The 280PS Thread

I can't wait.....

Probably getting a test drive next week, maybe two if we are prepared to drive to Brum. 

I'll report back later in the week.

DC

For info, Walkers Kings Lynn has a black 280 L&K Estate demo! don't know whether that is too far for you though.

I can't wait.....

Probably getting a test drive next week, maybe two if we are prepared to drive to Brum. 

DC

Do it, you know that you need to ;)

I can't wait.....

DC

Sorry DC Spielberg is not going to be worrying about my video efforts !! :-)

Here it is then.... Sounds like a Solenoid is doing 'something'. If you listen carefully you can hear 'it' doing something as the throttle is depressed and then a more pronounced 'click' as the revs spool down...

https://youtu.be/jaBZtssMvM8

Sorry DC Spielberg is not going to be worrying about my video efforts !! :-)

Here it is then.... Sounds like a Solenoid is doing 'something'. If you listen carefully you can hear 'it' doing something as the throttle is depressed and then a more pronounced 'click' as the revs spool down...

https://youtu.be/jaBZtssMvM8

That's strange Nick, I know that some motorcycles have a "flap" in the exhaust system to effectively alter the length of the exhaust to produce more power and noise examples of this are Yamaha with their "Exup" arrangement and Harley-Davidson have an exhaust actuator which I believe is to do with noise regulations (normally by-passed or replaced with something more interesting ;))  

Not heard of this with cars though, always ready to be corrected though ......... hmmmmmm I wonder if Akrapovič do a full system :D 

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

That's strange Nick, I know that some motorcycles have a "flap" in the exhaust system to effectively alter the length of the exhaust to produce more power and noise examples of this are Yamaha with their "Exup" arrangement and Harley-Davidson have an exhaust actuator which I believe is to do with noise regulations (normally by-passed or replaced with something more interesting ;))  

Yeah thats what I was thinking .... Wonder why Alex's car doesnt do it though ? Maybe I have an unpaid for extra lol !! Just had a hunt around on Youtube for Golf R's and Cupra 280's but not found any similar noise.

Give it a go when you have a sec and see if yours does it ...

Edited by Nick_H

Yeah thats what I was thinking .... Wonder why Alex's car doesnt do it though ? Maybe I have an unpaid for extra lol !! Just had a hunt around on Youtube for Golf R's and Cupra 280's but not found any similar noise.

Give it a go when you have a sec and see if yours does it ...

Now that I've heard it on your video I can confirm mine does make the same click.

I was being too gentle with the revs (needed a bit more than a blip).

Absolutely no idea what it is but at least it's not something unique to your car.

• Like 1

Now that I've heard it on your video I can confirm mine does make the same click.

I was being too gentle with the revs (needed a bit more than a blip).

Absolutely no idea what it is but at least it's not something unique to your car.

Thats good then... You need a 10 year old on the throttle :-D

• Like 1

For info, Walkers Kings Lynn has a black 280 L&K Estate demo! don't know whether that is too far for you though.

Thanks, I've been told that they were expecting a 280 demo, but not for a week or so.

I have family in Norwich, perhaps a visit is called for in the very near future?

Danke, DC

Thanks, I've been told that they were expecting a 280 demo, but not for a week or so.

I have family in Norwich, perhaps a visit is called for in the very near future?

Danke, DC

Okay, sorry.....they told me available from the 1st March 3 weeks ago!

Personally I have ordered mine blind, did the same with my wife's beetle and still have it near 13 years later....never the same having some goon salesman sat next to you anyway!

Okay, sorry.....they told me available from the 1st March 3 weeks ago!

Personally I have ordered mine blind, did the same with my wife's beetle and still have it near 13 years later....never the same having some goon salesman sat next to you anyway!

No worries, I'll check with them tomorrow.

I bought my Superb after the sales guy, (Lee Harrison, late of the now defunct Preston Motors) said here's the keys, please bring it back before the close of business.

So, I took it home, tried a start on our local hill, parked it in the garage & scooted back to Forest Gate. 

No pressure, familiar roads, liked it, bought it, still got it 3 years on.

Oldest trick in the book, let the punter sell him / her self the car!

Cheers, DC.

I bought my Superb after the sales guy, (Lee Harrison, late of the now defunct Preston Motors) said here's the keys, please bring it back before the close of business.

