Diesel vRS mpg

I've been mucking around looking at all sorts of cars for a few months now but I keep coming back to the vRS!

I'm slightly concerned about fuel consumption as I do around 20k miles a year, mainly on the motorway. Can you post you average mpg please and an idea of the type of driving you tend to do?

Looking at the build dates thread I may need to get a wriggle on as I need it for the end of October.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Andy

I have a 64 plate DSG VRS TDI

On a long motorway runs (most of my driving) I tend to get mid 50s mpg at the usual motorway speeds (I can tend to have a heavy foot)

Around town it isn't as good though, if I'm working away and my wife is using the car she will get late 30s - early 40s on 10-20 mile journeys

I would get late 20s around town

I have had a great experience thus far with mine, glad I picked it over other company car options

If you look at Fuelly you'll see that the lowest for a 2014 diesel VRS is around 42mpg and the highest 55mpg.  Most people seem to be getting in the high 40s.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/octavia/2014?engineconfig_id=13154&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id=73468

Edited by iriches

I've had mine nearly a year now and done around 15k miles - a mixture of local trips, cross country A and B roads and good proportion of motorways, and fairly frequent trips into central London, so quite a varied mix really.

My long-term average is about 42mpg, which you may not think is very good.  However, I don't see the point of having a sporty car and not enjoying the performance, so on country roads I generally keep the revs in the 2500-4000 range where the torque is wonderfully smooth and strong and I'd rather not tell you my normal speed on quiet motorways - suffice it say that I wouldn't expect good fuel consumption then.  In some situations - for example driving up the M3 with its interminable road works with a 50mph speed limit, my average quickly reaches 50mpg or better, and some cross country drives on rural A-roads can easily be in the high 40s.   

Official fuel consumption figures are of course almost meaningless - in fact I think there are moves to replace them with something more realistic.  I was expecting to get somewhere around what I'm getting so I am pleased.  It's almost exactly 50% better than my previous car - a Golf GTi Mk5, which used to give only 28mpg overall;  also, of course, diesel is cheaper than super-unleaded, which that required.

If I want to I can get 55-60mpg on a motorway run sticking to the speed limits. In fact on a airport run last week I achieved 65.2mpg cruising at 60 mph at 11pm at night. My average however is 50.9mpg which is a 50/50 mix of motorway and town driving. The lowest I've ever had was low 40s to a tankful but only due to the 'style' of driving.

Depends how you drive it I guess, but not much point keeping a vRS under 4k revs before each change, so the economy takes the hit for the performance. To an extent anyway in my eyes.

Depends if you've studied the powercurve of the diesel vRS which points out you should be changing under 4,000 for optimum gear changes as the power completely dies off after this point

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Thanks guys, I torn now as I need to be doing 50mpg or above to break even with the fuel allowance from work. I normally drive with cruise control set to 70mph on the motorways for work so it sounds like I have half a chance of achieving this.

When I'm driving at the weekends I don't really mind what the fuel consumption so it doesn't matter that it'll drop a fair bit around town/A roads.

Went to see one in the flesh today, lovely car, very similar to my Passat inside which is to be expected I suppose. Less than impressed with the customer service however!

Long term I've averaged 53.5mpg. My commute is mostly along the m27. Driving it hard along A roads high 40s low 50s is easy. With sensible driving abroad recently it did 580 miles on a tank with a reported range of 65 miles. Filling up I only managed to get 44 litres in and the car reported 59.something mpg.

My driving style hasn't changed but for comparision my previous 2005 Seat Altea 2.0 TDi Sport (140bhp) with careful driving could not acheive much better than high 40s.

• Like 1

My average is just under 50 over 18k and that includes lots of 10 mile school runs then longer trips with work on the motorway.

A recent 300 round trip all motorway returned 64mpg as an average for the day. That was on cruise but with some 50 road work restrictions.

Long term average is at 49.7, but this includes a lot of short journeys... On long trips, it can achieve 56 mpg easily.... I find that my economy has yet again improved once I improved the engine... both my petrols had better mpg once chipped, Im running a dtuk box now and the economy has got better...

The box has the effect of letting me drive calmly most of the time, because I know that when I need it, the performance is there.

Prior to that, I had to be in the' powerband' - because I felt as standard the car is weak. You had to keep it in the sweet spot to make any progress whatsoever, therefore, it was less economical. It was similar to riding a two stroke.  

It lasted two weeks in standard tune.

Better now though, double the mpg im used to, diseasal is cheaper to buy and I get 4000 more miles out of the front tyres... now up to 10000... win win

Depends if you've studied the powercurve of the diesel vRS which points out you should be changing under 4,000 for optimum gear changes as the power completely dies off after this point

Interesting, isn't it a bit odd not going above 4k revs in a sporty car? I went near double that in my Alfa.

Interesting, isn't it a bit odd not going above 4k revs in a sporty car? I went near double that in my Alfa.

The problem with turbos (and diesels)

• Like 2

Just to follow up on my previous post here...   My average of 42mpg seems to be about the worst of anyone here but I can confirm that if mpg is your priority it's VERY easy to achieve much better numbers, as almost everyone else who has posted here has confirmed.  Keeping to 70 or less on motorways, changing up sooner rather than later, and avoiding too much acceleration and braking would I'm sure easily allow me achieve a long-term average of over 50mpg.   It's good to know this in case fuel prices go up dramatically again.

Thanks for the replies, seems like the vRS is a goer then! Just to double check, variable servicing is anything upto 18k miles/2yrs depending on how the car is driven?

Yes, the service interval is decided by the car based on journey type (short/long) etc.

To add another answer to your original question, I am getting a long term average of 53mpg over the 20,000 miles I have done with mine. Mixed driving really. Cruising at 60-65mph has seen mpg figures of about 60mpg.

Thanks guys, I torn now as I need to be doing 50mpg or above to break even with the fuel allowance from work. I normally drive with cruise control set to 70mph on the motorways for work so it sounds like I have half a chance of achieving this.

You possibly would achieve 50mpg but just wondering if you are you willing to pay any premium for having something 'more sporty / fun' over something guaranteed to do over 50. I know its money but people do get concerned about mpg a lot.

Mine is at worst 43mpg up to 10mpg more than this depending on how lightfooted I am - a bit like all above.

If you look at the figures, based on say 1500 business miles per month (I.e. 18k miles year) at 50mpg this equates to 136 litres used, at 43mpg (assuming worst case) then this is 158 litres used - difference is 22 litres at say 1.20 = £26.40 per month premium. If diesel goes up to say 1.30 per litre then £28.60 per month premium - I personally don't beat myself up about this too much, and you probably will get nearer to 50mpg as discussed. Obviously if your doing galactic business miles than you'd need to assess this.