AIR CON SERVICE-CON?

Just had my second year service (20,000) and when ringing to book it i was advised that the car was due an air con service which was being offered at a special price- I enquired what this service involved and was told that all gas in the system is replaced with new gas and a dye to show uo any leaks in the future. this would also get rid of all the 'nasty bacteria' and make things smell nice, I was advised told that as the car was nearing end of warranty this could be worthwhile. I declined to take them up on the offer as:

1. the car has an extended five year warranty

2. I thought that the air con system was sealed for life and only needed attention if leaking?

Anyone got any views on this?

Wrong to both the above your system will need re-gassing at some point I would have had it done if the price was good. The cabin will start to smell if the filters aren't changed as bacteria grows in it and trust me it stinks. The machine will first extract the contents of the AC system and measure it, there are many more chemicals / oils not just gas it then fills your ac system to the correct gas and fluid levels. The dealers were not trying to pull a fast one as far as I can tell although its your prerogative to decline if you don't feel its worth it. I don't know what the special price was so can't give my opinion. My 55 Plate VRS has no A/C atm and stinks the cabin out but will cost more than the car is worth to repair so I'm not getting it fixed. Although I might just replace the filter to make the smell go away as they are cheap.

Like most 'extra' services the garages offer these days, they are for their benefit and not yours.  You were right to say no. 

Agree.

At two years old, it hasn't had time to need re-gassing. Only filter relevant is the pollen filter which should be on the normal service schedule.

Con.

My local dealership recently advised me that I needed an entire new exhaust system @ £800.  What was wrong? The wire mesh cover over the flexi joint had come away at one end. One stainless tyrap sorted it for me, with five minutes of my time.

Off topic? Yes, but VAG are in the business of making money, not optimising your motor car.

Re post #5.

That is Volkswagen the parent company of the Volkswagen Group or Volkswagen Audi.

The Cars in the Volswagen Group in the similar class are Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat and the share Parts, Platforms and 

much like Service Schedules / Guidelines and Warranties etc.

Pity they can not all share the info on Care, Servicing and Maintenance with the people that buy the cars 

and the Franchised Dealers that Sell & Service them.

Even get the Owners Manuals Translated from German, Czech and Spanish into English as to read the same with the same meaning.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

Up sell when ever there is an oppertunity, and have private customers paying more than Fleet buyers in Service and Maintenance, 

and if the stupid people are confused by us causing confusion it is not our fault they should have bought the German Models.

You will notice over time that your vehicles ability to reach and maintain cold temps will become more difficult, as has been said the recharge also includes lubricants that keep the many seals in the system in good condition as well.

Every 2/3 years is about average and will cost you about £80.00 to re-charge and disinfect the system.

I had mine done last year. The car was just coming up to 3 years old at the time. I literally had no ice cold air blowing through, just as if I had the cold air blower on, so I took it to ATS and they gassed it for about 40 quid I think. Pretty good price IMO. I'll prob just get it done every couple of years.

It's recommended every two years.

Yes you state it is in warranty but they would not pay for a replacement compressor if you had neglected to stick to their 2 year interval and it broke.

Phil

Id get it done dependent on price ever experienced the sweaty feet smell they use an 'aircon bomb' usually and then use an automated machine to reclaim the gas from the car do a leak check and recharge it with some added die

im no expert but my mk1 was 7.5 years old and the air con worked as good as the first day, make sure you run it once a fortnight (they say month but what the hell) and this should stop anything drying out and causing a leak

my mk2 was 3.5 years old and again it worked flawlessly, diff make but our 308 is 8 years old and yup you guessed it, works perfectly

if it aint broke dont fix it

im like post #6, at 4 years old they said i needed a new radiator, cars was still running on that same one 3.5 years later and never used a drop of coolant, they just try it on. im sure youll know when it needs doing

Edited by the mad monk

My observations. Firstly this is not a truly scientific approach so I accept others may have different  experiences.