So, I took it home, tried a start on our local hill, parked it in the garage & scooted back to Forest Gate. 

Cheers, DC.

Wow, lucky you......I only ever had that once, many moons ago with a used MG Maestro!!

Cheers, DC.

Standard procedure at car dealerships in Germany. It is indeed really tedious here to have to have a chaperone.

• Like 1

Cheers, DC.

That's the benefit of buying from someone that knows you and you have had dealings with, Transcity are like that with my Brother and myself :)

• Like 2

That's the benefit of buying from someone that knows you and you have had dealings with, Transcity are like that with my Brother and myself :)

Transcity did the same for us not so long after the Mk3 Octy vRS went on sale. 

We thought we would have a chaperone, but we were on our own, in W.stow!  t was difficult to know to turn left or right into Hoe Street

& where to go next.

We went left, past the station & then wanted to get over toward the Woodford New Road but found that the rat-runs I used to know have been blocked!

Made it in the end, went up the M11 to Debden & then back through Woodford & Forest Road, but we didn't quite like it enough to buy one.

She still thinks I should by another Superb, which is why it's test drive time!

DC

• Like 1

Hi all - just joined my first Skoda forum after spending 10 years on Land Rover and Range Rover ones; I hope that doesn't go against me! I have just sold my 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Black and am excited at the prospect of my forthcoming Superb Estate (Combi?) L&K 280 4x4 in Moon White with Anthracite 19” alloys. I may also have gone a bit mad with the spec list - I only left out: partition net, sun blinds and waste basket. Anyway car is due mid April. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience and ownership thoughts and getting to know a few Skoda owners on here - it's my first Skoda and I'm really excited about it after so many Land Rovers.

Welcome :-) Great engine and coour choice !

• Like 1

At least a couple of people on here have mentioned having winter tyres for their 280. So help, please:

Which tyre did you get, and from where?

My favoured local tyre dealer cannot source any W-rated tyres and neither can my Skoda dealer! V-rated is the best they can find.

Incidentally, I have the 18” Pegasus rims so need 235/45r18s (don’t fancy trying to rush-purchase different rims).

I thought I'd give Syron a try. I have their W rated Everest 1 Plus tyres fitted. I expected cheap & nasty but, like food and drink, I figured you should try at least once before criticising.

It was slated in one review for wet grip (Auto-Bild) so with that in mind I drove like a hooligan when we had atrocious wet conditions towards end of last year, driving at high speed through deep puddles, emergency braking from ever higher speeds -  not very scientific but for me it instilled confidence in their wet performance.

Just at the weekend I tried the launch control on a wet road, expecting the tyres to lose grip, but no, not even a hint of slippage.

The bonus is they're ridiculous cheap (they have a tie-in with Nexen to reduce costs and offer below-market pricing) and they are quiet - rated B - certainly quieter than the Pirellis that came with the car.

(Un)Fortunately I haven't had the opportunity to test them in snow but they performed well in freezing conditions.

My attitude was try them for one winter. If they're crap I'll switch to Conti's. Well, I won't be switching them for the foreseeable.

I sourced mine online from Tyre Leaders who import them from Germany.

• Like 1

I got Continental Winter Contact TS 850 P 235/45 R18 98V from Tyre Leader £553 for four delivered in two days from ordering, have used them a few times now and can recommend them.

You don't really need the top rate for winter tyres as you shouldn't really be going much over 149mph in winter conditions!. You can set the cars top limit if you want.

They seem fine on the 280 to me but have not had a chance to use them in wintry conditions because once again we have had no winter in the south!

Do need them though for trips to Germany that I do in November and March.

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I should have looked into this and asked sooner. I’m out of time for a shipment from Germany – cannot be sure enough it’ll be just 2-3 days in my case.

It’s a nuanced decision for this trip (starting Saturday) anyway as the forecast daytime temperatures are well over 7C.

But I’ll definitely bear that supplier and especially those Syrons in mind for next winter. At that price it doesn’t seem so bad burning them up quickly on warmer days!

I’m out of time for a shipment from Germany – cannot be sure enough it’ll be just 2-3 days in my case.

The 72 hours they quote is a misnomer. That's their order process time. Add a week to that for them to arrive.

I should also add that buying them during the summer months often results in them being offered at further discounted prices.

My car arrived in October so I was already into the peak winter tyre sales period.