vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

There's not really a lot I can add as just about everything you need to know (and more) is contained in this thread - however, if you're "quite worried" about possible oil consumption issues then you may be better looking elsewhere.

• Like 2

@ Citigocuti

I asked my Skoda dealer what you planning on doing with the 1000+ VRS still out there that more than likely need Oil fixes & they said all would be offered for auction should they receive any as trade-ins now.

(Ie not their problem to come back to haunt them)

Ask can they provide full service history + Details of all warranty work:

I would ask if it is CTHE engine (most likely it is) and if it has had the oil jet fixes, intake, breather pipe fixes, oh and also has the mineral gearbox oil been checked that was offered on warranty (some customers dont bother to get things like this done). 

I paid for mine to be fixed as i now fully own the car no payments @35K, too early to tell if its worked as i have only done 200 miles since paying for the fixes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice there.

Am I safer buying a newer car?

Also I intend to buy an extended warranty - will this cover me for the oil issue?

Does anyone on here have a newer engine which has had the oil problem?

Many thanks.

Also I intend to buy an extended warranty - will this cover me for the oil issue?

Many thanks.

The only extended warranty worth having is the Skoda one (all other warranty providers would doubtless repudiate any claims on a twin-charger engine due to 'known issues) and even then....

The Skoda warranty covers sudden and unexpected damage, so while it may cover an engine in the event of it suddenly going pop I doubt very much that it would cover excessive oil usage per se.

Re the CHTE - it is less likely that it'll be an oil burner but posters on here have had ones that had issues (particularly the early CHTEs). If you decide to buy I'd go for as late a car as possible - either from a Skoda dealer (if you can find one...) or perhaps one that someone on here can vouch for e.g. a car they have just traded in.

Edit: There are a couple for sale at Skoda dealers - a 14 plate estate in Canterbury (£11,495 :o ) and a 14 plate estate in Yeovil (£9,950 sticker price).

Edit again :) : There are actually 14 in Skoda dealer network (I just used Autotrader for my previous search).

Edited by Brian69

Many thanks.

I had the issue with my Polo and Warranty Wise covered the work with no quible. The total cost of the work actually equalled the cost of the warranty so anything else now is a bonus.

Just depends on what company you go with and where you take the car. I took my to a VW dealer which uses the Warranty Wise portal.

Thanks Brian for your sound advise there.

I was thinking of going for a Skoda extended warenty and purchasing from a Skoda dealer too. The Croydon Skoda branch have been great in the past.

I'm in my mid 40's - hope I'm not having a mid life crisis????Going for this.

Yeh I saw that one at Canterbury and that's about £2.5k over priced. 14 plate is coming in at £9k Parker guide price and £7k trade in we buy any car which are both normally quite accurate.

Seen a couple of leather interior cars around - was that an option?

I'm going to take my time looking?

Does higher/lower milage influence the oil problem?

Thanks

If you buy one from a Skoda dealer you'll get a 'Skoda approved' warranty with it (usually one year I think but they possibly give two on certain vehicles or as part of an offer - I'm not entirely certain) - you can then take out an extended warranty from Skoda once the 'approved used car' one has expired.

Low mileage may indicate that a car has been mainly used for short journeys where the oil barely gets up to temperature - oil usage is more likely when a car is just used for short journeys.

The one in Canterbury doesn't appear on Skoda's 'Used Car Locator', just Autotrader, which is strange.

I honestly don't know on the leather interior but I've never seen one!

Edited by Brian69

Hi there,

Well went into the dealer today and they have 2 Vrs both hatch back a 13 plate white on 46k and 63 plate black with 22k. I enquired about the black one which has had 2 services and a pollen filter change. Cost £8k and they are offering me 3 year warranty for £600 - first year free.

What do you guys think?

One quick question does anyone have the sat nav amundensen? Is it worth having ? Does it improve the stereo? ( I appreciate it adds DAB)

Thanks a lot everyone.

John

I wouldn't. I have a vrs 63 plate. Cost me £9k. It's had a new engine already that skoda paid for. I don't trust it will last though.

I'll be selling as soon as I've paid it off.

If I were you I'd get the newer 1.8 Seat Ibiza Cupra if you want that size vehicle.

