handbrake rolling

And one experienced handbrake slipping? Ie when parking on a hill putting the handbrake on and the car rolling away? I should also mention the handbrake was up in its usual position to where I can't pull it up more.

I previously had a fabia in 2011 that did the exact same having the brakes overhauled new discs, pads drums checked etc problem was still there.

I just wondered has any one else experienced something like this it tends to happen afterthe hill assist let's go.

Any ideas?

I haven't noticed it myself, but I have heard of other members complaining of the same, skodanorman being one of them.

I'm glad it's not just me, I was really hoping this wouldn't happen again. Which is a shame really. I once stopped at traffic lights handbrake on and I started to roll towards the car in front which obviously is a little stressful

Its hard to test the handbrake with the DSG and hill hold function, but I have a feeling the amount I pull it upwards doesnt hold a jack schitt.

I've found our handbrake to be rubbish, from day one. We took it back to the dealers and they can't find a fault. Our drive is quite steep and I always leave the car and choc it for fear of it rolling. Never ever leave the car not in gear because I really doubt the handbrake would hold it. Worst part of the car by far. 

I have the same problem, which seems to be worse when the car is very hot.

Handbrake is on as hard as possible hold for a little while but starts to slip after a few minutes.

There was someone on here who had the same problem causing their car to roll across the carpark, damaging the front bumper & which took a long time to correct.

Well it looks like back to the dealer and see what's what. I had them look at my fabia and no fault found so ended up selling hopefully it won't end that way with this. But I can confirm the handbrakes are rubbish from my experience over the years

Handbrake on the O3 isnt v good....they might just as well put the e-brake from the Mk7 on it.

Part of the issue is the hill hold.....i find if parking on an incline and apply the handbrake whilst HHC is still activated the handbrake cable doesnt lift all that high and doesnt seemingly apply enough tension on the back brakes.

I usually turn off the engine, hold the brake down and reapply the handbrake....it then lifts significantly higher and provides a much better hold.

They are known to also only partially engage, causing the handbrake to drop (and make a scary bang) leading to the car being able to roll away....and has happened to a couple of people on here.

Its happened to me a couple of times early on whilst in the car (thankfully) but is Ok now its had plenty of use. I also make a point of double checking it before leaving the car...also ensuring the car is in 1st or reverse as required as a back up should the worst happen.

• Like 1

Just had a call from the dealer. He said the handbrake is auto adjusting and you should put your foot hard on the brake while putting the handbrake on to ensure it engages properly. Hopefully that fixes it!

• Like 1

Just had a call from the dealer. He said the handbrake is auto adjusting and you should put your foot hard on the brake while putting the handbrake on to ensure it engages properly. Hopefully that fixes it!

This means you have to pull handbrake while the engine is running?

This means you have to pull handbrake while the engine is running?

Not really, there is usually enough residual pressure to engage the brakes at least once after the engine is switched off. If not then you would need to restart.

I remember on a driving course that they recommended pushing the handbrake button in when applying the brake to avoid excessive wear on the ratchet as they were only made from mild steel and wore over time.

• Like 1

It's certainly not a great handbrake on this car, I have noticed that even when firmly applied that it can squeal and groan when you're stopped on a steep hill. The brake cable also seems to stretch quite a lot too, had to ask garage to adjust mine well before its first service as the handbrake was hard against the whacky sliding armrest, it has a defined dent in it now where it was touching! Garage said that it wasn't a problem as you could push the armrest away, which is kind if true and also not at the same time. You can push it away but if you lean your arm on the armrest at all as you change gears or whatever, it will definitely slide forwards right into the handbrake, something which could have been avoided if it was a fixed armrest. I've no idea why anyone would want a sliding armrest anyway, other than being annoying, what actual purpose does it serve?

I could mention it being lefthand drive too but I've got long arms, so pretty easy to reach for me. No hill hold on my car, so not sure how much of a difference that would make to it overall either but it would be nice to have. Again my handbrake cable stretched quite a bit on one occasion as I had to pull it even harder, even though it was already firmly on but being very noisy, think it must have ended up nearly an inch more vertical by the time I got off the hill!

I always press the button, and pull it up to where it should stop - but do find it needs an extra click at times (this is on a Tdi VRs, not that I suppose it matters as far as handbrake goes) I've just got used to pulling it 'right up' now and seems fine... but I do always check for a roll - now hill start has been mentioned on this thread, it does seem to ring a bell (although I haven't been monitoring as such) - as if the pressure is released when the hill stop shuts off and the roll starts. I'll check in the morning...

TBH, when this has happened and I've noticed, has been in *tight* traffic, so I've corrected it immediately. If I get a chance in the morning I'll let it roll and report back :)

I could do it on the hill I live on but may not remember in the flurry of getting out and on in time for work!

Edited by mangoletse

The only downfall of using discs on the back rather than drums. Discs are good brakes but rubbish as handbrakes and drums are the other way round.

Interesting you should say that the fabia was disc front drum back but put it on a hill the hand brake was like you hadn't even touched it. As for the octavia discs all around but on the hill it will roll.

I always press the button, and pull it up to where it should stop - but do find it needs an extra click at times (this is on a Tdi VRs, not that I suppose it matters as far as handbrake goes) I've just got used to pulling it 'right up' now and seems fine... but I do always check for a roll - now hill start has been mentioned on this thread, it does seem to ring a bell (although I haven't been monitoring as such) - as if the pressure is released when the hill stop shuts off and the roll starts. I'll check in the morning...

My issue definitely seems to be cause by hill interfering somehow with how the handbrake catches. I would imagine should I drive up a hill and just rip the handbrake without giving it chance to come on would work but also cause damage.

As far as pressing hard on the brakes I've tried this I've tried pulling the hand brake up with and without it only goes to notch 1 anyway I've tried pushing button in pulling hand brake then pulling some more whilst rolling i should add to see if it stops but it has a mind of its own. It's back at the dealer a week on Friday anyway so we will see what they have to say I would imagine like the fabia they will just laugh me out the door and tell me everything is fine. In which case I would be in the market for a new car as it would grind at me that something was wrong.

Edited by Sh0cky

I've no idea why anyone would want a sliding armrest anyway, other than being annoying, what actual purpose does it serve?

It allows you to position it in the correct spot to support your elbow while driving and still gives access to the cupholders and handbrake lever when needed. I love it having been used to fixed ones in my previous cars.

I'd prefer not to have an arm rest at all. It just gets in the way, especially with the handbrake and cup holders both being on the wrong sides of the car.