2.0 TDI - I think I should get a litre of oil for top-ups

I know some folk got a "free" litre from the dealer when new, but I didn't.

If this is a standard Skoda thing and I should have had one included, someone shout - and I'll shakedown the dealer.

Failing that - can anyone recommend a low-hassle source for a litre of the appropriate spec oil at a good price.

Halfrauds? or worth mail-ordering even for just a litre?

I have 2 Skodas, both came with oil when new and I get another one each time either is serviced.

I have never had to add oil between services, so now I have loads of the things

I think the 1-litre of top up oil is a dealer thing rather than standard from Skoda but I did also get one with mine.

If you are buying oil you can also check Amazon as last year they had 5L of Castrol Edge Pro (same as the top-up I recieved) for less than 20Gbp if I remember correctly.

The vrs had spare oil, but scout didn't come with any - different dealer though. Never put any in on the 10k miles servicing intervals on the vrs though - scouts only done 700 miles so don't know yet if she's a burner or not.

• 1 month later...

Vegit8 - the "free" oil you get with services is usually on your invoice. Used half litre oil in my FL 1.9 TDI in 46000 miles.

Quite so - but it costs £0.00...

• Like 1

My citigo came with a top up oil. Ever been used.......it's somewhere just cannot remember as I got fed up of it in the boot.

Actually all my new Skoda's have come with a top up....but yes it is dealer issue rather than Skoda UK

• Like 1

Mine didn't some with any oil from the dealer. I did ask if I should have got any and was told no.

I bought 4 litres from somewhere, maybe eBay, for top ups. Have used a drop, barely anything really. Maybe 4 litres is excessive but it'll last me a while :)

When I picked up my Blackline two years ago there was no bottle of oil included - when I visited the dealer a couple of weeks later I mentioned it and was handed oil and fabric pouch there and then, no questions - just need to speak up!

Doubt they give it away free. A 1 litre top up is over £10 for synthetic and DPF compliant oil, so we're being charged for it somehow. Dealer mark up on oil is usually pretty high. 

My vrs didn't have any oil but I asked if it should come with one if not I'd buy one and they gave me one of the packs in the little pouch with a litre for free. They also said to me at my last service if it uses any oil pop in and they would top it up for free although nothing in writing...

• Like 1

I have 2 Skodas, both came with oil when new and I get another one each time either is serviced.

I have never had to add oil between services, so now I have loads of the things

Lucky bugger - I never got a free one when I bought the car and never received one on either of the previous 2 services.

Mind you I have never had to top it up since the day I collected so it would only be sitting there unused.

• Like 1

How come I've had to use a litre on my TSi?  :wonder:

As you will know anyway each engine is different, in reality no-one else's experiences matter! If your car has used a litre I assume whilst being run in then I wouldn't worry it happens.

When I worked as a tech in a Citroen franchise, my god some engines used loads but Citroen requested the owner bring it back after 1,000 miles for a free check, probably so they didn't see how much had disappeared!!