Top Gear (or No Gear)?

Tilt

Don't get me wrong, I love Top Gear and think Clarkson & Co are extremely entertaining, but I often wondered just how much of the technical driving they actually do, rather than what it looks like they do, camera trickery and all that nowadays.

Mr May, maxing a Veyron for instance???

I watched the episode of them rescuing Hampster from atop a snowy mountain and noticed a shot of the dash in Jezza's Ford F150 Raptor, so recorded it on the repeat episode.

It is the shot where he is being a loon on the snow, and he says "the Raptor works well in these conditions" and then "where is he, where is he".

In real viewing time it is shown for less than a second, but on slow mo (24 fps I think) you can clearly see the speedo needle at 0mph and the rev needle at tick over indication, yet the camera is showing the truck moving at around 20mph. (guess).

If you tell me to clock off and leave him alone, I don't mind, I still want him and the team back on TV. He comes a close second to Guy Fawkes in my favourite persons list. Lol.

That's just tv.

Sometimes you can't film everything in real time. Most programs are like that especially wildlife progs.

The 'lap' you see of the star in a reasonably priced car isn't even one lap it's cuts of many laps the star has done. I'm sure the time is real which is what matters but they have to use good shots to make the program appealing visually.

When you see one of the them hooning round a corner sideways look on the track for tyre marks they've probably done that corner 10 times to get one good shot.

Quite possible, but it's their final lap which is what's recorded and shown, not their best one, they get x amount of practice ones? I do get that they may show other snips of other laps, but I don't get the logic of showing other clips of other previous laps if their final one IS the one that counts, as there's no point. Occasionally you do see them boon up one of the corners which slows them down, so it's not always the best shots.

That's just tv.

Sometimes you can't film everything in real time. Most programs are like that especially wildlife progs.

The 'lap' you see of the star in a reasonably priced car isn't even one lap it's cuts of many laps the star has done. I'm sure the time is real which is what matters but they have to use good shots to make the program appealing visually.

When you see one of the them hooning round a corner sideways look on the track for tyre marks they've probably done that corner 10 times to get one good shot.

I'm talking slow mo on my PVR.

I'm talking slow mo on my PVR.

Its editing!! Nothing strange or startling...its the same in movies and TV shows (I've made one of those), they do a number of takes and use the best or then just use another shot taken on a completely different day and or location and chop it down to fit and hope no one notices :)

K:)

they previously admitted that for some of the challenges (like where JC drove a bugatti from Italy and the others flew a wee plane) that they do the actual race with some cameras to allow him to drive as fast as required, then go back and repeat the same route with someone esle driving (and able to repeat certain sections) to get the arty shots and grand externals

• Like 1

The above are all correct. Only an unimaginative person could think there could be an infinite number of film crews hanging around to film everything in real time. So why say in a conspiratorial fashion that they previously admitted ?

Edited by gregoir

Previously = when they said it, as in "a while ago"

Admitted = that was the tone of the article in the Top Gear Magazine when they confirmed what everyone had suspected anyway, or responding to complaints that the races weren't "real"

eg "yes, we admit it, it's not always Jezza/James/Hamster driving when you see the final video of the challenges, we go back and shoot extra footage after the event..... but the challenge result itself is real"

I'm not that credulous to ever have believed that all the shots of the cars going round bends, stopping at petrol stations were the result of separate camera crews filming the challenge in real time.

Life is not a conspiracy where you argue with some tortured logic that everything is faked. Top Gear is an entertainment programme which is not admissible in a court of law.

Anyway , Mr Clarkson HAS now been sacked and may be prosecuted for common assault. Or not.

• Like 1

That always annoys me in movies where they have clearly done the stunt several times, especially on gravel/dirt where they could just run a rake over it! Sloppy.

Guest BigJase88

May and Hammond will leave and join jezza on another channel

Top gear is dead and the bbc will lose millions and millions.

I'm not that credulous to ever have believed that all the shots of the cars going round bends, stopping at petrol stations were the result of separate camera crews filming the challenge in real time.

Life is not a conspiracy where you argue with some tortured logic that everything is faked. Top Gear is an entertainment programme which is not admissible in a court of law.

Anyway , Mr Clarkson HAS now been sacked and may be prosecuted for common assault. Or not.

Not sacked as such...

May and Hammond will leave and join jezza on another channel

Top gear is dead and the bbc will lose millions and millions.

Yup. Also, what now for the producer? He's just effectively got the programme he worked on cancelled, possibly one of the best jobs he'll ever have. Deary me. 

• Like 1

I loved the show, i know a lot of it is staged and scripted but it is a fun entertainment show which makes me laugh. Apparently their contracts were up in April/May and they were considering leaving but this happened before that.

