Anyone considering another Octavia in time?

Not me, I'm usually one for repeat buying of models but next time around the only Skoda I'll look at is the new Superb. I quite like the spec of the SE L Executive with the TSI 220 DSG. But will also check out the Jag XE and as a complete wildcard the new MX5!

Think you'll be disappointed with the XE, not a patch on the XF, which would be my choice.

• Like 1

I'm on 29k miles in my VRS TSI DSG Hatch, hasn't missed a beat and has proven to be a very good car indeed.

Having over 330bhp now does help in the fun department!!

Would I order another, YES I would,...

I always buy ex demo, saves on some of the depreciation, however to me a car has to be able to deliver in many areas such as performance, economy, reliability, practicality and build quality and in these areas, the VRS TSI excels.

No I wouldnt. Not because I'm at all unhappy with my car, but I just don't want to buy another of the same car when there are so many other vehicles to try. Thats partly why I had a Bravo last time - didn't want to buy another Mk2 Octavia.

I'm definitely not having another O3 with Torsion Beam. Would poss consider a 4x4 if they did a hatch or a vRS but bearing in mind a vRS with all the toys you get on an Elegance plus a few other bits tots up to over £29k, so prob £25k after discount, I'd rather go back to a Superb, especially bearing in mind the new S3 looks like they have sorted the butt end on the hatch and a 280TSI hatch with 4x4, DSG and 40mpg will probably be a good buy ex demo or 6-12 months old for similar money to a new vRS. Fail in that, a used Merc E350CDI, BMW 530D or a Jag XF will all be on my short list.

You know when you've been talking to me too long. You end up mentioning the XF nearly as many times as I do :cocktail:

• Like 1

Driving Octavias for 9 years now, the only other car ATM that I would want is a Mk3 Superb 4х4 DSG estate (if there is ever one) with more power than my current motor :)

Otherwise I am keen on top-spec Honda CRV in case they made larger boots and reinvent their autoboxes :)

MKIII is more grown up than the MkII. My VRS is quicker and better in most departments compared to my MKII, which I really liked. It handles better and has more toys. Maybe it's the underdog complex but my MKII seemed to have more character and compared well against more expensive cars and amazed me with its performance, load capacity and economy. The MKIII does all this and better, standfast economy until the weather gets warmer. I expected it to outperform the MkII on the basis that it was newer technology and a new platform, therefore it hasn't had time to impress me. Common post on this and similar threads. "I would have one if it was cheaper" perhaps Skoda don't need to have such offers at this time. All the VAG comparisons are a compromise over price/size/economy etc and of course whatever discount is available. Skodas seem to be very popular in my area now so discounts probably aren't needed on the newer models. As for BMW, they are more common than Fords, which used to be another reason to buy a Skoda, to be different.

I have to agree with almost all of this. I loved my mk2 Blackline but it was unfortunately a Friday afternoon car and refused to be fixed despite the dealer & Skoda UK throwing more money & parts at it than was probably financially sensible.

It was on the back of this that I ended up with my Mk3 vRS. I tried a few other brands (BMW, Mercedes etc) but none of them offered the same overall package of the Octy. It's not perfect, and it doesn't seem to have the character of my mk2, but it is a more accomplished car.

Would I have another? I'd certainly consider it when I eventually come to look at replacing it.

I'm on my fourth Octy in a row and am surprisingly pleased with the current one - I haven't had anything below 1.8 turbo for years, but the 1.4 TSi is very nice.

However, my original start into buying Skodas (Mk. 1 vRS Octavia) was that it was such a good deal financially. This was so all the way up to my No.3, the Mk.2 1.8 TSi,

The Mk. 3 is no longer a huge bargain - good value yes, but next time I will be more into compare and contrast, and be road testing other cars.

Edited by ednmra

I think if I were to look at buying something with my own money (on the basis it needs to be low emissions) Im thinking possibly Golf GTD, Scirocco GT 184 TDi, Leon ST FR 184, A3 Saloon S Line 184 or maybe a facelift 120d M Sport....possibly a 220d M Sport depending on what deals are out there.

I was about to pull the trigger on a white FR184, then got the vRS due to the fact I could get an estate for pretty much the same money (since the vRS was on 0% PCP at the time).

Now, the vRS wouldnt get a look in, as it would be more expensive than the Seat, and they are pretty much identical cars

The Mk. 3 is no longer a huge bargain - good value yes, but next time I will be more into compare and contrast, and be road testing other cars.

Depends on how you spec it I suppose. As a (non SUV) 4x4 Estate it seemed like the "most bang for the buck" option.

The other options would have been BMW, Audi...

Edited by kallekilponen

Depends on how you spec it I suppose. As a (non SUV) 4x4 Estate it seemed like the "most bang for the buck" option.

The other options would have been BMW, Audi...

