230 Bhp Vrs

Review on pistonheads today which slates the 230 (both estate and hatch) on track. Says it will probably be a decent road car but terrible on track. Interesting given people keep comparing it to Leon Cupra ST which works well on road and track. Would have thought the diff on the octavia would have made it a lot better than a standard vrs. Summary of the report says it's worth the price just for the extra spec and you can't really notice the extra power or grip.

Edited by neil_f

Review on pistonheads today which slates the 230 (both estate and hatch) on track. Says it will probably be a decent road car but terrible on track. Interesting given people keep comparing it to Leon Cupra ST which works well on road and track. Would have thought the diff on the octavia would have made it a lot better than a standard vrs. Summary of the report says it's worth the price just for the extra spec and you can't really notice the extra power or grip.

the diff will have been less aggressively configured on the Skoda compared to the other models that have it. I'd suggest that it's too tame in its action for the track for what I'm reading but I can't believe its not felt compared to a VRS without it, on the road. The Cupra one, in Cupra mode, is perfect for me, you can really feel it working, out of slow tight corners its superb in particular. Personally I wouldn't buy a standard Vrs now, especially as the 230 also appears to get a larger sports exhaust - great for stage 1/2 tuning... But that's probably just me! In fact, I wonder if they are actually running different boost settings to achieve the additional 10ps or whether or not it just comes from installing that slightly bigger oe exhaust setup!

It's a shame the journo's reception to this car has been so flat but skodas biggest mistake imo was launching it at a track in the first place! The ideal launch location for this car would have been some of the Spanish mountain roads they've used with previous models - not as tight and more realistically representing what they'll be used for by the majority of us; fast road use. Quite different to fast track use!

I believe the 230 will make its extra power due to a slightly different map....in the GTI PP I believe the rev limiter is risen by 250rpm to 7k rather than 6750rpm as on the stock car...something like that anyway.

Aside the diff, power increase and exhaust its probably worth getting just for the extra kit.

Spec a regular vRS with Black pack plus, leather, memory seats, nav and park assist it'll be quite a bit dearer I expect.

I expect once the 500 units run out SUK will either decide to keep it as an official model or just offer a performance pack for the standard car.

Does anyone know if you can spec. one of these with additional options (i.e. sunroof, heated rear seats, mirrorlink etc.)?   Many of the brokers appear to be suggesting you can but there is nothing (yet) on the Skoda website.   I am thinking if it is an (allegedly) limited run of 500 units there won't be scope to specify any variation over a standard build.   When it was on the UK configurator a few weeks ago I am sure that you couldn't specify a sunroof nor heated rear seats.   I was about to place an order for a vRS but as the 230 includes many of the options I would otherwise be paying for it makes sense to go for one of these.   I don't want to place an order with a broker to be later told that the additional options that I thought I had ordered can't actually be delivered. 

Anyone with inside knowledge?

Does anyone know if you can spec. one of these with additional options (i.e. sunroof, heated rear seats, mirrorlink etc.)?   Many of the brokers appear to be suggesting you can but there is nothing (yet) on the Skoda website.   I am thinking if it is an (allegedly) limited run of 500 units there won't be scope to specify any variation over a standard build.   When it was on the UK configurator a few weeks ago I am sure that you couldn't specify a sunroof nor heated rear seats.   I was about to place an order for a vRS but as the 230 includes many of the options I would otherwise be paying for it makes sense to go for one of these.   I don't want to place an order with a broker to be later told that the additional options that I thought I had ordered can't actually be delivered. 

Anyone with inside knowledge?

Think I have answered my own query...

For anyone else who is interested:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/skoda-octavia-vrs-230.pdf

• Like 2

Think I have answered my own query...

For anyone else who is interested:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/skoda-octavia-vrs-230.pdf

Thanks for posting that.  Weird thing is, if you go to the brochures page for the octavia it doesn't show up.. and its still not on the configurator either.

Edited by rob_e

No idea! Where?

Not the vRS route now - I was very keen on the vRS and have the option to change to one. The 230 also caught my eye and was also available to me. This was a totally left-field choice as I've always wanted to have a vRS. New Superb has now become available to me to order and I took the opportunity to look at one yesterday. I think the step change from the Mk3 is huge, and certainly a level up from the O3.

SUK feet dragging on the 230 hasn't helped.

• Like 1

Coops - I couldn't agree more, even though I pick up my normal vRS next Friday, I can't help but think I should have hung on for the superb, all reviews suggest it's a superior car. Only thing against it is the size, the Octavia is big enough.

Only Skoda UK could be this "useless" about information to a special edition, though I'm thinking the 230 will possibly become the normal vRS towards the end of the models life.

I'm ever hopeful they made a mistake at the factory and mine is a 230 lol :P

• Like 1

am i the only one that doesn't actually want leather seats? :) 

The 19" wheels and leather seats are what would put me off this, i'm happy with the one that is getting sent for order this week. I'm wanting something a bit more comfier and without the really cold/hot shock that the leather ends up with in extreme weather.

Had leather on my MK2FL and yes I get what you mean, but heated seats help and they look much nicer and easier to clean. 19's are a marmite thing, for me it would not a deal breaker (but I do like them) but the other options would be. Not that it matters as Skoda took too long to confirm anything.

In my legacy the biggest problem was when they were sat in the sun. I've got the heated cloth seat option for the cold days. I quite like the look of the 19" but thats going to make the ride a bit harder and for me this car is going to be a more refined and comfy drive than my impreza.

In my legacy the biggest problem was when they were sat in the sun. I've got the heated cloth seat option for the cold days. I quite like the look of the 19" but thats going to make the ride a bit harder and for me this car is going to be a more refined and comfy drive than my impreza.

Trouble is, as good as the extra spec on the 230 is, the moment you add options on top of it, you are heading to a high price.  I chose to have some other options rather than leather.  If I had got the 230 I would have had to forgo those other options.  Yes, a little gutted, but I only have to get into my VRS and I forget all about it.

Seeing as I am not really hooning about either (given the family will be in the VRS 90% of the time I am drving) I really don't think I will miss the diff.  The extra 10 powers is neither here not there either.

Or at least, that is what I am telling myself!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that. Weird thing is, if you go to the brochures page for the octavia it doesn't show up.. and its still not on the configurator either.

I stumbled on it trying to answer my own question and found it doing a Google search on Octavia vrs 230 options. Need to make my mind up soon whether or not I am going to order. Bit disappointed there are only 4 colours to choose from... Moon White looks favourite at the moment!