class)...

Right, is SIII hatch better looking than Mondeo hatch, Insignia hatch, A5 sportback, 4 series gran coupe etc? Please remember, let's focus on these hatchbacks in terms of their practicality, spacious interior with an elegant exterior design. I know A5 sportback & 4 series gran coupe belong to different segments but I've included them only because of their practicality nature........

So, who wins here?? Please feel free to include relevant hatchbacks....only current generation cars please.....thanks...

To my eyes.........SIII is a big winner here....2nd place goes to 4 series gran coupe.............

What do you guys think??

Well as I believe it is still a current model (just)- Then the Superb 2. Mk3 may be slightly more practical inside, but the looks mean the Mk2 wins.

However, you have muddied the waters a little. You say just hatchbacks, of a large family nature, but then allow estate versions of things like A4s and 4 Series into the mix.

So, on that note, im throwing another one in. Larger than the A4 and 4 series, but then the Superb is also larger.

The Jaguar XF Sportbrake.

I think that's what a tennis umpire would call- 'Game, set and match'

Well as I believe it is still a current model (just)- Then the Superb 2. Mk3 may be slightly more practical inside, but the looks mean the Mk2 wins.

However, you have muddied the waters a little. You say just hatchbacks, of a large family nature, but then allow estate versions of things like A4s and 4 Series into the mix.

So, on that note, im throwing another one in. Larger than the A4 and 4 series, but then the Superb is also larger.

The Jaguar XF Sportbrake.

I think that's what a tennis umpire would call- 'Game, set and match'

I meant A5 sportback and 4 series gran coupe...both are hatchbacks although different segments. We haven't seen SIII estate yet, so let's not talk about it till we see one.

But please feel free to add other hatchbacks in this segment.

Are you saying SII is better than SIII in terms all in one package (interior roominess & exterior design)? That's interesting...

I meant A5 sportback and 4 series gran coupe...both are hatchbacks although different segments. We haven't seen SIII estate yet, so let's not talk about it till we see one.

But please feel free to add other hatchbacks in this segment.

Are you saying SII is better than SIII in terms all in one package (interior roominess & exterior design)? That's interesting...

Not mentioned the Superb 3 estate!

Obviously none of us have been inside a Superb 3 yet, so its difficult to say what it feels like in real life, but so far, I prefer the looks of the Superb 2, and that more than makes up for slightly less headroom in the rear.

The Superb looks like a classier car than the Mondeo or Insignia IMO.

The 4 series is not too bad for a BMW, the long bonnets do not look so out of proportion on the larger beemers.

I've always had a soft spot for the A5 but not sure it's really a Superb competitor? It must be a fair bit smaller inside and in the boot..

Is the Passat a hatch or still a saloon?

The Superb looks like a classier car than the Mondeo or Insignia IMO.

The 4 series is not too bad for a BMW, the long bonnets do not look so out of proportion on the larger beemers.

I've always had a soft spot for the A5 but not sure it's really a Superb competitor? It must be a fair bit smaller inside and in the boot..

Is the Passat a hatch or still a saloon?

Oh the Superb every time over the Mondeo or Insignia. The Superb has always looked a classier car. Both the Mk2 and Mk3.

Wouldn't touch a Beamer or Audi. If I was looking at a Beamer or Audi of any sort, then the Jags always come out on top :clap:  :clap:

Superb also looks much nicer than Beamer or Audi. Audi's have bland shapeless bonnets, and Beamers, well, they are all typical Beamers.

Oh the Superb every time over the Mondeo or Insignia. The Superb has always looked a classier car. Both the Mk2 and Mk3.

Wouldn't touch a Beamer or Audi. If I was looking at a Beamer or Audi of any sort, then the Jags always come out on top :clap:  :clap:

Superb also looks much nicer than Beamer or Audi. Audi's have bland shapeless bonnets, and Beamers, well, they are all typical Beamers.