Maybe I'll get a seat Leon Cupra or golf GTI next.

£8600 for 3 years of motoring.

Edited by Chibakun

I wouldn't. I have a vrs 63 plate. Cost me £9k. It's had a new engine already that skoda paid for. I don't trust it will last though.

I'll be selling as soon as I've paid it off.

If I were you I'd get the newer 1.8 Seat Ibiza Cupra if you want that size vehicle.

Maybe I'll get a seat Leon Cupra or golf GTI next.

£8600 for 3 years of motoring.

The 1.8 TSi isn't without its issues... Edited by Brian69

These are the Euro 6 Emission 1.8TSI 192 ps engines and not much in the way of issues yet being reported.

The 1.8 TSI 180ps Leon FR / DSG is a car worth looking at and maybe a better drive than a Ibiza Cupra.

I like them very much, and available in hatch & estate.

• Like 3

Well 300 miles in  since fixes not a drop used on oil, all short work journeys, Normally i would be half way on dipstick. Only thing noticed is engine just sound slightly noisier at start up, but nothing to worry about.

It was quiet as a mouse before the fixes. 

• Like 3

Well 300 miles in  since fixes not a drop used on oil, all short work journeys, Normally i would be half way on dipstick. Only thing noticed is engine just sound slightly noisier at start up, but nothing to worry about.

It was quiet as a mouse before the fixes. 

Don't worry about the engine note being slightly different, ours was the same after the engine change. I felt the original engine had more of an edge to it, slightly more raucous than the replacement. Took us a wee while to get used to the subtle difference.

But the key thing is that the noise wasn't why the car was in for work, it was the oil consumption that was the issue, and the replacement engine, different tone or not, hasn't used a drop in over two years. Maybe I should be getting worried, perhaps they've painted the dipstick to befuddle me.

I hope the fixes have resolved your consumption issues, these are good wee cars when you get them the way they are meant to be.

Reading a couple of the other posts above, George is correct to point out the 1.8 Leon FR/DSG is a corking car, bit more space than the Fabia. Had a lift in one recently, an estate, and thought it was a nice place to be sitting. Quick enough as well.

• Like 1

Hi Sittinbull thanks for the info, being on an original CAVE engine now CAVE+, its now a case of oil sorted & hopefully no long term damage done.

I am getting a dyno run soon as part of some upgrades i am doing so i can see exactly where the engine is at. I expect it will be somewhere in the Middle of 170-180 (bhp)

Must admit i like the LEON 2.0 290PS! Always thought my next car would be an Octavia VRS but the Leon looks smaller (might not be) & like that, not much room for parking outside my house.

Just cannot bear to part with the FABIA now i have no payments left. 

• Like 2

Yes Back on Tesco Momentum now - lot better. Its on the 16th Dec for mods.So have bit of time to get things in order!

Firm I am using is crazy busy but they seem to know what they are doing when it comes to Mods etc.., Done some ridiculous remaps https://www.facebook.com/ADETuning

• 1 month later...

Hi there...  My first post... Question

recently bought a VRS fabia 62 plate without doing the research... Seemed like an interesting ride...  

Thought I got away with it because its not a CAVE motor...

However Bought with 30,000 miles...  have used 5 litres of oil in 2,500 miles... 

Just taken out an extended warranty at nearly £400...

Will the warranty cover this issue...?

Is the cost of squirters and breathing stuff worth taking out the warranty...?

Is the warranty worth the money? 

What else is going to go wrong with the car...

Got a week to cancel the warranty if 

It has a full Skoda service history up till now...

I bought it with a litre of oil in the boot... Should have told me something... What an idiot...

Thanks for the help in advance....

Even new cars come with a litre of oil in the boot.

Best not delay in starting to raise a case if you have an oil user.

The Warranty is all you have to help you, otherwise you could face a bill of several thousand pounds if you have to buy a new engine.

So the first thing will be a Diagnosis of the reason for high oil consumption, probably a 'Official Oil Consumption Test', etc 

?

Do you know the cars Service AND WARRANTY HISTORY? 

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services or a Dealer, see if an Oil Consumption Test has already been done, New Oil Breathers, ECU Update and anything else.