Bike rack on vRS estate

My little lad is getting into mountain biking and at the moment I can put his bike in the back (with a seat down) but shortly I will need to be going out with him and so I'll need to take two bikes. I have one that straps to the rear of the car. Has anyone used one on a vRS estate? The top straps will be touching the spoiler and my head says this is not a good idea! I also have roof bars and could purchase bike bits for that.

Any thoughts?

With the Vrs (estate?) I think your best option is going to be roof bar or towbar mounted racks due to the spolier on the top of the boot.

Having said that, the Saris website does say that the one linked to above is suitable for cars with a spoiler.

I just put duck tape over the edges of the boot lid, spoiler, rear bumper where the bike rack will contact any painted surface. Double up tape / check security of bike rack after 30mins drive on a long journey.

If you like your bikes then go for a good quality roof / towbar system.

I lost a bike from a halfords carrier on the back of my friends car..... Never again.

Now use Thule roof bars and bike carriers. They are well made and easy to install.

Ps mine is the VRS hatch.

You've got an estate car, any reason why you don't put both bikes in the boot? Just remove the wheels?

We went to the Alps last July, 4 of us in the car with luggage for 4 adults for a 2 week holiday plus my bike in the boot, nothing on racks outside the car or even in the cabin. 

You've got an estate car, any reason why you don't put both bikes in the boot? Just remove the wheels?

We went to the Alps last July, 4 of us in the car with luggage for 4 adults for a 2 week holiday plus my bike in the boot, nothing on racks outside the car or even in the cabin. 

Just that I race, and have several bikes to take, including spares for the team car.... :nerd:

Plus, no matter how carefully you drive, the bikes rubs together during the journey and you get the carbon fibre all scratched in transit.... its just simpler with the roof rack...

In response to an earlier comment, the cheapest Halfords roof bars manages fine with my top end road and time trial bikes....

Pro teams aren't worried about aerodynamic drag and noise (when driving).

By the way, life long cyclist here, also raced at national level (in the RAF) on the road and MTB, so I know where the pain points are.

Andy do you have a boot lip protector on your car? Do you think with a boot lip protector the bike rack would still allow you to hook the feet at the bottom edge of the boot?

With the rack fitted there is approx 3mm gap between the feet and the bumper (6mm gap between bottom edge of the boot and the bumper)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been using using a Saris Bones RS with no issues.

https://www.saris.com/product/bones-rs

hi mate just reprising this thread. I'm thinking of getting one of these, but I'm after some guidance. Do the bikes obscure the reg plate and lights once loaded? So will a light board and reg plate be necessary? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the bike rack lifts well above the lights (the Saris ones don't) then it is technically obstructing the rear lights and number plate making a lighting board a requirement.

Something so many bike owners seems unaware of or just don't care about.

Only racks like this: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/361102-bike-rack-on-vrs-estate/?hl=%2Bbike+%2Brack+%2Bvrs+%2Bestate#entry4492253

or this: http://www.montblancgroup.com/rear-mounted/7-rear-standing-three-bikes-bike-carrier-standard-50.html

do lift them high enough.

However, I believe there is something about the 3rd brake light needing to be visible from 30 degrees below it at a set distance - which these racks would not allow.

For me, a towbar mounted rack with light board is the only way to go. And, as you have  roof spoiler, may be the only secure option (or on roof bars).

Edited by KBPhoto

Unless the bike rack lifts well above the lights (the Saris ones don't) then it is technically obstructing the rear lights and number plate making a lighting board a requirement.

Something so many bike owners seems unaware of or just don't care about.

Only racks like this: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/361102-bike-rack-on-vrs-estate/?hl=%2Bbike+%2Brack+%2Bvrs+%2Bestate#entry4492253

or this: http://www.montblancgroup.com/rear-mounted/7-rear-standing-three-bikes-bike-carrier-standard-50.html

do lift them high enough.

However, I believe there is something about the 3rd brake light needing to be visible from 30 degrees below it at a set distance - which these racks would not allow.

For me, a towbar mounted rack with light board is the only way to go. And, as you have roof spoiler, may be the only secure option (or on roof bars).

Thanks for this mate. My problem is I don't have a tow bar and my car is on PCH. Roof bars are looking like my only option now and I really didn't fancy that as I know that at one time or another, I'm going to forget and drive into a barrier. Ha ha!!

• Like 1

I know this comment is largely irrelevant because it's replying to an old post, but just to comment that I have the audi/Lidl dirt cheap roof bars. They are great. I use them mainly for timber but you can mount all the halfords/thule bike holders. However, they do whistle a bit at 60 - 80mph. I dont know whether the thule ones, which are 4 times the price, also do this or not.

I know this comment is largely irrelevant because it's replying to an old post, but just to comment that I have the audi/Lidl dirt cheap roof bars. They are great. I use them mainly for timber but you can mount all the halfords/thule bike holders. However, they do whistle a bit at 60 - 80mph. I dont know whether the thule ones, which are 4 times the price, also do this or not.

Thanks mate. I'm really torn on this one, as you can get some proper cheap roof bars and also pay a decent amount. I suppose I have to decide how often I'll be using them and whether a whistle / extra drag will be tolerable for that amount of use. Are Aldi / Lidl still stocking anything like yours?

The standard square section Thule ones barely whistle when nothing is in them. Only noticeable at higher speeds on my Octavia Mk2 estate.

I'd go for roof bars and hang a sign on your rear view mirror to remind you of the extra height.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/roof-rack-reminders-could-save-your-bike-33159/

Edited by KBPhoto

The standard square section Thule ones barely whistle when nothing is in them. Only noticeable at higher speeds on my Octavia Mk2 estate.

I'd go for roof bars and hang a sign on your rear view mirror to remind you of the extra height.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/roof-rack-reminders-could-save-your-bike-33159/

That sign IS the way to go. Reading that article also made me feel slightly better about potentially being a total doofus!! Ha ha!

Another vote for roof bars and bike carriers, I've had all manner of boot mounted carries over the years and they always cause damage.

I had a tow bar mounted fitted to my last car, but it cost £600 to have the tow bar fitted.

I've got a pair of these fitted to my VRS estate, they're silent, I leave them on permanently

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/complete-all-in-one-racks/thule-wingbar-edge-9584-_-958400

I've also got a pair of these for our bikes

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/roof-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-proride-591-_-591018