We've got Insignia and Superb in the family plus I had the B5.5 derived Superb as well,

The B5.5 I replaced with a B6 Passat and wish I never had, even on the way to px it I got 100 miles into a 230 mile trip and nearly turned around and I still feel that way about it now as I went from 4* hotel to 2* hotel imo,

The current Superb is a nice car in it's own right, to compare it with the Insignia is a bit difficult tbh, when inside either they both feel totally different, the Insignia is elevated and cosseting where the Superb is low down and fitted out too small inside for the size of the car, like a warehouse with 4 boxes in the corner in a way, seats needed to be bigger, taller and the dash more involving,

Move on to the next Superb, well from what I've seen so far it's candidate for the next car for me, I like everything about it, it's got the same image appeal the B5.5 one had, a tall blokes car if you like, I'll be due to change in 15 mths so hopefully I can snag a 9 mth old one in budget although I've a feeling they will hold the money really well so it might have to be a new one on a discount.

We've got Insignia and Superb in the family plus I had the B5.5 derived Superb as well,

The B5.5 I replaced with a B6 Passat and wish I never had, even on the way to px it I got 100 miles into a 230 mile trip and nearly turned around and I still feel that way about it now as I went from 4* hotel to 2* hotel imo,

The current Superb is a nice car in it's own right, to compare it with the Insignia is a bit difficult tbh, when inside either they both feel totally different, the Insignia is elevated and cosseting where the Superb is low down and fitted out too small inside for the size of the car, like a warehouse with 4 boxes in the corner in a way, seats needed to be bigger, taller and the dash more involving,

Move on to the next Superb, well from what I've seen so far it's candidate for the next car for me, I like everything about it, it's got the same image appeal the B5.5 one had, a tall blokes car if you like, I'll be due to change in 15 mths so hopefully I can snag a 9 mth old one in budget although I've a feeling they will hold the money really well so it might have to be a new one on a discount.

Well admittedly im just going by the looks. Don't know what the Insignia is like to drive etc.

The Astras I used to get as hire cars years back have permanently put me off of Vauxhalls.

Move on to the next Superb, well from what I've seen so far it's candidate for the next car for me, I like everything about it, it's got the same image appeal the B5.5 one had, a tall blokes car if you like, I'll be due to change in 15 mths so hopefully I can snag a 9 mth old one in budget although I've a feeling they will hold the money really well so it might have to be a new oner on a discount.

Yes, both are very different cars.

Skoda's...specifically Superb's are all high driving position, easy to get in and out of the car (ground to seat is high in this segment), lower beltline/more glass depth which improves perception of space, ergonomically well laid out interior, high Row 2 seats compared to Row 1 which improves forward visibility for rear passengers (hence limited headroom), best in class rear leg room / boot space

Insignia on the other hand....less spacious (although on the outside it is wider than SII but length the same), driving position is bit low, higher beltline / limited visibility, may be good to drive (I've never driven one!), good exterior design (saloon especially), ergonomics not very good (interior layout, switches, interfaces etc).............

No disrespect to Insignia but they may belong to same segment but completely different brands who tend to target different set of customers. 

@ James,

The Insignia is way above the old Astra's in every way tbh, of the old VX's the Omega was the one to have a really nice car and the Insignia gives a similar experience where the Astra and Vectra's of old used to feel a bit cheap if I'm honest,

@ Joe,

It's the other way around for me, I find the VAG cars low to the ground and the Insignia a higher up driving position, mind you I am tall so the seat has to go down so maybe that is having an effect, having said that now you mention the belt line when I sit in mums Superb the actual interior on the whole does feel lower down so would produce that sitting higher up feeling.

@ James,

The Insignia is way above the old Astra's in every way tbh, of the old VX's the Omega was the one to have a really nice car and the Insignia gives a similar experience where the Astra and Vectra's of old used to feel a bit cheap if I'm honest,

@ Joe,

It's the other way around for me, I find the VAG cars low to the ground and the Insignia a higher up driving position, mind you I am tall so the seat has to go down so maybe that is having an effect, having said that now you mention the belt line when I sit in mums Superb the actual interior on the whole does feel lower down so would produce that sitting higher up feeling.

IMO of all the VAG cars I think the B5/B5.5 Passats seem to have one of the lowest driving positions which I really don't like (not being the tallest person in the world!) and always put me off that model.  The B6 isn't as bad but maybe its just me that notices that!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMO of all the VAG cars I think the B5/B5.5 Passats seem to have one of the lowest driving positions which I really don't like (not being the tallest person in the world!) and always put me off that model.  The B6 isn't as bad but maybe its just me that notices that!

I've nailed this one now, was in mums the other day and although the car itself sits low the dashboard gives the impression you are higher up where the Insignia feels more up overall even though it's dash is huge in comparison to the Superb one