1.4 TSI Is it Powerful Enough

Collected last night a Superb III SE L Exec 1.4TSI 150 DSG hatchback in Petrol Blue Metallic with Beige Interior.  Extras include Heated windscreen, rear wiper, rear camera, colour multidot and travel assist.

Having changed from a Skoda II  Elegance 170 TDi 4x4 I can say that the 1.4 TSI is both a great deal quieter and the DSG is seamlessly smooth and would appear to be plenty powerful enough.

Pictures please! :)

pbsuperb                                                                                                                                                                             Will look forward to your your reports on the superb with this engine if you would be so kind                                                                                                                                                  

• Like 1

Good review of the new Superb overall here. He also is driving the 1.4 ACT engine. It's in German though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM6e-Hbb-Uw

General consensus it's powerful enough even for driving fast on the Autobahn but for him personally doesn't like to give full throttle all the time.

He compares it to a Golf GTE (the hybrid one with the 1.4 in) and says with ACT you almost don't need a Golf GTE to save fuel.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

why are they making it so difficult I was set on the 1.4ACT may just go back to 2.0diesel at this rate!! Help

I have one on order. But I know what you mean I am waiting to see what happens it might still be ok. Fingers crossed I just don't want to go back to diesel but I want power and economy and this is a car that should deliver both I hope.

• Like 1

I must admit that the whole family love the colour combination of Petrol Blue metallic and Beige leather.

Me too. The car looks great. Congratulations. Enjoy it! :clap:

From Auto Express website.:

Volkswagen has also revealed that its own internal investigation into the diesel emissions scandal has uncovered a group of engineers manipulating the mpg fuel economy and CO2 emissions ratings for 800,000 vehicles. Several VW engineers have since admitted to rigging the figures, claiming that targets from former CEO Martin Winterkorn were too difficult to meet, according to German newspaper Bild am Sonntag.

The majority of the cars affected are said to be diesel models, but a VW spokesman has now confirmed that specific petrol engines are also affected. The 1.4-litre 'Cylinder on Demand' petrol engine - found in several smaller Audi, VW, Skoda and SEAT models - is the unit under suspicion.

VW says it is engaged in dialogue with the type approval agencies to determine what these findings will mean for the company and its customers but the estimated economic risk of 2billion Euro (around £1.4billion) underlines the seriousness of the findings. The Group has also said it will pay for extra taxes incurred by owners of affected vehicles. 

Take from that what you will.

I think this engine is only in the Superb not sure about the Octavia. let see what effects this will have on the figures for the car, Glad mines not due to arrive until January give them time to sort this out, and for me to decide whether to accept the car or not.

• Like 1

Today I even tried the Adaptive Cruise Control on a single carriageway road at 50 MPH.  There is right turn on this road where some traffic turns off  right. The car slowed to stationary as the cars in front slowed to turn right, and when the cars had turned, just started accelerating to 50. Eerie but amazing.

Out of curiosity, if for example a deer ran out in front of the car, would the ACC slam the anchors on to maximum effect even if you've still got your foot on the accelerator?

Foot on accelerator overrides the ACC. Re your deer scenario - ACC will only slow you down at a certain rate of deceleration. If ACC determines that it cannot stop you before colliding with the object within the given parameters then you will get an alarm in the car and Front Assist takes over. This is what will try to stop you in time. I'm not sure if this overrides you if you are accelerating. I don't think it would though. Having had it happen a couple of times, the second that warning sound comes on, you're off the accelerator any ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Link from the Emissions Scandal Thread : http://www.am-online.com/news/car-manufacturer-news/2015/11/12/dealers-required-to-give-disclaimer-to-buyers-of-new-volkswagen-audi-skoda-and-seat-cars

Superb 1.4 TSI engine appears to be in the frame. Anyone been contacted by their dealer?

Strange how that is the only website I can find online with such news....

Emailed my dealer today and asked if 2.0l tdi was affected in my new superb and his reply was they have just had a list from skoda and the only engine affect is the 1.4tsi in the new superb

======================================

Seems to be borne by other members here see above

• Like 1

Strange how that is the only website I can find online with such news....

I checked with my dealer and the 1.4 is in the frame for the cheating on the mpg and emissions. They got a letter from vw yesterday to inform people of the issue, they don't know what is effected or by how much. But any extra road tax cost will be covered by vw for the life of the car but not the extra fuel costs. Talk about taking the shine of the new car before you even get it.

• Like 2

I checked with my dealer and the 1.4 is in the frame for the cheating on the mpg and emissions. They got a letter from vw yesterday to inform people of the issue, they don't know what is effected or by how much. But any extra road tax cost will be covered by vw for the life of the car but not the extra fuel costs. Talk about taking the shine of the new car before you even get it.

Can confirm this too. It's a shame. But let's see how much it really impacts the figures...

• Like 2

Can confirm this too. It's a shame. But let's see how much it really impacts the figures...

Your absolutely right Dilz I'm not deciding what I'm going to do until I know the true effect. And let face it what out there even comes close to the superb for size (both inside and out) refinement and cost. So what if it is a bit less efficient when you compare it to the alternative petrol in this class it is still a better proposal. The only car that comes close is the mazda 6 2.0 sport nav and that has a smaller boot less interior space and less efficient and slower.

I just don't want to go to a diesel I've had 15 years of them and I want a change (no more dpf issues). Not that I will let that make me not try to negotiate a further discount if it is included in the scandal I'm sure they have put money aside to compensate people for the reduction in fuel economy.

But let's see what people think, what car would you all go for instead of a superb 1.4 tsi. (Petrol's only) can't think of many.

• Like 1

Collected last night a Superb III SE L Exec 1.4TSI 150 DSG hatchback in Petrol Blue Metallic with Beige Interior.  Extras include Heated windscreen, rear wiper, rear camera, colour multidot and travel assist.

Having changed from a Skoda II  Elegance 170 TDi 4x4 I can say that the 1.4 TSI is both a great deal quieter and the DSG is seamlessly smooth and would appear to be plenty powerful enough.

Ordered the exact same car, colour and interior but only front heated windscreen and rear wiper.

Mats, tunnel mats and flip-out boot mat will be coming from Superskoda.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-original-Skoda-rubber-mat-over-the-rear-tunnel

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-Limousine-flip-folding-boot-mat-textile-rubber-original-Skoda-Autoas

We haven't got her yet. Only placed the order on Wednesday, we've been given a estimate of first or second week of February. :(

We had wanted her for 1st March but was offered a discount if we order now.

Ours will be manual to your DSG.

How are you getting on with the 'parking brake switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the discussion is around the 1.4 TSI ACT but what about the ordinary 1.4 TSI with 125 BHP? Does anyone own it or have made test drive?

Common sense says that it should be enough because the body weight of the combi is 1320 kg.

I'm interested to order Superb III Combi with 1.4 TSI 125BHP but before that it could be great to hear other opinions.