vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

The fuel type is irrelevant to oil consumption and meant to imply it is getting what Skoda recommend. I.e 98 ron fuel.

<SNIP>

I believe that Skoda recommend fuel from 95 RON to 98 RON - 97 RON is well within that range and as you say, it is unlikely to have anything to do with oil consumption.

<SNIP

As for the occasional thrash with a hot engine this is to burn off condensation from short journeys and clean up anything coked up internally. . .

<SNIP

So what you are saying is that a HOT engine is not able to burn off condensation or clean up anything coked up internally? Thermodynamic is weird.

Do feel free to say that you give it a thrash every time you drive it because that is fun, that would make some sense ;)

I believe that Skoda recommend fuel from 95 RON to 98 RON - 97 RON is well within that range and as you say, it is unlikely to have anything to do with oil consumption.

So what you are saying is that a HOT engine is not able to burn off condensation or clean up anything coked up internally? Thermodynamic is weird.

Do feel free to say that you give it a thrash every time you drive it because that is fun, that would make some sense ;)

Oh, we have a smart arse :)

I'm saying an engine that is used for short journeys is NOT able to burn off condensation properly or coked up components such as the plugs. That's common sense as much. But you know this but chose to be pedantic about it rather than helpful. ;)

If you know different then feel free to educate!

Edited by Mr OCD
  • Like 2

Skoda / VW do not recommend a fuel from 95-98 Octane.

Please link to or post some document where they do.

They recommend 98 Octane and you can run on 97 or 95 Octane because to get EU Type Approval and for EU testing they are run on 95 Octane.

As 98 Octane is not available widely or at filling stations in the UK then 99 ron minimum is a good choice for many.

In Mainland Europe those that run 100-102 ron which is widely available might like to give their experience between using that or 95 ron.

You are looking for more efficient running, and you are looking to reduce Bore Wash with an engine that is very prone to Bore Wash & wear and tear.

This is why Long Life Oil and Variable / Long Servicing / Oil & Filter changes might not be 'Simply Clever'.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

They say GTI / R,  but not if this includes the Polo GTI Twincharger 1.4 TSI 132kw, but then why not since as many find Super Unleaded of 98 or higher octane makes quite a difference, in emissions, efficient running and economy with fuel use, and the life of consumables like spark plugs.

post-86161-0-16181700-1476796688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

Hi All.

I haven't posted for a while. But an update.

63 plate CTHE VRS.

Currently on 68483miles.

Just seen a change of oil top up routine( normally it uses none)

Now

67142 oil dip at max

68483 oil at minimum

Had to top up with 1ltr.

I travel around 80miles a day on motorways, not much stop start.

Looks like it have to keep an eye on it.

Strange problems occurring. 

The EPC light has come on twice now. No fault codes have been stored and a engine switch off and on again seems to fix the problem? 

Had the meeting got the all the fixes + ECU update offered for £500, manager was more than helpful, I am paying extra for a new back box on top £247 + he agreed to fit some Denso's (skj20cr-a8) that I have bought from Opie oils, 1-2 days of a job said wont rush it so get courtesy car.

He also offered to put me a 'straight pipe mod in' whilst the exhaust back box is out if I pay for the part, reckoned it will give 5 - 10 bhp and sound louder.  :p

Someone in the workshop has done same mod to their Fabia VRS. I am unsure on this straight pipe offer. What does straight pipe look like ( I presume no cat) and needs a silencer of sorts? Whats the pros / cons of this. I am not really bothered about emissions since VW aren't either.

Edited by Kobayashi

Yes there will be a Cat, they are removing the box with the resonator. and you are keeping a back box.

Personally i would not bother, having had it before to see what like.

The emissions you need to bother about are those at a MOT, so now you know were to go for your MOT.

Obviously they know they can not De-cat your car because as a business they know that is illegal.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

yeah outside noise though some have done other mods as well so i am not sure of the exact noise that will be replicated, I mean these cars are really quiet for how sporty they actually are. I am really tempted to take him up on the 'offer'

Would it be like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhTcHLLL_pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGLgGCXuUek

Edited by Kobayashi

Just as an aside as I know Koboyashi is worried about the cost of a potential engine change not covered by warranty, finding a used unit you could trust is part of the problem. The cost is another. 

Ours replaced under warranty was a £4500 job, not including the cost of a courtesy car for a week provided by Skoda or any other associated costs. Thankfully they covered everything at the time.

Contrast this with my son's friend, he has a 2011 ave engined Cupra Bocanegra which of course runs the same gearbox/ engine combination as the mk2 vRS. Admittedly he has extensively modified the car, miltek, intercooler, APR stage 2 remap etc and was running a safe (or so he thought) 235hp with no oil issues. Until very recently.