I really couldnt find a good alternative to the Octavia.

I wanted a car with petrol engine, auto transmission and 4x4. And I couldnt find another car who met my criteria and was reasonably priced.

I really couldnt find a good alternative to the Octavia.

I wanted a car with petrol engine, auto transmission and 4x4. And I couldnt find another car who met my criteria and was reasonably priced.

If price wasn't an issue I'd go for a Tesla Model S 85D...but their prices are way out of my budget at the moment.

If price wasn't an issue I'd go for a Tesla Model S 85D...but their prices are way out of my budget at the moment.

A Tesla would nice. But a bit out my pricerange. And I would probably hate the waiting while charging on the long trips.

A Tesla would nice. But a bit out my pricerange. And I would probably hate the waiting while charging on the long trips.

The Supercharger network is growing pretty rapidly. A 20-30 min wait every ~400 km doesn't sound too bad to me, I'm going to need a break after that long in the car anyway.

The Supercharger network is growing pretty rapidly. A 20-30 min wait every ~400 km doesn't sound too bad to me, I'm going to need a break after that long in the car anyway.

Its growing, but very slowly up north.

At this point in time probably not and that is largely down to the rubbish rear suspension with torsion beam, which is light years behind my old Mondeo Estate in that respect. However, it might well be the case that there will be some improvements when they bring in the facelifted version of the Octavia 3 out.

Things I would change would be:

No torsion beam suspension on any Octavia, it might be a cheap manufacturing option but it is pretty dire in reality.

Suspension fine tuned for UK road conditions, my car is great on motorways but pretty rough on anything else. Pretty basic really, how hard would that be to do!

Six speed box with well spaced gear ratios has to make more sense than the ridiculous 5 speed box that the 1.6 TD comes with, where third gear is almost a true fourth gear and fourth feels more like a true fifth gear. That has a major impact on day to day driving, trying to stay at 30mph around towns, my car can't do that in fourth gear if there is a gentle incline, first diesel car I've ever had that issue with!

Sound proofing would be nice too, car is far noisier than it should be.

Winter pack should really be standard on Elegance models, not bothered about Alcantara seats, comfy sports style ones available in other EU countries would be fine if that saves a bit of money.

As things stand the new Superb will probably be a much better option or a new Passat but things being what they are, I'll probably have this car for at least another 2 years and maybe longer.

No torsion beam suspension on any Octavia, it might be a cheap manufacturing option but it is pretty dire in reality.

Suspension fine tuned for UK road conditions, my car is great on motorways but pretty rough on anything else. Pretty basic really, how hard would that be to do!

Six speed box with well spaced gear ratios has to make more sense than the ridiculous 5 speed box that the 1.6 TD comes with, where third gear is almost a true fourth gear and fourth feels more like a true fifth gear. That has 

Sound proofing would be nice too, car is far noisier than it should be.

Interesting. I find my 1.4 TSi hatch much more smooth, quieter and generally more "refined" than my previous Mk. 2 1.8TSi (which I really, really liked!!!)

I like my Mk. 3 6 speed manual box too.

So it obviously depends on which model/s you have experienced

Well if there's some sort of vRS+ with 4 x 4 and say 280bhp, I'll be in like a flash ;)

I reckon in time there might be a vRS+ with either the 265 or 280ps Leon Cupra motor. Almost certainly be 2wd though but with the VAQ diff.

The car is depreciating a bit faster than I thought it would, this may affect my desire to get another one. What attracted me was a decent price and low interest rate but looking at the lease costs of some other cars the monthly outgoings seem quite high now...

I was looking at the Model S and even the base 60kWh model costs over £1k/month to lease...thats not far off my mortgage payment!!

They are v nice cars though...I think Tesla are succeeding in making electric cars considerably more usable but also desirable.

I await the Model 3 with eager anticipation but I suspect price and range wise it will still be out of budget and fall short on usable range in that order.

If it comes along with a base price below £30k (after the government grant), offers perhaps sub 7 seconds 0-60 and can offer a real world 300-350 mile range it would be of interest.

My real problem is the lack of infrastructure particularly on the south coast and that as and when you run low even with a supercharger you're likely to have to stop for a good hour or so to fill up which is inconvenient when it takes only a minute or two to fill up with fuel.

If Tesla get to the point where Superchargers are literally everywhere (car parks, fuel stations) and get to a point where a vehicle can be fully replenished in just a few minutes (id imagine the tech is a way off still) then it would be alot more enticing.

Also I do wonder when Tesla will start playing around with inductive charging, that will be the next innovation id imagine.

If Tesla get... ...to a point where a vehicle can be fully replenished in just a few minutes (id imagine the tech is a way off still) then it would be a lot more enticing.

To my knowledge there's currently just the one test location in California. I'm curious to hear how it works once they open it up to the public.