Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

I'm new to all this, I ordered my Skoda Octavia Greenline three with the Bolero unit, on 6th June, it was built on 22ndJune and I collect it that's Saturday 22nd August after my dealer cocked up the paperwork twice. I have seen the car and it has a USB port underneath the Bolero unit. Does this mean mine has the new mirror link that you are all talking about please?

mirror link is now smart link (ie mirror link + apple car play + android auto). As it costs £150 you will get it if you paid for it, if you didn't, just like any other option, you won't. 

I'm new to all this, I ordered my Skoda Octavia Greenline three with the Bolero unit, on 6th June, it was built on 22ndJune and I collect it that's Saturday 22nd August after my dealer cocked up the paperwork twice. I have seen the car and it has a USB port underneath the Bolero unit. Does this mean mine has the new mirror link that you are all talking about please?

you'd be better asking octavia questions in the octavia section rather than the fabia one :-)

you'd be better asking octavia questions in the octavia section rather than the fabia one :-)

maybe not, it seems we have opened up a big can for all skoda cars, but only us Fabia owners are aware of...

No there are threads on this in the octavia 3 section and have been since MY16 was announced (have a look at the "MY16" thread and the "smartlink ask me anything" thread)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sorry for gap in updates. I now have a fully working mirrorlink. I took an early upgrade on my phone and got a htc one m9 and full uk sygic version. Skoda uk and my dealer went halves on the cost, recieved £297. Takes a bit of getting used to but does work and music play via Bluetooth while sat nav is running. So I now have what I wanted apart from changing from my iPhone to htc, but seems ok.

• Like 1

How can you tell what week the car was built? I bought a 'from stock' car that the dealer said had only arrived from the factory the week before (early August) so it should be post-week 22, however looking at the skoda site, it says those build after week 22 will have smart link instead of mirror link, which the car doesn't have.

Likewise, the brochures said that android auto works with mirror link and so did the salesman, but I get nothing but disconnections whenever I try to fire up android auto with mirror link. I have a Samsung S5 which both comparability lists state should be fine.

I asked the salesman when I picked the car up yesterday if he could tell me when it was built but he had no idea, nor any understanding of the whole pre/post week 22 differences.

Only having had the car a day, I am wondering if it is something I am doing wrong, so not really wanting to challenge the dealers until I am sure.

In some country's smartlink is a paid option and not standard equipment. Check the brochure for your country :)

If you press menu on your bolero you should see smartlink when you scroll through the list, if your car has it.

Edited by Dvinge

How can you tell what week the car was built? I bought a 'from stock' car that the dealer said had only arrived from the factory the week before (early August) so it should be post-week 22, however looking at the skoda site, it says those build after week 22 will have smart link instead of mirror link, which the car doesn't have.

Likewise, the brochures said that android auto works with mirror link and so did the salesman, but I get nothing but disconnections whenever I try to fire up android auto with mirror link. I have a Samsung S5 which both comparability lists state should be fine.

I asked the salesman when I picked the car up yesterday if he could tell me when it was built but he had no idea, nor any understanding of the whole pre/post week 22 differences.

Only having had the car a day, I am wondering if it is something I am doing wrong, so not really wanting to challenge the dealers until I am sure.

Easiest way to check will be to check the radio if it has a smartlink or mirrorlink option. If you press the menu button then scroll through to check.

My pre-week 22 car (Bolero) System information.

Device part number: 5Q0035819

Hardware: H11

Software: 0138

Media Codes: 1003.113.1.15 prod

Could anyone with a post-week 22 car post their System information?

Ours is

Device part number: 5Q0035820

Hardware: H11

Software: 0137

Media Codes: 1003.113.1.15 prod

Ever since this thread was started by Kev I've been an avid reader and made a few comments and fought the good fight .Mirrorlink and Skoda customer service totally spoilt the new car experience for me .I have had Mirrorlink working since late June ,I've come to this conclusion I should not have bothered its not worth the expense of changing phones etc and for what the apps that work it defiantly isn't worth it .

I hardly use it at all now and surprise surprise .I'm now enjoying the car a lot more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ever since this thread was started by Kev I've been an avid reader and made a few comments and fought the good fight .Mirrorlink and Skoda customer service totally spoilt the new car experience for me .I have had Mirrorlink working since late June ,I've come to this conclusion I should not have bothered its not worth the expense of changing phones etc and for what the apps that work it defiantly isn't worth it .

I hardly use it at all now and surprise surprise .I'm now enjoying the car a lot more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too am enjoying driving the the car Mick, it's a little cracker! The thing is, Skoda should have had an upgrade path for early adopters as they clearly did not launch a finished product. At very least a paid for sat nav option should have been available.

After a lot of table banging, my Kenwood Mib is on the way and having seen one working its very impressive. We don't all want or need tech in our cars, but false and empty promises was not the way to get sales from the ones who do.  :sun:

• Like 2

I too am enjoying driving the the car Mick, it's a little cracker! The thing is, Skoda should have had an upgrade path for early adopters as they clearly did not launch a finished product. At very least a paid for sat nav option should have been available.

After a lot of table banging, my Kenwood Mib is on the way and having seen one working its very impressive. We don't all want or need tech in our cars, but false and empty promises was not the way to get sales from the ones who do.  :sun:

Glad someone else has had the offer of the Kenwood MIB NAV, did you have to contribute Phil?

I am still yet to receive mine, and am still being told two different stories from my dealer and Skoda UK as to it's whereabouts.

Unfortunately I have kind of resigned myself to this bad level of service now, it seems to be the Skoda norm now.

Anyway, hopefully by the end of this week or next (who do you believe?) the Kenwood will arrive.

• Like 1

Little side question...does anyone know if the system will work with an iPad? As i'vecsaid before, I have perfectly good satnav on my iPad2 and I would just need it displayed on the Bolero screen.

I don't have, or need, a smartphone which is really just a very expensive iPad with telecomms. If system won't play with iPad then it's either replace my old Tom Tom satnav, (circa 2004?), or find a way of mounting the iPad 2 on the dash or buy an iPad Mini and a Brodit dash mount. iPad 2 is quite large to dash mount and suitable mounts are fairly clunky...from what I've seen.

This is all prep for when I collect my SE L 1.2 110 DSG Hatch on the 8th. At this stage, I don't know the build week number but sales people did seem genned up on the problem(s). Maybe they will have solutions - been 1st Class so far.

Comments welcome...and have a great weekend.

Little side question...does anyone know if the system will work with an iPad? As i'vecsaid before, I have perfectly good satnav on my iPad2 and I would just need it displayed on the Bolero screen.

I don't have, or need, a smartphone which is really just a very expensive iPad with telecomms. If system won't play with iPad then it's either replace my old Tom Tom satnav, (circa 2004?), or find a way of mounting the iPad 2 on the dash or buy an iPad Mini and a Brodit dash mount. iPad 2 is quite large to dash mount and suitable mounts are fairly clunky...from what I've seen.

This is all prep for when I collect my SE L 1.2 110 DSG Hatch on the 8th. At this stage, I don't know the build week number but sales people did seem genned up on the problem(s). Maybe they will have solutions - been 1st Class so far.

Comments welcome...and have a great weekend.

Hi, no afraid it won't work with an iPad. If your car has Smartlink which is likely given your delivery date then you'd need either an iPhone 5 or later to connect via Apple Carplay or a compatible Android phone to connect via Android Auto. I was in a similar position to you having an old Garmin satnav but no smartphone. I bought a low-cost Moto E phone running the latest Android 5.0.2 and it works but loses connection at the drop of a hat so isn't reliable. I was originally considering an iPhone (you can pick up a used 5 or 5c quite cheap) but wasn't impressed with Apple maps route planning which I tried on my iPad. I also don't like the fact that these systems both rely on you being in an area with a mobile signal (there is no offline mode) So I have settled on the Navmii app for my phone which is great and works offline. I'm just looking for a good mount so I'll check out the Brodit ones. 

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy driving your new car.

Hi, no afraid it won't work with an iPad. If your car has Smartlink which is likely given your delivery date then you'd need either an iPhone 5 or later to connect via Apple Carplay or a compatible Android phone to connect via Android Auto. I was in a similar position to you having an old Garmin satnav but no smartphone. I bought a low-cost Moto E phone running the latest Android 5.0.2 and it works but loses connection at the drop of a hat so isn't reliable. I was originally considering an iPhone (you can pick up a used 5 or 5c quite cheap) but wasn't impressed with Apple maps route planning which I tried on my iPad. I also don't like the fact that these systems both rely on you being in an area with a mobile signal (there is no offline mode) So I have settled on the Navmii app for my phone which is great and works offline. I'm just looking for a good mount so I'll check out the Brodit ones. 

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy driving your new car.

Thanks Coaster, not best news but at least I now know. I have good satnave on the iPad, (iPad 2, wi-fi + cellular but no sim), using Scout...formerly Skobbler. Been totally reliable and workd just like any dedicated satnav without data charges, (it's something to do with the cellular side of things not nneding a sim. A tip I was given by an American friend). Brodit aren't keen dash mounts for iPads, and that's understandable. Will probably end up with a new Tom Tom but would have liked "built-in". Ah well, I'm sure the car will be brilliant. Have driven one with the 110 engine but 6-spd manual and it did remind me of my old Mk1 vRS. Kinda playful without being edgy. Looking forward to it. Be quite a change after the Volvo.

Thanks for your response. Have a great weekend.

*I bought a low-cost Moto E phone running the latest Android 5.0.2 and it works but loses connection at the drop of a hat so isn't reliable.*

Hi, you lose connection or you lose connection from phone to car? If 2nd option, do you use a official / good quality wire? I heard some problems due to cables and connection loss...

*I bought a low-cost Moto E phone running the latest Android 5.0.2 and it works but loses connection at the drop of a hat so isn't reliable.*

Hi, you lose connection or you lose connection from phone to car? If 2nd option, do you use a official / good quality wire? I heard some problems due to cables and connection loss...

Good point. When connecting such low-power devices I guess cable/connector integrity becomes more important. To most of us, a cable is a cable...cheaper the better. What could go wrong? Why pay £23 for a branded one when a 59p one off eBay does the same job? Exaggeration at both ends there, but you get the point. So, spend £17k on the car and save a small amount on a cable which may then fup up part of the experience. Worth thinking about.

• Like 1

Hi, it's the phone to car that cuts out. You're right the cable does make a difference and this has been reported elsewhere by others. I bought a cheap cable to keep in the car and couldn't connect at all with that. Then i changed to the original that came with the phone and it worked but regularly loses the connection. I don't know the quality of the phones original cable or if it can be improved further. The system is pretty good though when it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenwood MIB Nav has today been fitted to my car, seems to work fine, but one box has been mounted in the passenger footwell which isn't ideal.

Progress Skoda have offered to move it, but it is not as easy a fit as in the Golf, hence the position currently.

It may be possible to fit in the Glovebox, but it will be tight.

All because that box has an SD card slot for updates, so access is required.

Anyone who has been offered this solution for the Mirrorlink fiasco, be aware of the positioning, although as I say, this may be possible to overcome.

• Like 2