He has unfortunately found out the hard way that these engines are made of chocolate, and has now had to find a replacement. He has managed to source a used reconditioned cave engine on 32k for £1200, but must now add fitting costs to that, and still won't have great confidence that the replacement unit will be trouble free.Unfortunately, this spells the end of his venture with VAG motors, he had read up on the engine problems but thought as he had a good one he would be fine. Not so.

I hope your dealings with the Skoda garage bring you the wee car you want, ours is a cracker, now. But it took a replacement new engine to get it that way.

• Like 1

Just as an aside as I know Koboyashi is worried about the cost of a potential engine change not covered by warranty, finding a used unit you could trust is part of the problem. The cost is another. 

Ours replaced under warranty was a £4500 job, not including the cost of a courtesy car for a week provided by Skoda or any other associated costs. Thankfully they covered everything at the time.

Contrast this with my son's friend, he has a 2011 ave engined Cupra Bocanegra which of course runs the same gearbox/ engine combination as the mk2 vRS. Admittedly he has extensively modified the car, miltek, intercooler, APR stage 2 remap etc and was running a safe (or so he thought) 235hp with no oil issues. Until very recently.

He has unfortunately found out the hard way that these engines are made of chocolate, and has now had to find a replacement. He has managed to source a used reconditioned cave engine on 32k for £1200, but must now add fitting costs to that, and still won't have great confidence that the replacement unit will be trouble free.Unfortunately, this spells the end of his venture with VAG motors, he had read up on the engine problems but thought as he had a good one he would be fine. Not so.

I hope your dealings with the Skoda garage bring you the wee car you want, ours is a cracker, now. But it took a replacement new engine to get it that way.

Great to read your contribution Sittingbull !

• Like 1

So who owns the highest and lowest mileage CAVE or CTHE still with the original power unit in the UK

Are they  still members?

Edited by vrskeith

@Sittingbull, I feel for your sons friend (was it cylinder 3 by any chance),  sound like that spec he could take his car to race wars (fast n furious!)

When i mentioned to manager about coil pack 3 spark plug 3 fouling 6 months ago + the broken tip, the manager said it did concern him greatly as could be heat spot, which will lead to total failure (eventually), but on the plus side i had made it to 35K miles with only this 1 issue, that so far has not re-occured on standard skoda spark plugs.

I have driven my card hard at times and the time the plug tip had failed i was late for a funeral and it was really cold day. Had it in sports mode from Cold. (Bad idea)

I will never do this again!

With the manager @ Skoda we agreed as this is our second car that is worth doing all the fixes, + uprating to Denso's. Im only on 35K miles, another year will be 39-40K

EDIT : Manager just phoned advised not to go ahead with straight pipe mod. Too much maintenance of 'U Bend'? More petrol use etc..

Car is booked in saturday for: Squirter, Breather fixes ECU update + new back box. All Standard spec.

Edited by Kobayashi

Obvious Advice of the Day: Always check your oil levels on a level surface unlike me. My new driveway is on a slant which means when I checked it was showing a 25% decrease. Checked today in a car park which i know is level and it was fine. :) Lol me hey

• Like 1

update looks like the injector mod and breather mod fixed mine 1500 miles still at top of dip stick shame wanted an A class

Good to hear. Hopefully it will stay at the top up for as long as possible.

So who owns the highest and lowest mileage CAVE or CTHE still with the original power unit in the UK

Are they still members?

25,000 miles original CAVE engine (2012) - original engine Edited by Mr OCD
  • Like 1

The first post here says that:

"

For Annual Fixed Servicing the approved oil is VW 502 00 (5W-40) -or- VW 504 00 Long Life Full Synthetic. (5W-30)

For Variable Fixed Servicing it is VW 504 00 Long Life Full Synthetic. (5W-30)"

What is the difference between Annual servicing and Two year servicing?

Why is different oil (5W-30 and (5W-40) used?

VW 504 00 spec is Long Life OIl as needed for using if doing Variable / Flexible Servicing and changes longer than 10,000 miles.

VW 502 00 is suitable for Fixed Servicing @ 9,400 (10,000) miles.

Early Twinchargers were on Fixed Servicing, but Long Life oil is filled at the Factory & mostly at Main Dealer Servicing even when cars are getting Fixed Servicing.

It really is a bit risky leaving oil and the same filter in a Twincharger for 18,000-19,000 miles.

& Long Life oil VW 504 00 as recommended has a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger has the oil hotted than when VW 502 00 is used.

Using VW 502 00 and changing oil & filter every 10,000 miles or less is not penny pinching, 

its protecting your engine better than buying the VW Recommended 5w 30 (VW504 00)

You decide, have the VW504 00 put in at services if you want, but think seriously about leaving that in for more than 10,000 miles.

Or just think what works well in your engine and maybe opt to use VW 502 00 spec oil.  (5w 40 Full Synthetic.)

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

@Sittingbull, I feel for your sons friend (was it cylinder 3 by any chance),  sound like that spec he could take his car to race wars (fast n furious!)