Hope they don't go to Sky as i don't have Sky.

• Like 1

He was punched, and Clarkson reported himself. The producer isn't at fault..

In essence yes, but perhaps if he had ensured the catering arrangements were properly dealt with earlier, the situation would never have arisen.

Whilst Clarkson's actions aren't (very) excusable, I have to say that the way the producer dealt with the situation (bearing in mind he had worked with JC for 10 years on that show) of being verbally abused for 20 minutes probably didn't help. We all know that you can't reason with an inebriated person and the best course of action is to walk away, and by all accounts the producer didn't do this. And if Clarkson had told him he'd have him removed from the show, he was drunk so he wouldn't have remembered in the morning and who of us can honestly claim that we've never said anything whilst drunk that we later regret ("I lovvvvvvve you, mate", "it was only a kiss", "OK, I will marry you", etc., etc.)

In the 20 minutes he was verbally abused, he could have gone into the kitchen and cooked Clarkson a nice medium/rare fillet (allowing time to stand) and probably rustled up some fries and a bit of salad to go with it. I thought the role of a producer was to look after all the bits of the production process not covered by the director - well it looks like he failed on that one simple measure and now we all have to suffer (or celebrate, depending on your view of Clarkson).

I for one will be mega p***ed off if I have to get a Sky subscription in order to watch NuTop Gear!

• Like 2

In essence yes, but perhaps if he had ensured the catering arrangements were properly dealt with earlier, the situation would never have arisen.

Whilst Clarkson's actions aren't (very) excusable, I have to say that the way the producer dealt with the situation (bearing in mind he had worked with JC for 10 years on that show) of being verbally abused for 20 minutes probably didn't help. We all know that you can't reason with an inebriated person and the best course of action is to walk away, and by all accounts the producer didn't do this. And if Clarkson had told him he'd have him removed from the show, he was drunk so he wouldn't have remembered in the morning and who of us can honestly claim that we've never said anything whilst drunk that we later regret ("I lovvvvvvve you, mate", "it was only a kiss", "OK, I will marry you", etc., etc.)

In the 20 minutes he was verbally abused, he could have gone into the kitchen and cooked Clarkson a nice medium/rare fillet (allowing time to stand) and probably rustled up some fries and a bit of salad to go with it. I thought the role of a producer was to look after all the bits of the production process not covered by the director - well it looks like he failed on that one simple measure and now we all have to suffer (or celebrate, depending on your view of Clarkson).

I for one will be mega p***ed off if I have to get a Sky subscription in order to watch NuTop Gear!

Yes,Jeremy reported it himself but I get the funny feeling someone saw it happen and said 'you report it or I will'

As much as I like Jezza,how do we know this hasn't been happening for years?

I really don't think the Beeb had a choice. One of their 'talent'  punched an employee repeatedly in the face because he was unable to get the food of his choice in the evening.

Now he might have been up for a raging if he had failed in his job to organised catering properly but not a smack in the face no matter how long or hard the day had been.

I'm sure Jezza knew he'd gone too far this time.

Are there any more excuses you'd like to make for him?

It has been well reported elsewhere that Clarkson turned up three hours late by Helicopter because Hammond, May and him and gone to the pub.  So they turn up at gone eleven when the chef has gone home and surprise surprise there is no hot food....and that is the producer's fault in what way?

Regards Chris

. We all know that you can't reason with an inebriated person and the best course of action is to walk away And if , he was drunk so he wouldn't have remembered in the morning and who of us can honestly claim that we've never said anything whilst drunk that we later regret ("I lovvvvvvve you, mate", "it was only a kiss", "OK, I will marry you", etc., etc.)

In the 20 minutes he was verbally abused

Mmmmmmm........think I might have had Clarkson on my train  We Train crew have to put up with this most friday and saturday nights     :yes:

Hope they don't go to Sky as i don't have Sky.

if they do go to sky - which i also don't have - this would give me a way of not watching it but not feeling bad. was getting a bit tired of it recently and only tuned in to see nice cars, and "claim" a chunk of SUnday night viewing time away from SWMBO

That always annoys me in movies where they have clearly done the stunt several times, especially on gravel/dirt where they could just run a rake over it! Sloppy.

This always gets on my goat as well!!! it just looks wrong when you can see loads of skid marks on the street in the final cut!!! I know they have to get it right but surely they could use some computer wizardry to erase them!!

K:)

If he punched someone he should lose his job. End of. Simply no excuses for that in my view. It's a shame really the show will go from the BBC but you never know they may do another car programme and the TG lot may set up shop on another channel.