1. My brother and I have had environmentally controlled vehicles (i.e. Climatronic equivalent) for nearly 10 years.

2. My dad had an air conditioned vehicle over the same period (until recently when he got a Fabia with Climatronic)

Neither my brother or I have had any need to have a re-gas. He changes his cars every 3-5 years, I still have one of mine that is now over 15 years old and this year is the 1st summer that I have thought it is less than perfect. My dad on the other hand was having to re-gas every 2 years.

What's the difference? My brother and I rarely turned off the air-con so the seals are permanently exercised. My dad turned the air con off unless it was hot and as a result also suffered with a damp vehicle over the winter.

• Like 1

The above post made perfect sense. Use it or lose it! Dealers DSO quote two year replacement of refrigerant, along with brake fluid. I recon its more likely to be 3-4 years as although they break down slowly, they will become less effective over time and as a manufacturer, Skoda (And most others) say two years to (1) make money and (2) To eliminate the risk of the vehicle failing prematurely and getting lawsuits!  (Win-Win for them).

So, don't do it if you don't want to but the air con will not be quite as effective after a while, degrading slowly and your brakes (In my example) Will become less effective too, becoming spongier and taking longer to stop the vehicle. Again, slow drop off but drive a new car after running a five year old one that you THINK is still "As new" and then decide!

Oh, MY dealer, BTW, changed the gas but refused to charge as the car was no colder. I had to have a fan replacement as it packed up and when they changed it, they needed to re-drain the gas and refill again. They charged for the fan but still waived the gas cost as it was new gas.  

Not ALL dealers are stealers!  (Big thank you to Preston Skoda- Forest Gate).

Edited by mrgf

PFE1, my handbook tells me to service my 2009 Fabia estate's ac every three years. It costs me £59 at my main Skoda dealer who also puts the dye in the system with the new Gas/lube. I have to say that the ac now works much better than it did. It becomes cold in less than a minute even on a warm day and very very cold indeed after 4-5 mins. It didn't do that before so I think I spent £59 wisely and my warranty for the ac is intact should anything happen. On later models they do now recommend to have it serviced at the 2 year point I believe as the guys are saying. The dealer is not ripping you off.

Why on earth would any air conditioning unit result in noxious odours? The A/C should cool the air, the air should never come into contact with the refrigerant. Replacing the filter may make sense.

I know people who have worked in Saudi Arabia, they had the A/C running 24/7 - never recharged. When was your Fridge / Freezer last recharged?

All sounds like a scam to me.

You get moisture build up around the evaporator, it cools down and heats up, giving an ideal environment for bacteria to flourish. In cars where the AC isn't fully working the condensate is not produced in large enough quantities to flush the bacteria out, so it makes sense to have the AC serviced so that it is working to its full potential.

It is certainly useful to have aircon serviced periodically. The exact period of this will be debatable and of course will vary accordingly to model or manufacturer.

This might help explain why car aircon is not as reliable as something like a fridge:

"Unlike the faithful household white good, automotive air-con has to withstand not only a wide range of external temperatures but it also overcomes mechanical vibration and the cooling radiator (the condenser) has to be tolerant of being bombarded by dirt, grit and other detritus as the car moves. Additionally, solid pipes cannot be used solely to house the system’s refrigerant gas under pressure, or else they would fracture. Therefore, flexible rubber pipes are built into the system. Over time, leaks can develop at the joints, which discharge the system gradually and will affect its efficiency. A lack of maintenance also contributes to increased leak rates."

Edited by homesqueeze

Air Conditioning in vehicles involves Refrigeration but it includes humidity and conditioning air in vehicles and is not just about cooling.

Fridges and A/C or Climate Control in Cars are rather different.

(a Fridge in a car is similar to a Domestic Fridge.)

I have almost identical cars, 1 with AC and one without it was never fitted,

funnily they live in the same conditions and the one without AC gets cooled and dried out with the windows open a bit and never steams up when the weather is damp.

The one with A/C steams up often and is actually a PITA and needs the A/C used.

(and even though it is serviced, you get the bluey haze / film forming on the screen over time which is also a PITA)