When i mentioned to manager about coil pack 3 spark plug 3 fouling 6 months ago + the broken tip, the manager said it did concern him greatly as could be heat spot, which will lead to total failure (eventually), but on the plus side i had made it to 35K miles with only this 1 issue, that so far has not re-occured on standard skoda spark plugs.

I have driven my card hard at times and the time the plug tip had failed i was late for a funeral and it was really cold day. Had it in sports mode from Cold. (Bad idea)

I will never do this again!

With the manager @ Skoda we agreed as this is our second car that is worth doing all the fixes, + uprating to Denso's. Im only on 35K miles, another year will be 39-40K

EDIT : Manager just phoned advised not to go ahead with straight pipe mod. Too much maintenance of 'U Bend'? More petrol use etc..

Car is booked in saturday for: Squirter, Breather fixes ECU update + new back box. All Standard spec.

Kobayashi, I have a feeling but would need to ask again to be sure that it was cylinder 1. And yes, he did take the car regularly to Crail for the drag strip, where the Boc caught out many more "illustrious" opponents thanks to the power to weight ratio and a remapped dsg. Among the victims include mk6 and 7 R, Civics, Cupra 280. But ultimately the real victim was his own wee car, it's the one lying kaputen waiting on an engine going in.

He's bought a Merc now.

Sittingbull, 

Where is he getting this reconditioned used engine, and is it reconditioned as was rebuilt as one of the early failing ones?

Is it a really trusted seller?

I will be through your way this afternoon.

Sorry George, I haven't been on due to fighting infection in both lungs for a couple of weeks now, sorry I missed you in Hamilton. I'm led to believe in fact the replacement engine isn't reconditioned as previously thought by me, it's a used engine. He's having it fitted at the moment I believe.

VW 504 00 spec is Long Life OIl as needed for using if doing Variable / Flexible Servicing and changes longer than 10,000 miles.

VW 502 00 is suitable for Fixed Servicing @ 9,400 (10,000) miles.

Early Twinchargers were on Fixed Servicing, but Long Life oil is filled at the Factory & mostly at Main Dealer Servicing even when cars are getting Fixed Servicing.

It really is a bit risky leaving oil and the same filter in a Twincharger for 18,000-19,000 miles.

& Long Life oil VW 504 00 as recommended has a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger has the oil hotted than when VW 502 00 is used.

Using VW 502 00 and changing oil & filter every 10,000 miles or less is not penny pinching, 

its protecting your engine better than buying the VW Recommended 5w 30 (VW504 00)

You decide, have the VW504 00 put in at services if you want, but think seriously about leaving that in for more than 10,000 miles.

Or just think what works well in your engine and maybe opt to use VW 502 00 spec oil.  (5w 40 Full Synthetic.)

I concur, ours will be on VW 502 00 now, oil dropped every 5k and oil/ filter every 10k. No messing about. We know we're lucky in that we've got a good one, the hard thing appears to be keeping them that way so anything we can do to make it easier we will do.That's us covered 29k on replacement engine and still (touches wood) no oil use.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Fabia part of this forum as I currently own a Citigo Elegance Auto. I drive mostly in London in it and it does the school run sometimes too.

I've several kids (4) and the problem with the Citigo is that it only has 2 seat belts in the back. Hence the reason for looking seriously at the Fabia particularly the VRS. A 14 plate is coming out about £150 a month on PCP which is a touch less than the Citigo which I've had from new on a 64 plate. So the VRS fits the bill perfectly for something for me to drive to work and to do the school run in with the occasional motorway run.

Speaking to my local Skoda dealer in Croydon the other day I mentioned the Fabia VRS to the salesman but he suggested that this was not a good choice as some of them had had engine/oil problems (that was before I read anything about this on this forum). The salesman advised me to go for the Octavia VRS which he was driving - 220 BHP petrol which ofcourse was about £22K on a 16 plate about £350 a month on PCP which I just couldn't afford and wouldn't get the economy out of either.

I have a 7 seat car for when all 6 of us go out together or on holiday so the Fabia fits perfectly as our second car. I had many years ago a Toyota Corolla 1.6 GTI which was great fun to drive and I was looking for a bit of fun but also practicality which particularly the estate VRS would offer. I did consider a Series III fabia in an SE/SEL spec but it just doesn't enthrall me and looks a bit boring. Probably great to drive though as the petrol autos go to 60 in around 9 seconds and have plenty of toys.

I think you know where I'm going with this........

So the ultimate question is should I go for a 13 or 14 plate Fabia VRS as I'm quite worried regarding the oil / engine issues and don't want to end up walking into a mindfield of problems once I take the car on. A good example from Skoda costs around £9k which is 2-3K cheaper than a Series III Fabia and I really like the look of the VRS - I bet it drives fantastic too.

I've read through most of this thread but any advise before I approach the dealer on Tuesday to find me a Fabia VRS would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards