High cost / low effectiveness of Skoda servicing?

dochsm

My 2012 superb diesel 170bhp tells me it needs another service at just over 40,000 miles, which I'll have to do to maintain the warranty. I guess this is a 'full' service, although its hard to find out exactly which one it is.

I am rather amazed at the high cost for what they do and the enthusiam with which they describe rather pointless activies. For £259 it seems all I really get is an oil change. ie

Real work done
Oil & filter change (fully synthetic oil) - maybe £40 retail

Check only - says they 'might' replace
pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter    - maybe £10, £12 and £12 respectively retail

Just check - nothing done
brakes, all drive belts, gearbox oil, suspension system, heating/air con

Only to be expected but could do without
Diagnostic check including report, Vehicle inspection and report, Re-set service interval display
Full vehicle road test, Vehicle and software enhancements from ŠKODA's database

Rather pointless or costs nothing
Wash and vacuum (only once every 20,000 miles!), ŠKODA stamp in service book

Any faults found during the 'checks' would probably already be obvious to any careful driver used to carrying out routine safety checks on their car.

So it looks like in the best case I get about £80 of stuff replaced, so I'm paying £180 for somebody to simply look at my car and do a 10 minute oil change.

Anyone know where I can get a list of 'approved' garages that won't void my warranty but might be a bit more sensible on price?

• Like 1

+1 for an indy.

if you find a good one you'll discover someone that does things properly and not just according to the beancounter manual.

Edited by Aspman

My 2012 superb diesel 170bhp tells me it needs another service at just over 40,000 miles, which I'll have to do to maintain the warranty. I guess this is a 'full' service, although its hard to find out exactly which one it is.

I am rather amazed at the high cost for what they do and the enthusiam with which they describe rather pointless activies. For £259 it seems all I really get is an oil change. ie

Real work done

Oil & filter change (fully synthetic oil) - maybe £40 retail

Check only - says they 'might' replace

pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter    - maybe £10, £12 and £12 respectively retail

Just check - nothing done

brakes, all drive belts, gearbox oil, suspension system, heating/air con

Only to be expected but could do without

Diagnostic check including report, Vehicle inspection and report, Re-set service interval display

Full vehicle road test, Vehicle and software enhancements from ŠKODA's database

Rather pointless or costs nothing

Wash and vacuum (only once every 20,000 miles!), ŠKODA stamp in service book

Any faults found during the 'checks' would probably already be obvious to any careful driver used to carrying out routine safety checks on their car.

So it looks like in the best case I get about £80 of stuff replaced, so I'm paying £180 for somebody to simply look at my car and do a 10 minute oil change.

Anyone know where I can get a list of 'approved' garages that won't void my warranty but might be a bit more sensible on price?

Those grindingly slow,down your dipstick chute pumps they use to do a half arsed job of sucking your old engine oil out ,will add 40 minutes and at least £50 onto your labour bill.

This will be interesting for me too since I have never used a garage to do anything, and with this Octavia being more 'complicated' than what I have had before.

I have one in mind, but it is about twelve miles away, in the middle of nowhere. I could have a nice pedal, I suppose.

I started a Good Garages list for our old LTs and it is growing slowly with places around the country. Often there is a bad one referenced too which forces a good one to be found.

Re Recommending Garages.

Maybe give some idea of the area you are in and want the Servicing done and then suggestions can be made for you.

For anyone in the Edinburgh or Central Scotland areas or that pass by that area, holidays, work etc,

maybe check these guys out.  

http://autohausedinburgh.co.uk

Good point.

I am in the Huntingdon area, in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia

It varies on the car doesnt it , we had an independent look after our Superb , initially due to lack of local dealer and then due to over priced dealer , our indie charged £160 inc the mot for the annual service and that was wheels off, full service , other servicing ie cambelt, brake fluid is reqd was also cheaper

BUT

You may retain warranty but may not get goodwill outside of warranty without full dealer history

For our Superb I wasnt too worried , no way I would take my Fabia VRS outside of the dealer network though ! 

• Like 1

You may retain warranty but may not get goodwill outside of warranty without full dealer history

Sounds a bit like that other rip off, insurance, then. I might have to pay £260 for an oil change every 20,000 miles on the off chance that I need some goodwill outside of warranty.

I doubt if their goodwill will extend to them paying for things I ought really to pay for once the warranty ends. I had enough trouble convincing a Skoda main dealer to admit that the columbus was faulty and needed replacing under warranty when it was only 18 months old. They never did admit it and I had to go 120 miles away to where I bought the car. 

But what exactly is an independent?

We have a one man band garage in our village that fixes cars (and tractors!). Always does a very good job and also diagnoses and 'repairs' things if possible instead of simply using a flow chart to replace everything until the car works again. So long as I get proof of genuine skoda parts and the correct oil, would they come under the revised 'block exclusion' rules from 2003 as an independent?

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like that other rip off, insurance, then. I might have to pay £260 for an oil change every 20,000 miles on the off chance that I need some goodwill outside of warranty.

I doubt if their goodwill will extend to them paying for things I ought really to pay for once the warranty ends. I had enough trouble convincing a Skoda main dealer to admit that the columbus was faulty and needed replacing under warranty when it was only 18 months old. They never did admit it and I had to go 120 miles away to where I bought the car. 

But what exactly is an independent?

We have a one man band garage in our village that fixes cars (and tractors!). Always does a very good job and also diagnoses and 'repairs' things if possible instead of simply using a flow chart to replace everything until the car works again. So long as I get proof of genuine skoda parts and the correct oil, would they come under the revised 'block exclusion' rules from 2003 as an independent?

I've managed to get goodwill out of Skoda in the past but I wouldnt bet on getting any today as I think customer loyalty is no longer valued

The servicing may be Minor & Major time about on Fixed / Annual Servicing,  

but you certainly do not need to pay £260 every 20,000 miles to be within the Manufactures Schedule / Guidelines.

Do you have a 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty or an Extended one that means you actually need to follow their Service Schedule / Guidelines?

Here is one from a google, but no idea about your area.

http://vwtechnics.com

http://vwtechnics.com/price-guide

Edited by goneoffSKi

Sorry to hijack the thread but on a similar issue.............my Superb will be due its first service (variable) later this year. I am already thinking of using an independent for the reasons expressed in this thread. Overpriced and low effectiveness.

I understand that if the indy uses genuine parts the warranty remains protected.

Can anyone suggest why this is not preferable to using Skoda?

Thanks

Skoda UK will say because the Official Dealerships know of any Updates or Enhancments and Service Campaign Work Required.

But actually many Independent VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat Garages will have the Diagnostic Equipment, and the Licence from VWG 

& know of any Technical Advice on Service Campaigns & Recalls.

They might not do the Warranty Work, but some can, 

they vcan let you know though and then you can go to the Official Skoda Dealers Workshop and get your Warranty Work 

or Service Campaign work carried out.

It is a 'Free Market' in the EU, and Restrictive Practices are illegal,

so Use a VAT Registered Place with Qualified Technicians with the Equipment, Training & that use OEM parts if you want.

Just check who you do use,

many can be fully Qualified Volkswagen Group Technicians and Master Technicians that like doing a proper job professionally.

You can not say that about all Main Dealer Workshop Employees.

• Like 1

Anyone thinking of paying £259 for a Skoda main dealer service really needs to think twice.

The ONLY extra's you get over the basic / minor £139 oil and filter service are the fuel, air and pollen filters.

BUT these are only replaced "if required" which is highly unlikely if the car is still in warranty. These additional items are rarely required before 3 years / 60,000 miles.

Despite this Skoda will still happily charge you £259 for what is essentially an oil and filter. Crazy.

Skoda UK will say because the Official Dealerships know of any Updates or Enhancments and Service Campaign Work Required.

@kevberlin

What goneoffSki says may be true, that Official dealerships may have updates, but even that needs care. I asked my local official dealer if they would do a map update of the columbus during its first service as the maps were older than the car. They wanted to charge me an extra £125 to do it. The dealer I bought the car from, not local but reachable, did it for nothing. (It only needs a dvd putting in the slot and left there for an hour)

Still not sure how you go about finding these 'fully Qualified Volkswagen Group Technicians and Master Technicians that like doing a proper job professionally.' I've just asked a nearby independent chosen at random from a list on the Internet that mentioned skoda and they quoted £240 - OK a bit cheaper than main dealer but not by much. They are still charging much more per hour for labour than most of their customers would earn in the same hour.

• Like 1

Here are some suggestions for you:

Jabbasport - Crowland

TTS Roadsport - Kempston, Bedford.

Unit 18 Automotive - Wolverton, Milton Keynes

quattro-tech - St Ives

I have used the first 3, while the last appears in this week's Hunts Post.

Find them by asking on a forum, or maybe local enthusiasts.

http://autohausedinburgh.co.uk/autohaus_edinburgh_ltd

As to Updates and stuff, to be fair to Dealerships or Independents, they have overheads and expenses and stuff is licensed and not many Trades People do stuff for Free. Customers like Plumbers, Electricians, Solicitors will charge plenty as an Hourly rate, even Shoe Repairers / Key Cutters.

Do it yourself, what is the problem? Changing oil, all filters, brake fluid is trivially simple.

Just keep the receipts of the correct parts to be used.

For updates take your car to an indy and they will do all the ECU updates for less than £100 if any are needed and they will probably tell you for free if any are required. Make a note in your service book and voila.

Do it yourself, what is the problem? Changing oil, all filters, brake fluid is trivially simple.

Just keep the receipts of the correct parts to be used.

For updates take your car to an indy and they will do all the ECU updates for less than £100 if any are needed and they will probably tell you for free if any are required. Make a note in your service book and voila.

I've absolutly no problem doing it myself. I've never worked as a car mechanic but I rebuilt two of my gearboxes in the 80's, filing out new slots in a synchromesh and reaming bushes for the layshaft. I once changed my head gasket during my lunch hour and I've lost cont of the number of new pistons and rings I've fitted in the past.

That's partly why I object so much to paying somebody else to 'check' lots of stuff without actually replacing anything.

But I thought my hands were tied because of the service stamp needed for the warranty and possible eventual sale of the car (You know, full service history etc.)

I suppose I could nominaly set myself up as an independent for the duration of the service!

OP

That's on par with my Volvo V50 2.0d service price. With that I get the car collected (I am 30miles from the dealer) a loan car and a year of comprehensive breakdown cover included too

Edited by loskie

Full Service History is great,

receipts and in the old days stamps in the Service Book with the Mail Dealer Stamp.

'Proper Servicing and maintenance'   carried out correctly, and parts replaced as needed is much more important if your car is going to be a Keeper.

Only Main Dealers can continue to talk about FDSH as being of value because the servicing done by them can be Fluids,

look see and report.

Does that 'Full Dealer Service History' over 5 Years really get you an Extra £500 over the car with Proper Servicing

and still a Valid Warranty?  So correct servicing is important, done be a dealers workshop, not really.

5 or 6 year old car and a Dealer is probably sending it to auction anyway, and the Trade Buyers know the FDSH is worth no extra.

Edited by goneoffSKi

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, JLR,  like to still come away with that,  they can well be right

but many will have a Service Maintenance package with the Finance / Lease / Contract.

Real world owning a car and keeping it, or trading in after you owned it until the Original Warranty Expired,

they are likely to be treating the car like it would infect their forecourt.

Goodwill Gestures given once out of Warranty because you used some Dealerships Facilities to be screwed stupid for several years is 

something some do get.

Good point.

I am in the Huntingdon area, in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia

Likewise to other posters- have a look at some of the sponsors on here. e.g, one is about 45 miles from Huntingdon .Factory trained and there's at least one other posting on here with a business who's always ready to help out with advice, who's VAG trained.