VRS Gemini Anthracite wheels, refurb, replace or paint? Chelmsford

Hi had my first curbing, unavoidable, a piece of jagged concrete sticking out from the base of a gate post that wasn't visible. I was driving, always thought my wife would end up curbing them and eventually end up painting them as I don't quite like the Anthracite finish, I have the black design pack and thought all black wheels would look better. So my question is what are my options and what do you think? What have you done to your wheels? I suppose my options to consider are replace the one wheel (is it worth the cost, don't know this but imagine not cheap), find someone that can refurb it (I believe not easy but not impossible as laster etched?), I am in Chelmsford so any local recommendation appreciated, or colour change them all to all black, what black do you think, satin or gloss? I guess gloss is more practical, and I could probably get a sample of the paint for future touch-ups, again local recommendations appreciated in Essex around Chelmsford.

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice/recommnedations.

Edited by joela
  • Like 1

The plot thickens, the car is 6 months old, and just read a few people are having problems with these wheels with laquer flaking off and having wheels replaced, so perhaps I should leave it a while and see if I end up with one of my non curbed wheels getting warrantly replaced? Or even the curbed one flaking where it isnt curbed?

All alloys get kerbed, no matter how careful the owners are. IMO it is best just to ignore the dinks and scrapes. After the first few it won't hurt so much.

I personally do not like black alloys. Another consideration is that any kerbing to black alloys will show up much worse than on graphite or silver rims.

• Like 1

I think the balck looks quite good on the red irish car here, was thinking any future curbing would be easy to repair of even touch up if I could get the wheel compnay to provide a sample of the paint used

• Like 1

All diamond cut/polished/lacquered wheels corrode eventually....moisture/dirt eventually manages to break through the clear coat then you end up getting the dreaded ringworm.

I love diamond cut wheels but they are massively impractical on a daily driver as day to day use (and the amount of salt on our roads in winter) just serves to knacker them.

If youve kerbed them then Skoda will almost certainly refuse a warranty claim for corrosion as they'll point blame at the kerbing.

Id paint them gloss black myself; elsewhere in Europe there is a challenge package as an option...gloss black Geminis being one of the perks.

• Like 1

Someone on here as painted them black.... Telboy?  Search for photos of his car (white, hatch iirc).  Black vs grey vs silver is as personal as the wheel design or car colour. Black will show future scuffs more, but dirt/brake dust less.  Of you want to change the colour id look at powder coating, it's a bit more durable.

As to repairs, it depends how bad the damage is. Small scuffs can be tidied for not much money (say £50), but a proper repair on deep damage needs filling with weld, powder coating, machining and lacquering. That will cost, although probably less then a new one.

I like the anthracite with red btw, that's what I have.  I'll probably live with minor scuffs but if corrosion gets bad I'll consider a solid color powder coat returb, or a set of after market rims. There are some nice ones around for a quarter the cost of the Gemini.

Certainly don't write off repairing them. I've just had my Geminis done by A1 Alloys and I'm impressed by the results. The back two had been kerbed quite a few times - mainly superficial but a couple with damage well into the metal - and now I can't see any difference from the fronts even with the wheels off under lights in the shed. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Hi

I had mine power coated gloss black by a local firm, before I picked the car up from the dealer. Looks way better than the original - on a white estate with black pack and pano roof.

Steve

A bit of a trek but a big :thumbup: for Lepsons in Guildford. We use them for most of our wheel work, the East End drivers love a kerb or 2, and can say their results are fantastic. Pretty sure they'll cover all colour variations as well. Worth a shout.

• 1 year later...

Certainly don't write off repairing them. I've just had my Geminis done by A1 Alloys and I'm impressed by the results. The back two had been kerbed quite a few times - mainly superficial but a couple with damage well into the metal - and now I can't see any difference from the fronts even with the wheels off under lights in the shed. Brilliant!

Hi London Les

What color your wheels are? are they silver or anthracite, just kerbed my front one and I want to get it repaired but there are lot of repairing companies and dont know which ones to choose. How much did it cost?

Thanks 

Edited by imikk3

Agree with posts its personal choice, although I suppose opinions can help steer you is whats asking. I honestly don't think there is much difference between black and anthracite though.

I tend to repair myself on all minor swipes like this, plus save fair bit of money

First thing you MIGHT do having had them properly repaired - do it again magnetically drawn to kerbs lol

I don't stress, just allow time to prepare to do it again. Got the alloy epoxy mix stuff which does a great job of reprofiling any missing alloy, and acid etch primer is a must.

To do a wheel properly if its really gouged, must to get a spare on and have tyre removed. Far better job that way as you can get attention to detail.

I did do a quick touch up on mine after a round 2 attempt to ruin them many weeks ago ( stupid ornate non standard kerbs near churches) and its looking neat enough to keep me happy.

Recently bought £21 delivered for 3 e-tech anthracite cans and lacquer

2 cars ( 3 sets of wheels) have enough there to top them all off (they are all colour just a tidy up), going to wait til the weathers baking to do it though.

All diamond cut/polished/lacquered wheels corrode eventually....moisture/dirt eventually manages to break through the clear coat then you end up getting the dreaded ringworm.

I love diamond cut wheels but they are massively impractical on a daily driver as day to day use (and the amount of salt on our roads in winter) just serves to knacker them.

If youve kerbed them then Skoda will almost certainly refuse a warranty claim for corrosion as they'll point blame at the kerbing.

Id paint them gloss black myself; elsewhere in Europe there is a challenge package as an option...gloss black Geminis being one of the perks.

I think the challenge pack alloys are black but still diamond cut. A bit similar to the 19" Black Extreme alloys on the 230 VRS vs Standard 19" Anthracite Extreme alloys.

Back to the OPs post, my opinion is that black alloys look good with a red car. Also only £50 ish for a standard colour finish vs £100 - £150 for diamond cut finish. Also the Gemini wheels will only take 2 diamond cut repairs.

Good decision. 

I've got Corrida red with black pack and black roof, took the plunge few weeks back to get my wheels powder coated satin black, haven't regretted it [emoji106]0035e963b36d9363bfb217f83d8ed537.jpg47ddc27d995cee071802d6a2c0fd358a.jpg

• Like 1

I've got Corrida red with black pack and black roof, took the plunge few weeks back to get my wheels powder coated satin black, haven't regretted it [emoji106]0035e963b36d9363bfb217f83d8ed537.jpg47ddc27d995cee071802d6a2c0fd358a.jpg

that looks great.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately yes.

After a run in with the AA I spoke to a wheels place I've used before and trust.

Apparently diamond cut wheels are only able to be refurbished a few times as they mill away some of the wheel every time. Speaking with the guy he recommended I only have it done once on the Gemini due to the design. It was also more expensive than a standard repair and could only be done in certain shops with a fairly long lead time at the time (5days).

I ended up getting four brand new wheels from the dealer instead and putting my winters on the kerbs wheels. I plan to sell them in October when I change the car.

• Like 1

I'm having the wife's 19" xtreams stripped and powder coated shadow chrome over the winter period, the finish will be far more durable